LPOTY 2020

Blimey, more great pics! Unlucky chaps.

Guys, let's do a "LPOTY Rejects" book. Half the price of the real thing, or something. :)

In all seriousness, do we think the standard is up because it's effectively two years' worth of photos?

Last edited:
I hadn't mentioned it previously, as I knew deep down it wouldn't go anywhere but I had 6 on the long list and yesterday confirmed that none of them had gone through to the next round! Still, I took great care to enter 20 of my favourite photos so least I know I tried with my best stuff... Not to mention lots of good feedback on Twitter and IG, the community aspect always means the most to me.

I know what you mean, I had a photo of Buttermere I uploaded to a page on facebook recently and it got 1,500 likes and one woman even said that she recently bought a print from John Lewis (Buttermere) but that mine is better!

That kind of thing is nice to hear, I guess that's part of why we share our photographs. A photograph isn't a photograph if people don't see it, but to have comments like that is nice.

Last edited:
Who knows whether the standard is up. But obviously the amount of images submitted is way up on last year. Probably by around 10,000 extra image submissions I'd guess compared to last year's total, which in turn is probably why so many people got short listed this year as the ratios are different.

Blimey, more great pics! Unlucky chaps.

Guys, let's do a "LPOTY Rejects" book. Half the price of the real thing, or something. :)

In all seriousness, do we think the standard is up because it's effectively two years' worth of photos?

No, I don't think those that got through will actually be better than many of the rejected images. Just preference of the judges.

I can remember reading an article a few years ago from someone who sat on the judging panel for a few years unfortunately cant recall his name. The thing that stuck in my mind was that he said they obivoulsly receive numerous images of for example Durdle Door the first image they think that is worthy gets through after that unless an image is truly exceptional they get rejected.

I can remember reading an article a few years ago from someone who sat on the judging panel for a few years unfortunately cant recall his name. The thing that stuck in my mind was that he said they obivoulsly receive numerous images of for example Durdle Door the first image they think that is worthy gets through after that unless an image is truly exceptional they get rejected.

What a terrible judging method.

What a terrible judging method.
That was my first thought but in hind sight with the sheer volumes of images entered and the time factor involved they are going to have to be ruthless in the judging. Taking that into account Its a lot more understandable.
that was a few years ago so maybe the new judging system has changed to take that into account but with over 30,000 images involved how long can they spend on each image.

That was my first thought but in hind sight with the sheer volumes of images entered and the time factor involved they are going to have to be ruthless in the judging. Taking that into account Its a lot more understandable.
that was a few years ago so maybe the new judging system has changed to take that into account but with over 30,000 images involved how long can they spend on each image.

True, but it's not a fair judging system. Two images could be of the same quality or the second even slightly better, but the first one gets in regardless just because it was seen first.

If they want to charge such a fortune to enter, they need to be prepared to send the time giving each image it's fair chance.

True, but it's not a fair judging system. Two images could be of the same quality or the second even slightly better, but the first one gets in regardless just because it was seen first.

If they want to charge such a fortune to enter, they need to be prepared to send the time giving each image it's fair chance.
Dont disagree with you there but again in there defence although it's not cheap compare it to some other big name competitions (20 images for £35 was it?) It starts to look like good value.
Slightly off track now and a different competition but I had a couple shortlisted last year in what was then the Fujiolhics photographer of the yearcompetition , so went to the award ceremony In Hull and one of the Judges there I think it was Matt Hart was talking after about judging competitions. Basically it was no matter how good your stunning image of Durdle Door or wherever was they are swamped with stunning images like these so they tend to become the norm so what you need to win competitions was something slightly different from the norm. Now when i think of some of the recent winners of lpoty as in Mark Littlejohn's, Bejenhiam Grahams and the image of the Starlings over Brighton Pier can't remember the chaps name who took it that makes a lot of sense.

The quality of those failing to get past the shortlist (?longlist) is fabulous.
Not imo. They aren’t bad at all but many are simply clones of done to death scenes and the others I see (with the odd exception) just don’t meet the high standard of the eventual winning entries.

Now when i think of some of the recent winners of lpoty as in Mark Littlejohn's, Bejenhiam Grahams and the image of the Starlings over Brighton Pier can't remember the chaps name who took it that makes a lot of sense.

