LPOTY 2020

Congrats all. The shortlist this year seems it's as long as Richard Osman!

Congrats all.

As a slight aside what happened to 2019 LPOTY? 2018 had the exhibition at the station in London and a book, I cant find any reference to a winner of 2019, any exhibition or book or that it was not happening.

Congrats all.

As a slight aside what happened to 2019 LPOTY? 2018 had the exhibition at the station in London and a book, I cant find any reference to a winner of 2019, any exhibition or book or that it was not happening.
They took a year out to reorganise the timings of everything throughout the year. But then Covid-19 has pushed it back to pretty much the same timings as usual - for this year anyway.

Thanks Stu, did think that they might of not run it but odd that there is no mention what so ever on thier website or the rest of the internet.

It is a good thing but it's only the first stage, making the book is something to put on the CV

Yes I know it's not winning the competition or getting in the book at this stage. But something about the landscape photography one does has grabbed their attention and they'd like to know more, see the RAWs and your processing details. I think that's a good reason to be happy.

Yes 6 but no point celebrating until October, shortlisting doesn't mean very much. Good luck folks.
I agree, I had 6 myself. I was excited at first but then I saw how many people have got emails this year its took the shine away from it for me. I hope it's not going down the same road as ODPOTY

It seems there are going to be a lot of us with shortlisted in #lpoty 2020 on our bio then. Looks like they changed it over previous years

They might be making a bigger book and featuring more content - or putting the shortlist images on their site and just the commended upwards in a book. Dunno - the one they picked of mine wasn't really representative of the work I do (not summer and not reflection) and the ones that were more "me" didn't make the cut.

In that sense it's not changed for me and I doubt mine will progress further than shortlist. With only one through and those with many more through the odds don't go in my favour.

Last edited:
Personally I think there may be an element of the more people & photos you shortlist, the more people announce it on their social media feeds which in turn means plenty of free advertising for LPOTY as a competition. Not to mention to inspire more people to enter next year.

Or perhaps it could be because the deadline was extended, therefore more images submitted. I uploaded my last shot exactly at midnight on the deadline and it was around #30000 so I'm guessing there were more uploaded but still being edited at that time, so at a guess maybe there were around 35,000 images uploaded compared to what I can see is usually around 20,000?

Therefore perhaps they have extended the short list from 400 or whatever it usually is to around 1,000 or 2,000. Or all of that probably isn't accurate at all!

It seems there are going to be a lot of us with shortlisted in #lpoty 2020 on our bio then. Looks like they changed it over previous years

Would you really put that on your bio though? It's like shouting about being the first loser...I was in the race for a minute but fell flat on my arse...

Would you really put that on your bio though? It's like shouting about being the first loser...I was in the race for a minute but fell flat on my arse...

Me personally probably not but then I don't tend to put anything like that in my bio, but if your happy saying that why not. There is a lot of very good togs that do you only have to do a search for them to see.

Congrats. I wanted to enter this year with a couple from a few years ago however I've realised I've deleted the RAW files and only have the converted DNG files which, by their rules, they won't accept. Gutted because one of them is my best photo.

I’ve seen a lot of people do including some top rate photographers - the general public wouldn’t know the difference between shortlisted or commended etc, they just see it as an achievement. I’ve done pretty well in this competition but have never had more than two pictures shortlisted in a year before. It makes me think they’ve gone down the OPOTY route for the reasons Stu suggests

I have 1 shortlisted, this is only the 2nd year I have entered with just 3. It's pleasing and inspiring to shoot more stock and enjoy the outdoors....eventually again.....

I’ve seen a lot of people do including some top rate photographers - the general public wouldn’t know the difference between shortlisted or commended etc, they just see it as an achievement. I’ve done pretty well in this competition but have never had more than two pictures shortlisted in a year before. It makes me think they’ve gone down the OPOTY route for the reasons Stu suggests

Likewise, I've done reasonably well the last few years, but like you have never had more than 2 shortlisted in a year. I guess you're right about what joe public thinks/knows...I suppose always looking at it as a photographer has it's downfalls at times.

But something about the landscape photography one does has grabbed their attention and they'd like to know more, see the RAWs and your processing details. I think that's a good reason to be happy.
It makes me wonder how far are you allowed to 'push' your processing ? i used a pull down grad filter to bring back the sky that was a little washed out due to focusing on a third.

Maybe a lot of people have been short listed... i havent heard of anyone who hasnt!

Me - I entered just 2, but TBH I didn't really feel they would have enough instant snap to get through a first screening round. It was a last-minute decision after Steve suggested trying, but maybe I'll give it a more serious go next year.

It makes me wonder how far are you allowed to 'push' your processing ? i used a pull down grad filter to bring back the sky that was a little washed out due to focusing on a third.

Having not entered before this was my biggest quandary. The gumpf all said about minimal editing apart from own view, but looking at previous years entries for quite a few that appeared to be far from the case.

Maybe a lot of people have been short listed... i havent heard of anyone who hasnt!

It seems a lot of people have been shortlisted but then it's human nature that people talk about their successes not so much their failures. I have heard of a couple though.

I got 3 of 5 shortlisted. Not the best 3 imo. :p

Third year that I've entered, but first for a while. Had one commendation. Would be more than happy to get that again.

Oh, and I also entered literally minutes before the deadline - and now keep spotting images I wish I'd entered. Must get better organised next year!

Last edited:
It makes me wonder how far are you allowed to 'push' your processing ?

It's never really clear is it?

One of my shortlisted images looks very, very ropey as a RAW (and isn't even straight), but I pulled out some crazy colours - which is closer to what I saw with my eyes than the dull RAW.

Importantly, I think, I haven't added colour. All the changes were made with sliders (and applied globally).

Nothing is 'painted' on (and, of course, no objects removed), so even though the colours are very vivid, I think/hope I'm within the rules.

I only ever enter ‘your view’ purely for the fact that I usually use a fair bit of post processing & all other categories are strict on editing. Had 8 out of my 20 shortlisted which I’m really pleased about but know there’s still a long way to go!

Personally I think there may be an element of the more people & photos you shortlist, the more people announce it on their social media feeds which in turn means plenty of free advertising for LPOTY as a competition. Not to mention to inspire more people to enter next year.

I doubt they will ever tempt me to part with my money for a "me too" moment. I'm certainly not in that club so its pointless.

I emailed them as they'd released a video saying stylistic edits weren't allowed - I pointed out that would rule out most entries from previous years and that processing is an important differentiator. I also asked if you shoot JPEG with film-effects applied in camera like Fuji would they be disallowed. They replied saying they were taking down the video as it had caused confusion. Emphasising mood is allowed as are vignettes. Not a full answer but I think we'll find it'll be just as it was, where you can do pretty much what you like apart from remove large objects and strip in skies etc.

I emailed them as they'd released a video saying stylistic edits weren't allowed - I pointed out that would rule out most entries from previous years and that processing is an important differentiator. I also asked if you shoot JPEG with film-effects applied in camera like Fuji would they be disallowed. They replied saying they were taking down the video as it had caused confusion. Emphasising mood is allowed as are vignettes. Not a full answer but I think we'll find it'll be just as it was, where you can do pretty much what you like apart from remove large objects and strip in skies etc.

That video put a lot of people off entering.

Back