Looking towards Dartmoor.

Not though.

Paul, please take it as read that I like all the shots you post in this thread (and PM me when the book comes out!)

Not though.

Paul, please take it as read that I like all the shots you post in this thread (and PM me when the book comes out!)
Thanks, it'll be 2 years away, I'm only on the recce's at the moment which are pretty much all hand held with a Fuji X-T2 and 16-55 lens. Need to travel fairly light to cover the distance scope as many targets as I can in any one day out, hence I take whatever light is there at the time I get there. I'm looking for subjects and compositions on the recces, the good stuff with nice light will be next year once I have narrowed my subjects down to a manageable number.

I checked the state of the Bluebells at Emsworthy at the weekend, still at least another week before any major bloom.
Not a wasted walk though as I also spotted Curlews, Owls and Cuckoos.

Spectacular I expect but it's a fair trek out to find out.

It's not too bad if you go round the reservoir at Meldon to get there.

It's not too bad if you go round the reservoir at Meldon to get there.
Yes, we went up Longstone Hill and over to Black Tor first then down to the Copse and back along the river to the reservoir. The ground between the Tor and the edge of the reservoir is very wet underfoot but loads of photo ops along that route.

Yes, we went up Longstone Hill and over to Black Tor first then down to the Copse and back along the river to the reservoir. The ground between the Tor and the edge of the reservoir is very wet underfoot but loads of photo ops along that route.

Agree, the river has some lovely spots for long exposures (if that's your thing). I need to get myself out that way a bit more as there are some really nice views around there, some of the most spectacular on the moor IMHO.

Managed another jaunt on Dartmoor today despite the rain. Yes Tor and High Willhays were the destinations.

Here's a couple of shots from the trip.

View from Yes Tor towards West Mill Tor-4236 PS Adj.jpg

High Willhays 01-4241 PS Adj.jpg

Those clouds tell a story that did unfold but we missed the worst of it.

A couple more from the day.

Yes Tor Trig Point-4235 PS Adj.jpg

Row Tor and Anti Tank Range-4246 PS Adj.jpg

On the way home we passed Okehampton Castle, it would have been rude not to.................

OKE Castle-4247 PS Adj.jpg

Haven't got down there as I've had 2 weeks in NW Scotland. Planning Tuesday. That'll be over High Willies/Yes Tor again but sort of one step across from last time. Temperature is forecast 15 deg which will suit me. Don't want it any warmer!

I checked the state of the Bluebells at Emsworthy at the weekend, still at least another week before any major bloom.
Not a wasted walk though as I also spotted Curlews, Owls and Cuckoos.

Came down off the Moor via Dartmeet on Wednesday and there were some Bluebells at the bottom of the hill near the car park. Was running a little late so didn't stop for my usual ice cream!

One from Tuesday. Row Tor to Brim Brook Foot by the usual somewhat indirect route. It was definitely a bit warmer than I was hoping it was going to be. For me walking and heat just don't belong together. It's the people I see tripping along in shorts, vests, no rucksacks and the sort of walking shoes that look like trainers. They're not going far, or onto rough terrain. Years ago I knackered an ankle tendon on a long walk on the Dartmoor tussocks - in boots with good ankle support. There was something slightly odd about lunch sitting on top of a tor when usually I'm huddling underneath trying to find shelter.... The downside was that having dragged the stove with me my matches decided not to play, so I had no tea. I'm about to order one of those turbo lighters!

Lints Tor by Jannyfox, on Flickr

but I couldn't stop.

Harley brakes? :p :p :p

My original plan for Wednesday was to turn off the Princetown/Ashburton road, take a few snaps at Huccaby/Hexworthy bridge then head back via Buckfast, Totnes etc. but I was behind schedule and it was foggy so stayed on the Ashburton road.

I'm about to order one of those turbo lighters!

If a Zippo would do, I'm fairly sure I have a brand new (never filled!) one somewhere. Drop me a PM if you want it (and put a wanted ad in the classies to keep within rules!) for a couple of quid in a suitable charity tin.

If a Zippo would do, I'm fairly sure I have a brand new (never filled!) one somewhere. Drop me a PM if you want it (and put a wanted ad in the classies to keep within rules!) for a couple of quid in a suitable charity tin.

Thanks for the kind offer but I'm getting one of the TurboFlame ones. I've thought before about getting an 'ordinary' ie cigarette lighter but I need one that will light the gas from a safe distance in any conditions, and will light both my gas stove and my partner's Trangia. He doesn't go to Dartmoor with me - he doesn't like the place. Just as well - it's somewhere I've always felt the need to be alone.

Reactions: Nod
No worries, Jan. It was given to me by a fiend*edit* fRiend(!!!) who didn't know I had given up smoking shortly before she gave it to me and has stayed in its tin ever since! Probably a valuable collectors' classic now!!!

Last edited:
I wonder if the migration has sped my postings in this thread?

Yup!

I am going to be driving from Exeter to Newquay in the summer. Ideally without too much of a detour - any good suggestions of where to stop to see a bit of Dartmoor?

