1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't forget to change the clocks on your camera equipment!

Dismiss Notice
  3. It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of a long-standing member, Just Dave.

Dave Barker was a member of Talk Photography for nearly 10 years, and was a prominent member for most of those.
    A very warm, friendly and enthusiastic member, he spent the largest portion of his time on TP welcoming and helping others.

I'm sure all visitors to this site will join us in thanking Dave for his unwavering support and being a large part of our community.
    Our thoughts are with his family and friends at such a difficult time.

Click here to join in the discussion

Dismiss Notice
  1. sureshot

sureshot

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Do they fly the loop in the school holidays?

2. andyred

andyred

Name:
    And
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes, just not at weekends...

If you do go, have a great time, I went a few years ago (need to get back) and it was a great day :)

3. EGCC

EGCC

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes, avoid bank holidays and between Christmas and new year where only the Americans are still flying (although the tend to avoid the loop)

4. sthwild

sthwild

Name:
    Piotr
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Best time in the Loop is when the school is on. RAF personnel also get time off and go for holidays during half term, so it means there is a bit less flying.

5. Fubbytucker

Fubbytucker

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Mark twiglet, Phil-D, mrgubby and 2 others like this.
  6. Dave70D

Dave70D

Name:
    Fast Fingered Dave. THE SPAMMERS NEMESIS
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  7. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Those are awesome. Is it a case of just head up there and hope?

8. mrgubby

mrgubby

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Pack for foul weather, then head up and hope :D

9. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Would that include a poncho that you can peg down to stop you blowing away?

10. gremlin16

gremlin16

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you are going today, take a rope and anchor with you. Tie rope round your waist.

jamesev likes this.
  11. Az_GTi

Az_GTi

Name:
    Az
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I really need to make the effort and do this some day! Some mega shots in here and posted previously. Just so far away from me down here in the south!!

12. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm think exactly the same. going all that way to give the opportunity to get a shot that you can say to everyone that say "I could", "I did!!!!" but you might get a no flying day.

But I guess the sort of thing that drives this is this sort of thing

http://www.boredpanda.com/perfect-kingfisher-dive-photo-wildlife-photography-alan-mcfadyen/

I think i would have folded way before 720,000

13. paulc

paulc Is leaving, again.

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    We went twice on the run and saw nothing despite the loop being booked for Low fly, first time it turned out that a helicopter was moving something for a farmer so it was scuttled but the second time we just sat and saw nothing but that is the luck of the draw, we have been since with some success though.
    take a pop up tent or a big fishing umbrella that can be tied to the fence up there for shelter. It is still a great day out with or without jets I reckon.

14. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Would be interesting to correlate the success on days where the schedule says there will be low fly activity vs the days where nothing is scheduled. Many websites say there schedule is meaningless. I am assuming that the schedule is only for RAF and F15s which I assume are run by the US wouldn't be on any schedule.

15. bledyn125

bledyn125

Name:
    bleddyn
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    There are no timetables for the Mach Loop. The only timetables you will see are for TACTICAL low flying areas (LFA7T etc) and these do not cover the loop, so please disregard. It all comes down to pot luck and patience.

16. jordanbutters

jordanbutters

Edit My Images:
    No
    I really need to pay a visit. I do a fair amount of work over in Snowdonia and fancy tagging on a day or two to shoot this.