looking for a shoulder sling/strap

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
ok i am wanting to get a shoulder sling/strap
i have looked at the op/tech utility strap are they any good or is there something else people would recommend instead
max budget about £40 will be for a D7000 and either a nikon 200-500 or sigma 150-600 depending what i walk out of the shop with this weekend :D

well as i am planning on buying the lens at Jessops the Peak Design would probably be best for me :D
im guessing the only difference with the summit editions is that they are not black

Highly recommend the Custom SLR one, there some good vids showing it put to extreme testing and I have used one for many years now

OP/Tech straps and slings are awesome as they are exceedingly modular.

Regular strap : https://www.amazon.co.uk/OP-TECH-Pr...486591886&sr=8-3&keywords=optech+camera+strap
Convert it to sling option : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003IOYXVM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or just buy their sling very but the padding is different to the pro strap above (which i've used for 9+ years)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OP-TECH-Ut...486591913&sr=8-1&keywords=optech+camera+sling

I like these over and above BR straps as they have two anchor points, i regular anchor to a heavy lens and to the body itself.

Another vote for OpTech - very comfortable, really customisable and very strong - I happily carry a gripped camera and 500 f/4 with large, non-carbon fibre monopod attached on mine.

Another vote for the Op/Tech Utility sling. I don't want something that attaches to the base of the camera as there's a tripod plate there and using the Op/Tech QD system lets me switch easily between shoulder and wrist straps.

Would definitely not recommend I've had two fall to pieces on me one was only a week old! Fortunately no camera damage.
What exactly happened with yours? How long ago? Had mines for about a year and it's been fine.

On both (different designs) the metal connector from the sling to the plate on the camera just fell to bits. This was in 2012 but they were two different designs the second supposedly better and it lasted about 5 days of my three week honeymoon! They maybe better these days but having got lucky twice with no camera damage I'm not going to risk third time lucky! On a positive note the seller was very good about exchange/refund.

I have the Q strap and 2 TP branded op/tech straps. Had a gripped D300 and Sigma 100-300 f/4 on a Q strap many a time with no issues. The op/tech are great too.

I prefer the peak design summit after trying a few.
It does come in black Peter, I have one in black and a red.

ok i am wanting to get a shoulder sling/strap
i have looked at the op/tech utility strap are they any good or is there something else people would recommend instead
max budget about £40 will be for a D7000 and either a nikon 200-500 or sigma 150-600 depending what i walk out of the shop with this weekend :D

Hi Peter my sigma 150-600mm is on my canon 70D, I use the Op/Tech and it is great to use and know need to worry about the weight at all :)

I use the op-tech dual harness (mainly with just a single body) - this spreads the weight really well, and uses 2 connection points so your camera is connected even if one fails (not that I've ever had a connector fail).

Highly recommend the Custom SLR one, there some good vids showing it put to extreme testing and I have used one for many years now

Is that a sling strap Mick? I'm still no closer to choosing one.

Everyone has their favourites, I tweeted BlackRapid to ask about the women's strap (I now know it's called the 'kick')

They didn't bother to respond twice and looking at their profile, a couple of people had tweeted about their clips snapping and one guy put a photo of his snapped clip and BR said in response 'can you email us details of any repair bills incurred'.

That's put me right off!

Everyone has their favourites, I tweeted BlackRapid to ask about the women's strap (I now know it's called the 'kick')

They didn't bother to respond twice and looking at their profile, a couple of people had tweeted about their clips snapping and one guy put a photo of his snapped clip and BR said in response 'can you email us details of any repair bills incurred'.

That's put me right off!

Yes I picked it as I think the connector to your tripod/camera better design than the blackrapid one? I have my 600mm F4 dangling from it and have used same one for years after watching videos of them swinging heavy gear around on the straps to test them?

Used to sell them locally but only seen them online now?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Custom-SLR-Glide-Strap-C-Loop/dp/B00BWYC7AY

here one of videos

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUK7G5Gy5B4

That's put me right off!

The cross shot is slim and fits both men and women. I'm sure if you search enough you will find cases of all straps failing.

Snapping a clip is impressive! The new BR have an improved clip with 2 extra fail safes on them. A little clamp that you lighten up over the clip and a further plastic clip that then goes over it. Think this is mainly to stop any metal on metal incidents.

The new line of BR straps only came out last year. They do a standard and slim version (much like the old RS7) and the small and light cross shot.

Been comfortably carrying my D750 with 70-200. Unlike others I never seem to feel it banging against my hip. But I'm also in the minority of not like peak designs at all!

I use a Black Rapid "Classic" sling strap and it's perfect for me. I use it to carry my D500 and Tamron 150-600 or 300mm F4 on walks and, when it's against your hip, you hardly even notice that it's there!

It really is a fantastic piece of kit. About £40, I think I paid.

The cross shot is slim and fits both men and women...

It's not the fit, it's the way they cross your chest and a lot I've looked at where someone is wearing it are not flattering when your chest isn't flat. You either get one boob trapped in a triangle of strap and make it particularly prominent or they squash one and it's uncomfortable :D

I know what you're saying regarding the clips and agree that any can snap, didn't say how old his was but just came across it when tweeting them.

Will keep searching, maybe I can try some out at the camera show in march

I've tried (and still got) the optech, q-strap neo (which broke), black rapid sport and peak design slide sling straps and for me the peak design in the best of the bunch all round. The BR is great, except that the camera spins on the carabiner when you're walking, and if you use with a tether (as I did for security) it's not particularly quick release. The other issue is that you can't just take the strap off and use it on a tripod. The peak design negates all of this, and imo feels the securist of the lot when I'm carrying my heavy lenses.

I still cant decide.... ;(

For me, its either BR or PD....

And I just can quite decide between the two.

I still cant decide.... ;(

For me, its either BR or PD....

And I just can quite decide between the two.

Give PD a go honestly it such a amazing strap. You just got it have it set up correctly i.e. putting the Anchor on the correct lugs..

Give PD a go honestly it such a amazing strap. You just got it have it set up correctly i.e. putting the Anchor on the correct lugs..

Ilike the idea of the PD design, but those little tiny bits of string really dont fill me with confidence,

Back