Lockdown Lunacy

Who knows, I sold it immediately. You know my motto 'if it don't work don't fix it....sell it'

I thought the motto was "Selfix it" :)

My Dad's Zeiss Ikon Contina L

Zeiss Ikon Contina L by Chris H, on Flickr

I've shot this before but I fancied seeing what 4x5 was like when stand developed last night so this is Formapan 400 in HC110 G for 60 mins, via a MPP micro technical. Click through for the large version, I'm quite pleased with the way it came out

My Dad's Zeiss Ikon Contina L

Zeiss Ikon Contina L by Chris H, on Flickr

I've shot this before but I fancied seeing what 4x5 was like when stand developed last night so this is Formapan 400 in HC110 G for 60 mins, via a MPP micro technical. Click through for the large version, I'm quite pleased with the way it came out

Im viewing on a phone atm but for semi stand dev and Foma 400 ( shot at box or pushed?), looks nickel ;)

Based on this one attempt, highly recommended. I'll definitely be developing more of this Forma that way.

as I have Foma 400 for portraits and atm using it in the snapshot I may have a go too inc a push to 800 or maybe even 1600.

Off topic, but what's the upper book? I like books...

Off topic, but what's the upper book? I like books...

It is 'The Children's Golden Encyclopaedia' I think it was printed in 1933. I use it a lot as it has some fabulous chapter headings.

Really like the lighting on that Andy, mind me asking what you used?

The Sun through a window in the morning, I rarely use anything else. I do have a big old softbox (ooer!!!) And a couple of single bulbs and stands but I haven't a clue how to use them to any effect so there's the Sun.

You can never have too many cameras.

You can never have too many of anything you want! There's None; Not Enough; Enough; More Than Enough but never Too Many!

The Sun through a window in the morning, I rarely use anything else. I do have a big old softbox (ooer!!!) And a couple of single bulbs and stands but I haven't a clue how to use them to any effect so there's the Sun.
What is this "sun" thing of which you speak?

:)

What is this "sun" thing of which you speak?

:)

An astronomical phenomena seen only in the most southern reaches of the grim north and then only rarely. :)

Sorry Asha, I was being a bit forward there. I'll be happy to remove it, if you wish.
By the sounds of it you can’t get a film pic of it anyway so I’ll let you off but only if you get snapping to rectify that and post up a film shot of summat filmie ;)

Sayshe who still hasn’t yet added a pic to his own thread:oops: :$

Blinking heck, my photo of the 3 Yashica TLRs was digital photo and, for most people, it would probably take at lest a couple of weeks to stage, shoot, send off for processing, and receive back, then tweak and upload their photos... by that stage, this (potentially quite interesting) thread would have been mostly forgotten about and well down the postings list. :(

Yes, it's about film cameras, and it's particularly fitting to use film photography to capture the beauty of film cameras... but, in the meantime, if that has to be done with a digital camera then where's the harm in that? It's not like a film camera will turn to dust if photographed by a digital camera (I did test this hypothesis on a cheap, broken, film camera, just in case... and from what I can tell, they really don't turn to dust! ;)). So what the heck, does it really matter for the first couple of weeks whether those classic angles have been captured by silver halide or digital pixels?

In the interest of fun and fair play, how about digital photos of film cameras are allowed for one month (from starting date of this post); then, after that, we can apply to the Mods to have any digital photo of a camera removed from this thread if it really annoys us?

Well I don't mind digi shots of film equipment, we could use film for better things\subjects than just a record shot of what we own..

Oh well, the idea of the thread was to encourage us, as filmies,to remain active with film during these difficult times where many of us can’t get out to take ‘better photos of things/subjects. ´
‘Yes in one way capturing images of our gear could be classed as record shots but that could be said of any subject matter.

I get the impression that the whole essence of the thread has either been misunderstood ( if so then next time I’ll explain in more detail the idea behind it!), or folk simply can’t be arsed.