Is simply being different good enough though - none of these images I particularly liked and would have thought a more classic, cliched but "nicer" should have been picked -IMHO. Difference for the sake of difference isn't IMHO a good thing at all. I'd rather see a good example of Durdle door do well rather than awful one with the birds everywhere on that grim bleak old pier. Maybe that's just me.

I realise these comments might be taken as sour grapes - it's not that - just I've never particularly rated (bar Andy Farrars Bat's head shot which is a sublime picture) any of the winners and quite a lot of the commended/high commended shots haven't appealed to my tastes - especially given the calibre of entries which never progress further.

The other argument is that cliched scenes are more indicative of what UK landscape photography is all about - so perhaps a "done to death scene" done particularly well ought to win.

Last edited:
Not imo. They aren’t bad at all but many are simply clones of done to death scenes and the others I see (with the odd exception) just don’t meet the high standard of the eventual winning entries.

It's all about personal opinions, Why not be a little more generous, Mark?

Presumably the competition is an income-generating venture. It makes sense financially to have a large number of entries on the "long-list" as it would encourage those on it to re-enter the following year. A simple rejection at that stage would make entrants just not bother again.. - me, for example, about ten years ago!

As for it being a "good-value" competition to enter, was it LPOTY which started the trend for paying to enter a competition? It was a weird concept at the time, now its the norm.

Last edited:
Dont disagree with you there but again in there defence although it's not cheap compare it to some other big name competitions (20 images for £35 was it?) It starts to look like good value.
Slightly off track now and a different competition but I had a couple shortlisted last year in what was then the Fujiolhics photographer of the yearcompetition , so went to the award ceremony In Hull and one of the Judges there I think it was Matt Hart was talking after about judging competitions. Basically it was no matter how good your stunning image of Durdle Door or wherever was they are swamped with stunning images like these so they tend to become the norm so what you need to win competitions was something slightly different from the norm. Now when i think of some of the recent winners of lpoty as in Mark Littlejohn's, Bejenhiam Grahams and the image of the Starlings over Brighton Pier can't remember the chaps name who took it that makes a lot of sense.

Think that's right on the pricing yes.

That does make sense, but then an image wins because it's a little different, not because it's 'better'. I do see why they do it, which is why I only put one image in of a really popular location. This one, didn't even get past the first stage haha:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2haLQX8]Buttermere, Haystacks Reflection by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

It's all about personal opinions, Why not be a little more generous, Mark?

Presumably the competition is an income-generating venture. It makes sense financially to have a large number of entries on the "long-list" as it would encourage those on it to re-enter the following year. A simple rejection at that stage would make entrants just not bother again.. - me, for example, about ten years ago!

As for it being a "good-value" competition to enter, was it LPOTY which started the trend for paying to enter a competition? It was a weird concept at the time, now its the norm.
I think the images that do well are those with an artistic bent or those offering something different to what’s already been served up to the point of over consumption. Perhaps I should be more generous but I just can’t seem to add myself to the list of smoke blowers.

Is simply being different good enough though - none of these images I particularly liked and would have thought a more classic, cliched but "nicer" should have been picked -IMHO. Difference for the sake of difference isn't IMHO a good thing at all. I'd rather see a good example of Durdle door do well rather than awful one with the birds everywhere on that grim bleak old pier. Maybe that's just me.

I realise these comments might be taken as sour grapes - it's not that - just I've never particularly rated (bar Andy Farrars Bat's head shot which is a sublime picture) any of the winners and quite a lot of the commended/high commended shots haven't appealed to my tastes - especially given the calibre of entries which never progress further.

The other argument is that cliched scenes are more indicative of what UK landscape photography is all about - so perhaps a "done to death scene" done particularly well ought to win.
Tend to agree with most of that Steve I'm a fan of the traditional shot myself. One of my personal favourite winners was Tony Bennets from a few years back now although I do really Benjamin Grahams and Mark Littlejohn shots.
Personally I think just being different isn't enough the think I took out of what Matt Hart said was the slightly different photo gets noticed.

That does make sense, but then an image wins because it's a little different, not because it's 'better'. I do see why they do it, which is why I only put one image in of a really popular location. This one, didn't even get past the first stage haha:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2haLQX8]Buttermere, Haystacks Reflection by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]
Totally agree I would hope that an image wins not for just being different but for being as good as the others and slightly different take on the subject.

