Lr6 is it worth upgrading

If I was a pro I'd be on the subscription plan, as when I did use the software professionally we were buying it at full retail.
I have companies we support with all three products, so I'm fairly comfortable with all. Honestly apart from minor differences I've not found any difference in final image production, just the ease depends on which one you are more used to, comfortable with.
But where Lightroom wins for me is as a workflow tool. Too many people think it's just for processing raw files and ignoring the actual power and usefulness of the software.

I can get results that are satisfactory with all 3 programs but that doesn't make LR equal to other two for processing in the same way the other two doesn't match LR as workflow tools while it is possible to have a good workflow with them also.

I like using LR as much as the next guy but its important to know the limitations of you tools whether its your camera or software and also many of its strengths (like ones outlined above).

Capture one express is free for Sony RAWs and capture one pro is like £30 for Sony RAWs, so for me its the cheapest option. Also LR6 is no good for IR photography which I do a fair amount of as well. I used to use DXO and gimp for that. I think I may have found a workaround using profile creator and LR6. we'll see....
Where are you getting Capture one Pro for £30 - it's £235+vat
https://www.phaseone.com/Online-Store/PurchaseDetailsPage.aspx?captureone=buy

Why's LR no good for IR photography? Are you on about the white balance issue where imported images have a red cast? You just need to create a custom profile for your camera, after all the cameras been modified.
https://robertreiser.photography/proper-infrared-white-balance-in-lightroom/

Last edited:
Its €50 for COP for Sony (i.e. only for Sony cameras/RAWs) which is what I shoot. That used to be like £35 but its probably higher now.

Yes I have seen that and also used that. As I already said in my previous comment (which you have quoted) I may have found a workaround using custom profiles. Sometimes its fine and I need to test it more. I am trying it in conjunction with the red-blue channel swap custom profile also. I seem to get better results just using the proper IR WB profile and then channel swapping in GIMP. I am hoping gimp will come out with 16-bits support soon, its nearly ready!!

Looking on the bay now and there are digital download versions of lr6 for £5 has anyone used it and if so what are your veiws of them ..
Price seems too good to be too. I would not buy one.

Looking on the bay now and there are digital download versions of lr6 for £5 has anyone used it and if so what are your veiws of them ..

Price seems too good to be too. I would not buy one.

LR6 is current version and no way even as an upgrade is that legitimate and could potentially put your computer and your identity at risk!!!

Don't waste your money and steer clear of such sources!

Last edited:
I wonder if there will ever be a stand alone version LR7...

Time will tell but Adobe are/were committed to continuing to offer both a perpetual license & a CC version of LR

:)
Where does it say Adobe have a "commitment" to anything?
In the past Adobe have said they will make a stand alone version of Lightroom available "indefinitely" which is pretty vague and certainly does not constitute a "commitment."
I think they will give you the choice
The choice might be Lightroom CC or nothing.

I bow to your better memory as to the exact wording but Adobe will announce their next step in the "indefinitely" (promise?) when they are good and ready but when that is is anybodies guess because anyone 'in the know' will be under an NDA.

Excuse my hignorance - but what is CC please?

I have only ever used the editing that came with the camera, so still use Nikon Capture NX2 it is now (with whatever the last top up was, that I had to get Rob in NPS to do for me, because I simply didn't know how to get it onto my computer!!!)

I didn't realise just how much of a minefield all this was.

Excuse my hignorance - but what is CC please?

I have only ever used the editing that came with the camera, so still use Nikon Capture NX2 it is now (with whatever the last top up was, that I had to get Rob in NPS to do for me, because I simply didn't know how to get it onto my computer!!!)

I didn't realise just how much of a minefield all this was.

CC is Creative Cloud :)

Oh, still none the wiser. Is it the name a specific editing program?
CC is way of getting you to buy software without you ever actually buying it. You pay every month and if you stop, you lose the software.

The one thing a lot of folk don`t know too, is if you have the Adobe CC monthly deal, you get a Portfolio.

WOW!!! Or should I mean, BIG DEAL.....

Once you are on the internet you are HOOKED. Let's examine that a moment....you have to pay monthly to use the system to process your own pictures, and you can store your pictures on their portfolio....and if you can't pay for one month for some reason? Or you decide to change......I wonder what happens to your pictures then?

