Looking towards Dartmoor.

That's interesting, I was just planning my next jaunt for next Tuesday. I was going to park at Harford Moor Gate CP and head off up to Ugborough Beacon and Butterdon Hill looks like that plan is scuppered. Anyone know of any safe parking near Ugborough Beacon? I looked at the area by St Petrocs Church, it will be ok if it is empty, @Wayne Els do you know if that is a busy spot?
I'd think midweek, low season you should be ok. The caveat being because the CP is closed it has probably become more popular to park by the church. I'd say it's worth the fifteen minutes it'd take to get there and back and have a look.

I'd think midweek, low season you should be ok. The caveat being because the CP is closed it has probably become more popular to park by the church. I'd say it's worth the fifteen minutes it'd take to get there and back and have a look.
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I have a plan B but the parking looks a bit iffy at the end of a lane under trees. I never leave valuables in my car but scrotes don't know that and the drama of a break in would certainly spoil the day.

I never leave valuables in my car but scrotes don't know that and the drama of a break in would certainly spoil the day.
Is this a problem on Dartmoor?

I am not local, but we visit quite often. I am usually careful where I park, but there are times when this is not possible.

Is this a problem on Dartmoor?

I am not local, but we visit quite often. I am usually careful where I park, but there are times when this is not possible.
The DNPA often put notices up, I think it is more of a problem in the summer holidays though. I always try to park in a recognised parking area where more people park and visit but in this instance the Car Park has been closed so parking in lanes is the only option. Some of the areas I have seen in my research just look a little too secluded so the opportunist has more privacy. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Like anywhere we seem to get spates of car break ins, quite a few cars got done up at Grimspound about 2 years ago as did Saddle Tor North Car park, those I think may have had something to do with people being spotted walking out to "the Tree" with camera gear.

I managed a trip out to Venford Falls last Tuesday, the brook was too high and fast to get into the water for my preferred composition so I went out to Bench Tor to get some shots.

021 Bench Tor 10-5897 PS Adj.JPG

The "Twin Falls" had become triplets, no chance of getting into that water with a Fuji GFX on a Tripod.

004 Venford Brook (Venford Falls 1) 04-5867 PS Adj.JPG

There were some nice views from Bench Tor though.

017 Bench Tor 06-5886 PS Adj.JPG

However the weather was hard on my heels so it was time to head back to the car.

025 Bench Tor 14-5908 PS Adj.JPG

You can see the full story in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Very good, wish I could be there.

Can someone remove that fallen tree in front of the falls.

I have been into Dartmoor Last yea an amazing "must visit" place for photographers. I was amazed by the shape of trees in Westman woods here. as I am not a great photographer I couldn't capture much. this is one of my pictures that was taken from there.
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194164949@N06/51572802754/

Wistmans Wood seems to be on everyone's 'must see' list and sadly your image shows just what an impact this is having. If only everyone could be sensible and look without touching.
Nusurath - I'm sure you only looked and photographed, but those boulders should be covered in moss. People tear it off as your photo shows. I really don't know why.

I suppose people think that they are being artistic and do not consider that what they are doing is causing damage to a fragile habitat. I don't understand why people can't just look and appreciate what they see without trying to change it.

I don't go past there very often as I tend to come into the area above there from Omen Beam (easier to park there than in the quarry) but I remember it from many years ago as looking very different to how it does now. And I seem to remember signs asking people to keep out.............and saw people taking no notice. What's going on now is not new, it's just moved up a notch. :(

Wistmans Wood seems to be on everyone's 'must see' list and sadly your image shows just what an impact this is having. If only everyone could be sensible and look without touching.
Nusurath - I'm sure you only looked and photographed, but those boulders should be covered in moss. People tear it off as your photo shows. I really don't know why.
it is indeed a shame people did like that,

I don't go past there very often as I tend to come into the area above there from Omen Beam (easier to park there than in the quarry) but I remember it from many years ago as looking very different to how it does now. And I seem to remember signs asking people to keep out.............and saw people taking no notice. What's going on now is not new, it's just moved up a notch. :(

I read somewhere that Wishmans Wood was being closed to the public due to the damage being caused. False information?

I managed to find safe parking near to Western Beacon so Mrs T and I went for a walk up Western Beacon over Butterdon Hill then stopped for lunch at Hangershell Rock before going over to Ugborough Beacon. You can see the full story in my Blog. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Here are a couple from the walk.

