Long overdue upgrade - help needed please.

Edit My Images
No
I know it's an old camera now but my trusty 400d has served me well and more recently my son as he gets to grips with photography.
I'm now in a position to think about a long overdue upgrade with a budget of about £500. I have a good selection of lenses including an EF 70 - 200mm F4 L so I'm looking for a body only but the market has moved on considerably since I bought the 400d.
I mainly do wildlife, landscape and portrait photography, nothing fancy but I do enjoy it.
I guess I'm after a bit of help deciding what to replace it with, I see the 250d is a good camera or should I be looking at a used model ?
Any help or ideas would be gratefully received, thank you.

It's all personal preference but I would probably stick with crop sensor, maybe even consider a slightly used camera and go with the 80D or a 7D II, budget allowing, the addition of the rear thumb wheel on these is worth its weight in gold, used for exposure compensation and independent wheels for shutter and aperture when shooting in manual

Thanks for the swift reply Karl, much appreciated. I don't have a problem looking at a used model and had my eye on a 7D ii. That's good advice regarding the thumbwheel thank you.
What would be the main difference between the 80D and 7D ii?

The 80D scores slightly better on its sensor than the 7DII, the 7Dii wins on construction, more like the weather sealing of the bigger full frame cameras

I'd suggest 80D or 7Dii.

The way the EOS range has developed since the 400D is confusing, whereas the *00D range started off as the 'budget' option there are 2(?) separate ranges below and yet the *00D range hasn't shifted up feature wise - the 7D and 7Dii caused the feature set of the *0D range to be rationalised with the knock-on effect on the *00D range. Only with the 80D and 90D has that enthusiast range become a more appealing proposition if you can;t afford a 7Dii. The 60D was a bit of a step down from the 50D IIRC...

Can't go wrong with 80D or 7Dii...

Another vote for the 7dii.
A very capable camera. A mint or excellent condition with a low shutter count, would be what to look out for.

I'd suggest 80D or 7Dii.

The way the EOS range has developed since the 400D is confusing, whereas the *00D range started off as the 'budget' option there are 2(?) separate ranges below and yet the *00D range hasn't shifted up feature wise - the 7D and 7Dii caused the feature set of the *0D range to be rationalised with the knock-on effect on the *00D range. Only with the 80D and 90D has that enthusiast range become a more appealing proposition if you can;t afford a 7Dii. The 60D was a bit of a step down from the 50D IIRC...

Thanks very much, that helps as I was confused not having kept abreast of things since e the initial purchase.

Another vote for the 7dii.
A very capable camera. A mint or excellent condition with a low shutter count, would be what to look out for.

Excellent, thank you

I think the 80d has an articulated screen which can be handy for things like macro. The 7Dii does not.

Might be better for my back as well when I'm trying to do ground level shots!

I'd suggest 80D or 7Dii.

that’s interesting, I had a 40 and 400d 12 years or so ago (in fact, the 400d is still going strong!) but haven’t paid much attention to Canon since, recently been looking and wasn’t sure how the range stood up. I still have my old 70-200f4, like the OP, so wouldn’t mind updating my Canon too.

The 77D is another camera worth considering as a step up from your 400D. It is 70% of the 80D in a rebel body.

The 77D is another camera worth considering as a step up from your 400D. It is 70% of the 80D in a rebel body.
Thanks for that, it's not a model I've really looked at before.
hat’s interesting, I had a 40 and 400d 12 years or so ago (in fact, the 400d is still going strong!) but haven’t paid much attention to Canon since, recently been looking and wasn’t sure how the range stood up. I still have my old 70-200f4, like the OP, so wouldn’t mind updating my Canon too.
The 400D like yours is great, it's just after briefly trying a friends camera late last year I was starkly aware of how things have moved on. Don't think I'd get much fro the body as a trade in to be honest even with the battery grip so will probably keep it for my son to learn on.

Thanks for that, it's not a model I've really looked at before.

The 400D like yours is great, it's just after briefly trying a friends camera late last year I was starkly aware of how things have moved on. Don't think I'd get much fro the body as a trade in to be honest even with the battery grip so will probably keep it for my son to learn on.

you’re right, not worth selling! It was my first DSLR, and while it’s not my main camera now, I still love using it every so often. Yeah, they are very basic by today’s standards aren’t they! Part of the fun of it now I think.

Back