Mac versus PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac..... Pc, different strokes for different folks
I use both, pc for gaming, mac for everything else

Without wanting to sound rude, most people who have problems with PC's just dont know how to use, configure and maintain them properly.

I got so sick of the media bashing MS operating systems and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Everyone was bashing Vista saying how crap it was, really? I ran it on my gaming rig until I rebuilt for 7 recently... did I EVER have a problem with it? No, not once. In fact I never had problems with 95, 98, 2000 or XP either!

This is probably down to a number of facts....

1. I custom build all my PC's
2. I build the OS correctly
3. I have more MS qualifications than I can shake a stick at
4. I know how to use a computer properly

Because I know how PC's should be configured and maintained, I never have problems with them. Mine rarely (if ever) crash), I have never had a virus and I dont get lag and all the other things people complain of.

My dad has a mac and a PC. I have used his mac and I like it quite a lot. He bought a mac for his music studio and I will admit, it seems to run his studio more efficiently than his PC (but that could have been down to older hardware in his PC).

IMO, macs do niche things very well and certainly "look the part" in your home, unlike my bloody ugly tower PC. Apple know design, and they know how to do niche market stuff.

Would I like a mac for photoediting, damn straight I would, I would love that gorgeuos 27" screen all day long and it would look nice in my gadget ridden house.

The reason I dont have a mac is because I use my pc for internet browsing, photo editing, video editing, hacking consoles, media centre, running my business (and here is a REAL biggy) Gaming.

Can a mac do ALL of those better than a PC.... nope. Why? Simply because a mac is not a gaming platform AND FOR ME PERSONALLY... that is a biggy.

You need to decide what YOU want it for and its purpose in your life, as that is the ultimate decision.

As for the fanboys going on about how Windows is inferior to OSX... utter tosh. Each system has their own good points and bad points, it just depends on which one you use.

Bottom line, learn how to use a PC and its OS correctly and perhaps you might have a different opinion on the matter.

Jamesoliverstone,

I think we both know that windows have problems. I too have microsoft certifications... MCDST, MCSE, MCDBA and i know of NOBODY that does not have problems with a windows computer.

The root cause of microsofts problems are in the way it is coded. Please dont pretend that your apparant superior knowledge than the normal joe soap will make your windows computer bulletproof from crashing, malware, spyware, bsod as it wont.

I have worked for the last 7yrs maintaining windows computers, networks etc etc and am yet to see a "bulletproof" windows operating system or computer.

My view that OS X is a superior operating system is shared by alot of people. UNIX is and will always be better than windows pathetic attempt for numerous reasons. Self executing files for instance.

Matt

Jamie has hit the nail on the head, albeit I think inadvertently.

If you custom build the OS and the hardware, meticulously maintain it using your taught knowledge or experience, you should be able to keep a Windows PC productive.

Only a certain type of person wants to spend their time to such an extent, sometimes tinkering is an end in itself. Others just want to get from A to B in the most productive manner. Apple understands this and makes computers for those people.

I disagree that Apple are niche market in anything other than price. Techno-tinkerers who self-build their OSs and machines are niche. People that just want a computer that works are the mainstream.

cloudhunter said:
My view that OS X is a superior operating system is shared by alot of people. UNIX is and will always be better than windows pathetic attempt for numerous reasons. Self executing files for instance.
:clap:

Jamesoliverstone,

I think we both know that windows have problems. I too have microsoft certifications... MCDST, MCSE, MCDBA and i know of NOBODY that does not have problems with a windows computer.

The root cause of microsofts problems are in the way it is coded. Please dont pretend that your apparant superior knowledge than the normal joe soap will make your windows computer bulletproof from crashing, malware, spyware, bsod as it wont.

I have worked for the last 7yrs maintaining windows computers, networks etc etc and am yet to see a "bulletproof" windows operating system or computer.

Matt
you condemn the previous poster's "apparent superior knowledge" then proceed to lord over him with your own.

good work there.

*nix is not the be all and end all of computing. it has many many problems as well. as does OSX. an OS is only as good as the person who maintains it.

as i said, 2 OSX machines in our UK network, 400+ Dell PC's running XP, Vista, 7 etc. if you take all the problems the mac users have and divide it by the amount of macs, and then take the amount of problems the pc users have and divide it by the pc's then the pc users are quite considerably more stable than the macs.

people indicate that OSX is a superior OS, but no one has given any reason as to why. no one has proof that Windows has issues because of "the way it was coded" (how's that then ? upside down ? underwater ???). it purely boils down to the fact that the Windows userbase is larger and Apple users have a bee in their bonnet about it.

face it, OSX and Apple hardware isn't a perfect environment by any stretch of the imagination.

read this, always good for a laugh: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/opinion/1564244/apple-fans-whinge-google-ignores

plus the Charlie Booker article previously mentioned :p

20 years ago, we had some great camera's, no PC's as such and we took some amazing shots.....No mobiles or iPhones. Still took some great shots mind. There is just too much crap around these days. PC's and Macs

THIS persuade you much?