Where do I sign? :eek:

WOW!!! Or should I mean, BIG DEAL.....

Once you are on the internet you are HOOKED. Let's examine that a moment....you have to pay monthly to use the system to process your own pictures, and you can store your pictures on their portfolio....and if you can't pay for one month for some reason? Or you decide to change......I wonder what happens to your pictures then?

Where do I sign? :eek:

A few months before I quit, I deleted my photos one by one then deleted the Portfolio.

CC is way of getting you to buy software without you ever actually buying it. You pay every month and if you stop, you lose the software.

It's also a way of getting you to pay for software YOU DON'T NEED in order to get what you do need. In other words to get LR on CC you also need to pay for PS. If you could get LR CC only at a pro-rata price it would be a good deal.

I think if Adobe went back on their promise to make LR standalone available indefinitely (whatever that means.....) there would be a massive backlash.

I just went off paying monthly to edit my photos, that`s why I dumped the CC deal and bought Elements 15 and LR 6 Standalone. Now it`s mine and don`t have to pay ant more :)

Are these on CD, so if you change confuser you can load it onto the new again?

When I bought Elements and Lightroom, I logged into the Adobe site with my Adobe ID in order to download them. It would be my expectation that I could log in again with the same ID and download as often as necessary.

sadly LR5 is not good with Fuji files !! importing Fuji files to LR5 is frustrating. went for the prime deal hoping that LR6 is better !

When I bought Elements and Lightroom, I logged into the Adobe site with my Adobe ID in order to download them. It would be my expectation that I could log in again with the same ID and download as often as necessary.

I bet you can for a certain length of time - but my bet is they will hold you to ransom in 5 or 6 years tie and make you buy another one....called something else, no doubt, people laugh, but I still use Windows 98 on my big computer out the back - it still works and it has never been linked to the internet, so is totally free of any 'bugs'. I use it for doing the books, writing and other low power requirements. It doesn't owe me anything now and I can't see th epoint of paying £1000 for a modern confuser to do the same thing!

sadly LR5 is not good with Fuji files !! importing Fuji files to LR5 is frustrating. went for the prime deal hoping that LR6 is better !
Got to disagree with that. I've been using LR5 for some years with Fuji files and have no problems.

Got to disagree with that. I've been using LR5 for some years with Fuji files and have no problems.

how do u do it ? LR5 fails to preview at least 30% of the files !! i have to import as DGN then move to lightroom !! am i doing something wrong ?

Last edited:
how do u do it ? LR5 fails to preview at least 30% of the files !! i have to import as DGN then move to lightroom !! am i doing something wrong ?

If you have an x-t2, x-t20, x pro 2 or x-t10 then lr5 isn't supported. Otherwise, it should work fine. I've been using 5.7.1 to edit my x-t1 files for ages :)

If you have an x-t2, x-t20, x pro 2 or x-t10 then lr5 isn't supported. Otherwise, it should work fine. I've been using 5.7.1 to edit my x-t1 files for ages :)

That s my understanding.I have x-t10 and it s a nightmare to import to LR5.

That s my understanding.I have x-t10 and it s a nightmare to import to LR5.

Having assumed that LR7 is a way off, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded LR5 to LR6 for £64.00. Took me ages to find a working link, Adobe's cc hard sell is very frustrating!

Having assumed that LR7 is a way off, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded LR5 to LR6 for £64.00. Took me ages to find a working link, Adobe's cc hard sell is very frustrating!

Please post your thoughts on the upgrade after you have used it for a while. I have LR5 and it works fine but is there anything new in LR6?

Thanks

Im finding apple photos plus affinity photo is enough for me hence selling my lr6 pep licence.i dont really need to use it anymore

Now we know where we stand on this does anybody recommend upgrading from 5 to 6 while it's still available? I'm interested for private use and it's difficult to find anybody who will commit themselves either way. I don't want the cloud stuff they are offering and just want to know if it's worth the extra £60 or so. Adobe make it very hard to find a straight comparison page, I know it's meant to be there but it takes you to the cc page. Somebody must have upgraded, what do you think?

Back