I did offer the thread open to discussion and ideas so fair enough Mr B has indeed come forward with one, albeit a little way into the thread.
‘If displaying digi snapshots is the way you would prefer to progress then fair enough , I’m happy enough for you to do that but count me out as I don’t need additional encouragement not to dig out and use film kit......lockdown offers enough!

Last edited:
Great idea Asha that would work for those who have LF and for the rest if you had to finish up a roll of film OR with the interview with Tyler on youtube posted recently and he said "If you can't take a photo within one mile of your house then you are just lazy"

Great idea Asha that would work for those who have LF and for the rest if you had to finish up a roll of film OR with the interview with Tyler on youtube posted recently and he said "If you can't take a photo within one mile of your house then you are just lazy"

So no one devs film at home but me then??!!

‘Whatever! ...... I thought I was doing us a favour by trying to offer some encouragement ..... clearly I was mistaken by my ideas.

Perhaps you or someone else would like to offer a way to keep ourselves occupied with film during lockdown that will work for everyone regardless of format or processing method and be if common interest ??

Alternatively , we could start a purpose thread on the values of film kit so we can sell up ( to someone else who can find a way to occupy themselves with it whilst stuck at home! ), to fund a different pastime more suited to present circumstances..... Knitting anyone???!!

‘Whatever! ...... I thought I was doing us a favour by trying to offer some encouragement ..... clearly I was mistaken by my ideas.

Nothing wrong with ideas\suggestions as it keep the flow of threads going for us to talk. You've got more posts than some of my suggestions in the past :(

This is all my fault.

I apologise profusely.

Please don't let my idiocy affect the thread.
Thanks for the apology Simon but to be fair it’s not all your fault.

‘It’s not a question of blame, I do wish however that perhaps folk had discussed their opinions and ideas early on in the thread.

As it is a few togs have posted some cracking film shots of their film kit so not all has been ´lost’.

Hold on, I don't think anyone is criticising the idea, I think it's a good one, but not everyone develops their own film, particularly colour film. Hence my comment about the danger of the thread being forgotten about after the first flush of 'thread ready' film photos that people already had on file get posted.

Not everyone is sitting around at home during lockdown, for some of us it's work pretty much as usual, for others it's working from home, plus having to do shopping for people who are shielding, etc. So take up might be slower than expected, as people have to find the time to do a shoot of their camera/s. As long as you are prepared to bump the thread back up once a week or so then it might not drift off into oblivion and people will be reminded to take some photos.

You only have to look at the disappearance of the 'weekly' New Old Film Photos competition to see that people can and do forget things. If you're upset about people posting digital photos then let us know and I'm sure no one will mind deleting them... but don't be surprised if the thread is a bit quiet for a few weeks until the film photos start to come in, or people just forget about it altogether because they're not seeing it pop up regularly enough to remember.

Last edited:
Sometimes my brain fails to function even minimally. I had intended to take a photo of my Rolleiflex Automat before I sell it. Loaded a camera, set up the tripod and my usual background and stand, all good....then I remembered I'd already packaged it up ready to post, doh!!!!
Anyway it's in the classifieds if anyone fancies one.

Last edited:
I've had a hankering for a macro lens for a while, and every time I start to search for one, I see a mention of a Raynox. That's when I get out my Raynox and take some macro pictures which then reminds me that I'd be wasting money buying a macro lens, because the Raynox is good enough for me.

So having just shot a roll of HP5+ at 1600 (in DD-X) mostly with the DCR-250 on the front of the tiny Canon 40mm STM. The distortion is surely a bit marmite, but I really like it.

2020-11-23-hp5-1600-eos1v-06.jpg

I've had a hankering for a macro lens for a while, and every time I start to search for one, I see a mention of a Raynox. That's when I get out my Raynox and take some macro pictures which then reminds me that I'd be wasting money buying a macro lens, because the Raynox is good enough for me.

So having just shot a roll of HP5+ at 1600 (in DD-X) mostly with the DCR-250 on the front of the tiny Canon 40mm STM. The distortion is surely a bit marmite, but I really like it.

View attachment 299759

.......you could use a darkroom enlarger lens for macro and if m39 use an adapter to m42

Back