I'm a mac btw.

Just switched about 2 months ago to a 27" imac and havent looked back since. You will NOT find a better screen for anything. Photoshop is a dream to use on it.

I have NEVER had it crash and not a single problem i had on my PC.

May i just stress again how AMAZING that screen is. Beautiful piece of work.

I like macs
nice pieces of design
however, like Sony PC's you pay over the odds for it
however, personal computers are about lifestyle now, not just functionality.

as for PC's being more power than MAC's or vs versa? the ati 5780? gfx coming out are scarce because MAC are buying up all the units I hear.

hardware...more or less it's the same hardware...so it's down the peripherals? not really (apart from MAC multi touch which is lush)
so it's down to the applications? most things can run on a MAC, so let's ignore games and specific apps...so it's down to adobe and basic software?
fine....no score draw to be honest. would you really see the difference in photoshop on a PC and MAC?

so it's down to the O/S?....Mmmmm
well Windows is a pain in the arse. why? because morons around the world love to poke at it, write viruses, exploit problems in it and MS are the big boys, so it's more fun to attack them. So when people and advertising companies and morons write popups, viruses and require endless security patches to be applied to windows on a weekly basis..then it gets bogged down.

MAC's? no viruses?? what a load of tosh. however, most viruses are written for windows because it has most of the market. simple.
so it's more of a viruses resistant piece of kit to use.

I'd happily use a mac, but I resent paying over the odds, prefer the option to customise my kit and frankly get on with windows pretty well.

vista? that was a step backwards for me, pretty but no great shakes. tried to hold your hand far too much...
Win7 has been good to me for about 6 months now. very impressed. but maybe I was just getting used to vista a bit and win7 filled it's shoes.....

I won't buy a mac but I have no reason to tell someone not to do so from a purely objective point of view.
women like macs if that's any help. they're pretty :)

From another thread about Windows 7 breaking DVD writing. Any ex-PCs miss doing this stuff? I sure don't.

(It's good advice guys, just not even in the Mac vocabulary ;) )

you still do it, it's just hidden in pretty little software updates for you lot, therefore not so taxing on your perfect brains :p

In my personal opinion I feel mac are better as i do a lot of Photoshop work and creative stuff like that. Some might say that "mac's are over priced and nothing works" this is rubbish as there is lots of software not so much hardware but mac not need a lot of ram as my standard imac with only 2 gb would not slow down even when I was doing Photoshop work, talking to some mates on skype playing a online flash game, reading TP, sharing file with my friends also I was transferring photos on to a external drive with only 2 gb of ram. If you get a new imac from apple the screen it will be one of the best on the market which is much better then and HD monitor you can get. As for the price sorry but you will just have to take one for the team on that part, but trust me it is worth it.

20 years ago, we had some great camera's, no PC's as such and we took some amazing shots.....No mobiles or iPhones. Still took some great shots mind. There is just too much crap around these days. PC's and Macs

Says you with a Canon 5d MkII :LOL:

THIS persuade you much?

I'm a mac btw.

Just switched about 2 months ago to a 27" imac and havent looked back since. You will NOT find a better screen for anything. Photoshop is a dream to use on it.

I have NEVER had it crash and not a single problem i had on my PC.

May i just stress again how AMAZING that screen is. Beautiful piece of work.

I totally and utterly agree!! The screen is truly sensational! I adore mine!

the screen is an LG manufactured screen - it's not anything new and has been available for a long long time.

look its same old,

mac vs pc
xbox vs playstation
canon vs nikon

etc.

at the end of the day its what you prefer and can be happy with. i agree macs are pretty but there just as much a computer as a PC. one will never be superior to the other because they have different objectives, i actually read an interview with steve jobs and he said he isnt actually competing with PC, he is just offering another choice to the range.

get what works for you, if youve had more macs than roast dinners then get a mac and if your brought up on PC's then get a PC.

PC = Personal Computer. does that mean Apple equipment isn't a computer, or even in fact personally owned ? :p

PC = Personal Computer. does that mean Apple equipment isn't a computer, or even in fact personally owned ? :p

I think the named PC's are actually EC's... everyone's computers with the about of viruses and what not that goes on with them ;)

I think everyone needs to take a step back and realise that a system is only good for the needs of each individual. People on BOTH sides are getting far too hung up defending their own situations and it's pretty daft really...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back