I am going to be driving from Exeter to Newquay in the summer. Ideally without too much of a detour - any good suggestions of where to stop to see a bit of Dartmoor?
Depends what you mean by not too much of a detour and seeing a bit of Dartmoor. I would recommend going from Exeter to Moretonhampstead then on to 2 Bridges before going through Tavistock to Sourton Cross to join the A 30, however, whilst you will see plenty of Dartmoor it is a fair bit of a detour since the easy way to Newquay is straight down the A 30. You don't say where you are located geographically, is this just a leg of a bigger trip or do you live in the Exeter area?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Depends what you mean by not too much of a detour and seeing a bit of Dartmoor. I would recommend going from Exeter to Moretonhampstead then on to 2 Bridges before going through Tavistock to Sourton Cross to join the A 30, however, whilst you will see plenty of Dartmoor it is a fair bit of a detour since the easy way to Newquay is straight down the A 30. You don't say where you are located geographically, is this just a leg of a bigger trip or do you live in the Exeter area?
Thaks a lot, I should have said I live in South London and we are going to Cornwall. Last year I was in Devon and was going to Dartmoor for a day trip but the car broke - it was bit of an expensive day out.
I can't make much of a detour as the passengers will be impatient by this stage - would we be able to see anything from the A30?

Thaks a lot, I should have said I live in South London and we are going to Cornwall. Last year I was in Devon and was going to Dartmoor for a day trip but the car broke - it was bit of an expensive day out.
I can't make much of a detour as the passengers will be impatient by this stage - would we be able to see anything from the A30?

You will see the end of Cosdon, the end of the Belstone ridge, the end of the Sourton ridge from the A30, but it's not a great view. Also the A30 there is a fast road and something of an accident black spot, so it doesn't pay to be distracted. You see even less from the A38. If you want to 'see a bit of Dartmoor' Topsy's route is the way to go. Two ways to get to Moretonhampstead from the A30. Take the 1st junction after you join the A30 from the M5 (Ide). On paper it's the most direct route but it's narrow, turns so often you end up half expecting to meet yourself coming the other way and the locals use it as a race track. Or you go on to Whiddon down and almost turn back on youself. Most of it's a better road, until you get to the single track bits...... When I'm heading for the road across the middle of the moor I usually come through Bovey Tracey, Haytor, Widecombe and work my way through the single track lanes, but your passengers may not thank you for that.

You will see the end of Cosdon, the end of the Belstone ridge, the end of the Sourton ridge from the A30, but it's not a great view. Also the A30 there is a fast road and something of an accident black spot, so it doesn't pay to be distracted. You see even less from the A38. If you want to 'see a bit of Dartmoor' Topsy's route is the way to go. Two ways to get to Moretonhampstead from the A30. Take the 1st junction after you join the A30 from the M5 (Ide). On paper it's the most direct route but it's narrow, turns so often you end up half expecting to meet yourself coming the other way and the locals use it as a race track. Or you go on to Whiddon down and almost turn back on youself. Most of it's a better road, until you get to the single track bits...... When I'm heading for the road across the middle of the moor I usually come through Bovey Tracey, Haytor, Widecombe and work my way through the single track lanes, but your passengers may not thank you for that.
Thanks for that. When I drive I see what is in front of me and can run in front of me - I ignore the scenery.
I was however going to ask the passengers to keep an eye out to see where to stop.
The good news is that according to Google maps it is only twenty minutes longer to go via Moretonhampstead to Newquay.
The bad new is that it is already a long journey. Saying that thank you all - hopefully I can persuade them.

I like to put a firm address in my sat nav and I might return on my way back.
Would the pony sanctuary -Wormhill Farm, Newton Abbot TQ13 8RG - be a good place to aim for? (I will just change the sat nav when I find somewhere nice).

I like to put a firm address in my sat nav and I might return on my way back.
Would the pony sanctuary -Wormhill Farm, Newton Abbot TQ13 8RG - be a good place to aim for? (I will just change the sat nav when I find somewhere nice).

Had to look that up although I've driven past it lots of times. Yes, that's on the road from Moreton to Postbridge/Two Bridges. If I use a sat nav at all I put in my locations as a lat/long as none of them have postcodes..... (I use a standalone sat nav as my old Defender doesn't have one and neither does my little runaround).

Another vote for Topsy's route through Moretonhampstead. Fairly easy to get at from the M5/A38 using Jan's first route.

Another vote for Topsy's route through Moretonhampstead. Fairly easy to get at from the M5/A38 using Jan's first route.
Oh yes! Now I remember why we moved away from the moor - all the grockles getting lost and asking for directions while we were busy with other things... :naughty: :exit::LOL:

Oh yes! Now I remember why we moved away from the moor - all the grockles getting lost and asking for directions while we were busy with other things... :naughty: :exit::LOL:

Just reminded me of the time when I stayed at Haytor and a grockle asked in a thick American accent if she was on the right road to Widecombe..... except she pronounced it as it's spelt - wide coombe. I must have turned into the archetypal Devon yokel as I went W...? W...? 'Oh you mean Widdycum' :LOL:

A god might know how she'd cope with Woolfardisworthy or Loughborough.

A god might know how she'd cope with Woolfardisworthy or Loughborough.
I never could, :naughty:

Decades ago, I had to drive through the place once a week, on my way home from Hartland. I couldn't have coped with it twice in a day!

I have managed to get a lot more time in Dartmoor - any recommendations for places to buy some food and take photos?

I never could, :naughty:

Decades ago, I had to drive through the place once a week, on my way home from Hartland. I couldn't have coped with it twice in a day!

Woolsery ;) simple, innit :giggle:

Back