Ugborough Beacon.

027 Ugborough Beacon 02-5958 PS Adj.JPG

Western Beacon.

005 Western Beacon 02-5918 PS Adj.JPG

Butterdon Hill.

018 Butterdon Hill Trig Point 02-5943 PS Adj.JPG

Hangershell Rock.

023 Hangershell Rock 03-5953 PS Adj.JPG

A Pony.

012 Western Beacon (Pony) 09-5930 PS Adj.JPG

Had another trip out on South Dartmoor last week, visited Tristis Rock, Stalldown Barrow and shot Piles Copse plus a couple of bridges for good measure, you can see the full story over on my blog, https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog but here are a couple of tasters.

Tristis Rock.

004 Tristis Rock 02-5972 PS Adj.JPG

Harford Bridge.

001 Harford Bridge 01-0999 PS Adj.JPG

Last edited:
Had another trip out on South Dartmoor last week, visited Tristis Rock, Stalldown Barrow and shot Piles Copse plus a couple of bridges for good measure, you can see the full story over on my blog, https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog but here are a couple of tasters.

Tristis Rock.

View attachment 333817

HArford Bridge.

View attachment 333816
If all goes to plan I should be staying near Chillaton for a week from next Frid. Any recommendations for nearby photographic sites.

There's plenty to choose from on that West side of the Moor from Okehampton (Yes Tor and High Willhays, down through Meldon Reservoir to Sourton Tors down to Brat Tor (Widgery's Cross) then on to Cox Tor etc all within easy reach of Chillaton. Check out my Blog on ePHOTOzine, https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog you'll see loads of walks then just choose from the map which are best suited to your time and ability.

Also check on the Military Range Firing Times as some of the places are in their Danger Area. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dartmoor-firing-programme

Last edited:
A quick shout out for Lydford Castle worth a visit.

Brent Tor is very close to where we stay, very scenic especially in the evenings.

I will add Lydford Castle to the list.

Went out to Wistman's Wood and Crockern Tor this week, the weather was changeable better for walking than shooting.

009 View of Wistman's Wood 01-6119 PS Adj.JPG

016 Wistman's Wood (GFX) 06-1870 PS Adj.JPG

This is a 9 shot stitched Pano from Crockern Tor looking East, if you look closely you can make out Haytor Rocks in the distance on the left quarter.

Pano from Crockern Tor-PS Adj.JPG

As usual you can see the full story in my Blog. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

From this week's Photowalk up to Widgery Cross then out to Arms Tor Great and Little Links Tors. The keen eyed of you will recognise Rippon Tor and Haytor Rocks in the far distance.

022 View of Ger and Hare Tors plus Cox, Gt Mis etc B&W 01-6344 PS Adj.JPG

You can see the full story in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Last edited:
Got that area planned for my next visit, hopefully before Christmas if the weather plays ball (it's usually suitable only on the days I have other commitments). but going a bit further - out to Bleak House and Green Tor and taking in Foxholes Mine and Doe Tor, deliberately planned to stay out of the ranges.
I looked at your Haytor visit blog and I still feel sad that the three trees (I always thought they were larches but I may be wrong) I've known for so long are now two (I know - I should be over it by now. It's nature - it happens.......sentimental twaddle :LOL: )

@Topsy that wasn't Tuesday, was it? I was in the Bellever area that day and saw the cloud sitting on the tops further north. It was beautiful sunshine where I was early on but clagged in midday-ish, though always below the cloud base. Not many people around - funnily enough.

@Topsy that wasn't Tuesday, was it? I was in the Bellever area that day and saw the cloud sitting on the tops further north. It was beautiful sunshine where I was early on but clagged in midday-ish, though always below the cloud base. Not many people around - funnily enough.
Yes Jan it was Tuesday, there's more details in my Blog which I put up this morning. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Got that area planned for my next visit, hopefully before Christmas if the weather plays ball (it's usually suitable only on the days I have other commitments). but going a bit further - out to Bleak House and Green Tor and taking in Foxholes Mine and Doe Tor, deliberately planned to stay out of the ranges.
I looked at your Haytor visit blog and I still feel sad that the three trees (I always thought they were larches but I may be wrong) I've known for so long are now two (I know - I should be over it by now. It's nature - it happens.......sentimental twaddle :LOL: )
We had planned to go out to Bleak House but that clod fog changed our plans when we were in it on Gt Links Tor.

Back