Well I don't mean to sound rude but some of the images that have won in LPOTY (not complete winners but have got through to commendations etc.) are a bit too arty farty avant gardey for me. I certainly wouldn't have picked them as winners, in-fact some of them I actually dislike.

There are plenty of images that don't win that I would deem more worthy of winning.

As has always been and always will be, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The best image I have seen this year which has been entered into LPOTY is of this ruined ship in Scotland with a Rainbow over it, it's absolutely majestic. I doubt it will win though because it's probably not out of the box enough, or arty / painty enough.

For me that’s probably the best picture of the Lake District ever taken and a sure fire winner.

But that’s just my view and it seems a travesty such a classy image hasn’t made it to any further stage

Last edited:
I think we can all agree photography is subjective, and therefore competitions will be as well. It was ever thus and will continue to be.

I like most of the winners although I would've picked others in some years, but it's so subjective. I thought the 2013 winner was especially glorious. The only ones I really didn't like were the overall winners in 2018 and 2012 after the disqualification.

Normally wish there was more variety with images from different parts of the UK, but I can see why there's usually loads from the hotspots.

I like most of the winners although I would've picked others in some years, but it's so subjective. I thought the 2013 winner was especially glorious. The only ones I really didn't like were the overall winners in 2018 and 2012 after the disqualification.

Normally wish there was more variety with images from different parts of the UK, but I can see why there's usually loads from the hotspots.

disqualification ?

It’s a bit dark for for my taste the 2013 one and the cut off reflection jars a lot.

The 2018 one I really didn’t like and of all the entries from that area....it seems a remarkably poor choice. The 2012 winner - I agree- hideous on every level.

Last edited:
https://www.amateurphotographer.co....oses-10k-crown-claims-editing-not-major-11228

The photographer had breached the rules but it hadn't been spotted in judging so I guess they didn't ask for RAW files back then. If I remember it got rather ugly on forums and led to the disqualification and negative press, rather embarrassing all round.

I remember that fiasco well - I reckon if he had entered to your view he could have kept the £10k - perhaps the LPOTY people could have said to him - look - nice picture but wrong category and well done here's the £10k

I personally cannot stand images which have had clouds added to them. A photograph of a landscape should show what was there at the time. Not features which were present on an entirely different day and or/location. But that's just my opinion.

https://www.amateurphotographer.co....oses-10k-crown-claims-editing-not-major-11228

The photographer had breached the rules but it hadn't been spotted in judging so I guess they didn't ask for RAW files back then. If I remember it got rather ugly on forums and led to the disqualification and negative press, rather embarrassing all round.
I remember that fiasco well - I reckon if he had entered to your view he could have kept the £10k - perhaps the LPOTY people could have said to him - look - nice picture but wrong category and well done here's the £10k

I remember that wasn't he a member on here at the time not sure if he still is. The think I found funny I seem to recall he also won the Your View category as well but they also disqualified that as well, never could work out why.

Last edited:
I made it through - strange comp this year mind, I'm not entirely convinced long listing so many images and allowing unlimited entries does the comp any favours, though in all likelihood is commercially more beneficial. I entered 20 and had 7 shortlisted though I didn't even realise you could enter as many as you like, I had someone message me saying they'd entered 60! Bonkers.

I think the images that do well are those with an artistic bent or those offering something different to what’s already been served up to the point of over consumption.

I agree, I believe they are looking for something that goes a little deeper than just a nice view, however good the image is.

I made it through - strange comp this year mind, I'm not entirely convinced long listing so many images and allowing unlimited entries does the comp any favours, though in all likelihood is commercially more beneficial. I entered 20 and had 7 shortlisted though I didn't even realise you could enter as many as you like, I had someone message me saying they'd entered 60! Bonkers.

I think it waters it down a bit, it's a prestigious competition because it isn't easy to get accepted. I wonder whether the longlist stage is probably there to stop people getting disillusioned and give them a bit of hope so they keep entering. Obviously I was disappointed not to get to the final round but at the end of the day the vast majority of entries won't get in and I've had more than my fair share of luck in the past... I'm led to believe that there is usually around 20,000 entries, this year it was over 30,000 and the book only has 224 pages not good odds!

Last edited:
These were my longlisted entries... I'm actually going to be away for the awards evening which would have been awkward had I won so this is probably a blessing in disguise :D

EbXjMdOWAAAQiMq

Back