Lost my photography mojo

Name
Peter Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a Pentax K-r and a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro, but over the last year it's stayed in my bag. On occasions I have picked it up and thought, too big and heavy and left it at home. So in an attempt to get my photography mojo back, I am considering selling up and getting either a Fuji X-T10 and the 18-55mm or an Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Camera with 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens (about the same price). I understand the Fuji's 18-55mm is a better lens than the Olympus 14-42mm, but bigger. Can anyone recommend either of these cameras.

Many thanks

Pete Ryan

Last edited:
I currently have a Pentax K-r and a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro, but over the last year it's stayed in my bag. On occasions I have picked it up and thought, too big and heavy and left it at home. So in an attempt to get my photography mojo back, I am considering selling up and getting either a Fuji X-T10 and the 18-55mm or an Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Camera with 14-42mm and 40-150mm lens (about the same price). I understand the Fuji's 18-55mm is a better lens than the Olympus 14-42mm, but bigger. Can anyone recommend either of these cameras.

Many thanks

Pete Ryan
I had the EM10, and now the EM5-II and both are excellent so can only imagine the EM10-II is excellent too. Fuji are cracking cameras, and overall I believe Fuji lenses are better than the M4/3. Plus the 18-55mm is f4 at the long end compared with f5.6 of the Olly, so not only do you get 1 stop light advantage, you also get 2 stops shallower DOF as Fuji is APS vs m4/3 so has another stop on top of the f4 vs f5.6.

My biggest issue with Fuji is that the lens line up is pretty limited, although it does cover the common FL's. Telephoto is limited though.

I can hardly think that your problem is with your equipment, Peter. Surely it's about seeing & doing, not what you have on your arm.

When I spent a lot of time on mountains, I cared about the weight I carried. But in the valleys or in the towns - who cares? A couple of kilos over the shoulder isn't much, is it?

This issue seems to arise a lot, but what you've got's capable enough. Work on what you want to do, not on what you might like to own - photography's the issue, shopping is peripheral. If you don't know that, you're lost anyway.

+1 on the above suggestion.

With the purchase of new gear, and I have purchased far to much of it, what problem are you really trying to solve?
If it a technical problem or will you increase you shooting oportunities (reach oand/or low light) then it may meet your needs.
If it is purely a mojo problem then I do not think it will.

I do own Olympus E-M5MarkII bodies and lenses and they are good for a lot of shoots - but not all.

Last edited:
I can hardly think that your problem is with your equipment, Peter. Surely it's about seeing & doing, not what you have on your arm.

When I spent a lot of time on mountains, I cared about the weight I carried. But in the valleys or in the towns - who cares? A couple of kilos over the shoulder isn't much, is it?

This issue seems to arise a lot, but what you've got's capable enough. Work on what you want to do, not on what you might like to own - photography's the issue, shopping is peripheral. If you don't know that, you're lost anyway.
I disagree. Bulk does stop people from taking their equipment out and shouldn't be dismissed. This is why a lot of people are turning to mirrorless, why there's a lot of people like me with two systems (main and then a travel light one), and plenty people who have also compacts so they have a camera on them all the time as they don't want to take a DSLR everywhere.

+
With the purchase of new gear, and I have purchased far to much of it, what problem are you really trying to solve?
If it a technical problem or will you increase you shooting oportunities (reach oand/or low light) then it may meet your needs.
If it is purely a mojo problem then I do not think it will.
He said it's a weight/bulk issue so something that is easily overcome by buying something smaller and lighter.

OP, looking at the Pentax I don't think that the Fuji would be that much smaller tbh, have you considered something like the Sony RX100 if it's just for general shooting. You'd barely know you have it with you.

Thanks for the posts. I do have a Tamron 18-250mm for extra reach in the bag. I tend to shoot most things apart from sport. I think that the EM10-II twin lens kit may do to start, then a the 17mm 1.8 or the 25mm 1.8 at a later date. But then there's the X-T10 with the better kit lens............... Decisions, decisions,:thinking:

Last edited:
I was in the same position as you a while ago after lugging a heavy dslr and f2.8 lenses around all day, and judging by the posts on the Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic forums, so we're a lot of other people.
I bought into the Fuji X system. Much lighter than a dslr and easier to carry. The camera you use the most is the one you have with you, and it's easier to slip a camera in your jacket pocket or round your neck if it's small and light.
I wouldn't like to recommend one system over another, but look at the mirrorless and m43 systems. There are fixed and interchangeable lens cameras in both and image quality is very good.
After a while, I decided that I still liked dslr's so bought another Nikon, now I have both and use whichever one I fancy at the time.

I recently bought an Olympus OMD M5ii as I was travelling and didn't want to lug my big DSLR around. I found it quite liberating to lose the weight.

