macro for printer

Name
bill
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all i have been told that it is possible to write a macro that will automatically print something on a regular basis to prevent your printer playing up because you havent printed anything for a while, does anyone know of a link abut how to do this please?
thanks
Bill

That would require you printer to be on at all times. I'm assuming that this is for an inkjet printer. It's so, the general advice is to turn your printer off when not in use so that the print head is parked and sealed.

thanks for the reply but i thought if you did that the printer went through the charging process each time and that justs wastes ink doesnt it

thanks for the reply but i thought if you did that the printer went through the charging process each time and that justs wastes ink doesnt it

The charging process is only done when you first setup the printer and install the ink cartridges. All printers will run a routine head cleaning cycle now and then whether you turn it off or not.

Ink doesn't just dry out by itself. It is designed to dry when it comes into contact with paper. The best way to stop your heads from clogging is to keep it clean, close it up when not in use to prevent dust from getting inside and turn it off so the the head is sealed. If dust or paper particles come into contact with the ink on the print head, that's when the ink will dry out and clog the heads.

By all means run a small print through every now and then. If I haven't used my printer for a week or so, I just print a nozzle check.

Last edited:
I have a pigment ink printer, Canon Pro 1, and I leave mine on all the time. I believe they do run cleaning cycles at timed schedules, but I also was concerned about clogging. Sometimes I just do a nozzle check if I'm around and haven't printed for a few days.

I have purchased Qimage1 which allows me to schedule a print purge pattern when I am away. I have to leave my computer on too for this. If you are away on holiday then this does mean it will print unattended and there is the possibility of paper jams.

Another alternative might be to leave your computer on and use a remote software to send something to the printer. This means you can print something useful and not just a purge pattern. I haven't tried this.

There is an awful lot of info on this Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

If you do come across a macro, I'd be interested too!

thanks for the reply and the link, he seems to be al about canon do you have any similar links for epson i have the xp960

thanks for the reply and the link, he seems to be al about canon do you have any similar links for epson i have the xp960
I'm pretty sure he runs epson too - he often comments on them - it may only be pigment ink printers he runs though - I'm not familiar on the models but I know some of them have issues with valves sticking switching between the matt and gloss blacks - so they must be there somewhere?

Sorry just realised you gave a model :rolleyes: could have saved myself some time! Do a search on his channel - a few videos come up

Back