LPOTY 2020

With one of my shortlisted entries, I had cloned out some blurred buoys. I’d forgotten about that when I entered the pic. They were no bigger than dust spots, and blurred due to the shot being a long exposure (its a pic from Elgol). I explained this in the narrative for the RAW I sent in - it should be interesting to see if it is allowed through or not. It’s in the Classic View category. I imagine it will be rejected but will wait and see - the rest of the landscape is unchanged.

Oh god. One of my pet hates in the post production arsenal are vingettes. I almost without exception find them to detract rather than enhance a composition.

As long as they're pretty subtle I don't mind but they don't work in all circumstances...a bright peaceful sky with a dark vignette looks ridiculous but a dark dramatic sky can work well. Using a radial filter is often a better way of doing it

With one of my shortlisted entries, I had cloned out some blurred buoys. I’d forgotten about that when I entered the pic. They were no bigger than dust spots, and blurred due to the shot being a long exposure (its a pic from Elgol). I explained this in the narrative for the RAW I sent in - it should be interesting to see if it is allowed through or not. It’s in the Classic View category. I imagine it will be rejected but will wait and see - the rest of the landscape is unchanged.

That will be interesting...you might be ok. I got in Classic View a few years ago with a shot where I'd cloned bright patches from the edges of a woodland photo, obviously didn't worry them and it won a sponsor's prize too. I noticed I'd done the same thing with one of this years and had forgotten about that, honesty is the best policy though!

That video put a lot of people off entering.
If that video stood I wouldn't have entered either. There should be scope for stylised editing as long as you're not swapping skies or removing trees etc

I've had one short listed entry, but didn't think it was the strongest image of those I submitted so not holding out much hope for getting any further. Interesting to see how others see and judge your worth though.

I had 8 shortlisted.

It's definitely changed this year, in previous years 3 or 4 shortlisted was pretty exceptional. If the book and exhibition have the same amount as usual then there's still a lot to be cut in the next round of judging!

Just had a rejection email, 8 shortlisted 0 through to the final round of judging... that must be a record :D

Anybody else?

I've had an email saying I have an image or images shortlisted for the next round but I can't see which one(s). Edit - they aren't saying which this time.

Last edited:
5 entered; 3 longlisted; 0 shortlisted.

I'd be upset if I hadn't see some AMAZING rejects on Twitter today. :oops: :$

https://BANNED/search?q=#lpoty&src=typed_query&f=live

I had the crash and burn email earlier. Always next year and good luck to those still in the running.

Well done, bet you're excited though!
Thanks, I only wish I knew what pictures had gone through. It’ll be a long wait until October!

I’d say to anyone that didn’t get through don’t be disheartened. Competitions are a good way to raise your own standards but they have to cull so many outstanding photos it’s a lottery as to what gets through and will be down to the judge’s personal preferences on those days. You could enter the same image next year and get in...

Thanks, I only wish I knew what pictures had gone through. It’ll be a long wait until October!

I’d say to anyone that didn’t get through don’t be disheartened. Competitions are a good way to raise your own standards but they have to cull so many outstanding photos it’s a lottery as to what gets through and will be down to the judge’s personal preferences on those days. You could enter the same image next year and get in...

Very true. From the images I’ve seen that didn’t get through, I’m in very good company. So stunning images from great photographers.

Here’s my shortlisted photo that’s now in Charlie’s bin. :D

Best of luck to those who have got through to the next round.

Flooded Field
by Jason, on Flickr

I do understand why a lot of the rejects didn’t get through as they are cliche or just not that spectacular, I’m not going to join the cries of the masses thinking they’ve been hard done by but you have sir, that’s a cracker!!

I hadn't mentioned it previously, as I knew deep down it wouldn't go anywhere but I had 6 on the long list and yesterday confirmed that none of them had gone through to the next round! Still, I took great care to enter 20 of my favourite photos so least I know I tried with my best stuff... Not to mention lots of good feedback on Twitter and IG, the community aspect always means the most to me.

My 6 longlisted ones below:

View: https://BANNED/stumeech/status/1276191105420341249?s=20

View: https://BANNED/stumeech/status/1276191330490867714?s=20

Back