I think both Fuji and Olympus (and others... Sony, Panasonic etc) all have their plus points and you need to decide what suits you. As I sometimes take video when on holiday, I decided the Olympus looked the better one for me. I love the image stabilisation and the fact that the M5 has customisable buttons. I've been really happy with it, as I'm sure many others are with their smaller systems. I will keep my DSLR for dedicated photography trips, but there is a lot of fun to be had with these smaller cameras.

Thanks again for your posts. I definitely need to to put the fun back into my photography and I think the smaller system is the way to go.

But then there's the X-T10 with the better kit lens............... Decisions, decisions,:thinking:
The feel of a camera is also important in your enjoyment of the system and regaining your mojo. I've had quite a few mirrorless cameras, my favourite is still the Fuji XT1.
I had an Olympus EM1. Lovely camera, loads of menus to get lost in, but it felt good in my hands. I also had an EM5, too small to hold comfortably for me without the extra grip. Excellent results from both and I enjoyed using them.
I had a break from mirrorless, going back to a dslr, then bought an XT10. Felt good, performed great, but developed a fault and I returned it, replacing it with another XT1.
This is the one. Good as the XT10 is, it doesn't have that gorgeous EVF. The XT1 also fits my hands perfectly and is so much nicer to hold than the 10 and as such, will be used all the time.
Another choice would be an XE2. Again, lovely to hold and fantastic IQ. A nice back up for your XT1.........

Did I mention Fuji's XPRO1? Some bargains to be had here on a body that just a couple of years ago cost over £1000. Once you use one, you'll see why........

Many thanks

Pete Ryan

I think you need to think about why its stayed in the bag firstly. If its just because you have lost your mojo, then I can assure you it happens to us all.

If its stayed in your bag because its too heavy then perhaps think about something smaller, or even pocketable that you can have on you all the time. Alternatively get a small pocket camera to go alongside your existing kit?

In terms of getting your mojo back, set yourself some little targets, or a project to produce a body of work on a certain subject. Force yourself to go out and do it and your mojo will soon return.

Many thanks

Pete Ryan

I lost mine...

I bought the D750 and went out and about with just one prime.... worked wonders.

Well it's done, Santa is bringing me an Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II, just got to decide on either the Olympus 17mm f1.8 or the 25mm f1.8.

I had the 17 1.8 on my EM5 MK1 and its a fantastic lens! 35mm equiv roughly and it lived on my camera as my everyday lens of choice.

I am leaning towards the 17mm f1.8, even though the 25mm is sharper, cheaper and comes with a hood.

Excuse the dumb question, but have you considered a photographic project to help kickstart your photographic mojo along with the acquisition of new gear?

Sometimes, just a couple of days out being lined up can really help fire the imagination.

This comes from someone stuck in a rut, looking at new gear as a jumping-off point for getting back into photography.

Funny enough I was thinking of trying a bit of street photography, trying to capture the Christmas spirit on the streets. Tried mounting the 14-42 EZ last night, extremely stiff compared to the 40-150mm, going to get it replaced as I have never known a lens so difficult to mount.

I am leaning towards the 17mm f1.8, even though the 25mm is sharper, cheaper and comes with a hood.
Would the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II be a good first prime? I realise the auto focus is a bit slow compared to the Olympus 17/25 f1.8, I need the lens for low light. The 17mm f1.8 is £275 with cash back, whilst the 20mm f1.7 II can be had for £190 new (split from kit). Or is the 17mm f1.8 worth the extra.

Last edited:
Would the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II be a good first prime? I realise the auto focus is a bit slow compared to the Olympus 17/25 f1.8, I need the lens for low light. The 17mm f1.8 is £275 with cash back, whilst the 20mm f1.7 II can be had for £190 new (split from kit). Or is the 17mm f1.8 worth the extra.

I have the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and the Olympus 17 and 25mm f1.8's.

The 20mm f1.7 is a nice lens and the only real issues are that it's a tad slower to focus and banding may occur at higher ISO's under artificial lighting. The latter is an odd thing that I wouldn't have thought would be down to a lens but it does seem to be and it might be worth keeping the possibility of banding in mind if you may be shooting at high ISO under artificial light. The Olympus 17mm f1.8 doesn't cause banding and it's a very nicely made lens, the pull push manual / AF function is nice too. I haven't used my 20mm f1.7 since I got the 17mm f1.8 but I've kept it for use when I want the most compact camera and lens package.

The Olympus 25mm f1.8 is a nice lens and they can be found used at reasonable prices. I think I paid about £150 for mine. If you are trying to keep the budget down and are happy to get the slightly longer (than the 17 or 20mm) lens then a used Olympus 25mm f1.8 could be a good option.

Last edited:
May just have to take advantage of the Olympus cash back and go for the 17mm f1.8.

Back