Beginner Macro lens

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I'm looking at getting a macro lens for close ups. Before I spend what should I be looking for? Have seen a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro Lens.
Any help would be great.

The cheapest routes to good quality macro shots are a set of extension tubes, a reversing ring, or a good quality magnifying filter like a Raynox.

The Sigma you've mentioned isn't a true macro lens, it'll let you get closer than normal, but not to 1:1magnification. Personally, I wouldn't get one - better to save your money towards a better lens.

I've got a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM which is a true macro lens, but there are similar lenses from other manufacturers at various focal lengths. They'll be considerably more expensive than the one you've mentioned though.

Last edited:
Plus one for the above.
If your looking at a nikon or Canon, you'll be throwing away good money, don't get me wrong, they do good glass, it's just the price that hurts. Tamron, sigma or Tokina are all good and it don't have to be a 100mm lens, there's someone on here that uses a 60mm plus tubes with superb results.
Your right to ask here 1st.
Looking forward to seeing your shots when you get sorted [emoji106]

If you get a set of auto extension tubes and a 50mm f1.8 lens you have an excellent macro set up.

You can get a set of auto tubes on Amazon for about £60.00:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-F...7499&sr=1-1&keywords=polaroid+extension+tubes

And that will give you a better than 1:1 magnification on the sensor.

This thread shows what you can achieve with such a setup - although I actually used 2 complete sets of extension tubes:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/harold-the-spider.637407/#post-7585372

Thank you, any brand I should be looking for on the tubes? And I guess I just put my standard lens on the end?

These are the tubes I have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QUL8SGQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some of my pictures are in the Amazon review :)

They have electronic contacts so you can still use the lens functions via the camera controls. They're mostly plastic but fit the lens and camera mounts snugly with no wobble and feel pretty solid - I've had my heavy Sigma 105 on the end of them with no problems (although I did keep my hand under it most of the time just in case!).

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm looking at getting a macro lens for close ups. Before I spend what should I be looking for? Have seen a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro Lens.
Any help would be great.

As noted, the Sigma 70-300mm isn't a macro lens but as you're looking at a zoom I'll cover some basic stuff, if you know this already don't take offence :D

Macro lenses are primes and just in case you're not sure what this means they don't zoom... they are for example 50mm, 100mm or 150mm etc. Normally they're f2.8 but not always. Macro lenses can focus at any distance including very close to the subject and they normally (but not always) can if you want give 1:1 magnification and what this means is that whatever you're taking a picture of is recorded on the sensor at it's actual size. They can of course also be used to take pictures of anything from cats to mountains in the normal way :D

You may or may not need the ability to focus VERY closely, you may or may not want a prime lens. You may want a true macro lens or you may just want a zoom that'll focus quite closely. The choice is yours :D

Extension tubes are cheap and they'll allow you to focus closely and fill more of the frame with a small subject but note that when they're mounted you lose the ability to focus at a distance. Another option is close up filters. These screw onto the end of your existing lens and allow you to focus close but again when they're on the lens you lose the ability to focus at a distance.

I think you should think about what you want to take pictures of and exactly what you need to get the shot you want.

Thank you, any brand I should be looking for on the tubes? And I guess I just put my standard lens on the end?

You can try the standard lens but you may get CA (chromatic aberration) with some lenses - I've found that the 50mm f1.8 doesn't give any CA so is excellent for this use - I have also used the tubes with my 70-300mm L glass lens for photographing bees and other insects at a distance and that lens is also excellent for that - albeit very expensive.

Also as stated close up lenses can also be tried.

One of the advantages of those is that they can be used on the standard kit lens with quite good results - they work best on lenses with small filter sizes.

And of course they are quite cheap - a set of 4 is about £12-£15 on Ebay.

But of course the other thing to note is that the larger you want your subject to be the closer you have to get and the less the DOF will be - in the case of my spider the DOF was probably about 1mm so expect a large number of fails!

In my case I just take loads of shots and bin the bad ones!

Last edited:
Again thanks for all the advice. I've just purchased a set of extention tubes and and flash ring with filters. Will post some pics soon I hope.

Good advice, been using the sigma 70-300 with mixed results myself, going to look into getting a prime.

Ok, I had a little play this morning before work. I know it's noisy but it's the best I can do without any editing programmes

Attachments

• 20160921093709_IMG_1988.JPG
    20160921093709_IMG_1988.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 26
it's the best I can do without any editing programmes
If your stuck for a decent program that's Free, try GIMP for editing and it's good for a freebie. There is oë for noise as well but I don't remember the name.
Oh and your photo, I'll wait to see a "edited" version before I comment.

Feel free to comment, won't take it to heart. First time using these.

Feel free to comment, won't take it to heart. First time using these.
ok, What was your settings for this shot, was a flash used? At what point was your aiming for focus?

Was aiming for the centre of the orchid. Had no flash as I no battery's at the time. Could of done using the tri pod.

Ok, I had a little play this morning before work. I know it's noisy but it's the best I can do without any editing programmes

Free ones are GIMP (already mentioned),

Photoshop 7: http://softlay.net/photo-image/image-editor/adobe-photoshop-7-free-download.html

Photoscape: http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Easy Thumbnails (excellent for resizing etc) :http://www.fookes.com/easy-thumbnails

And the Google NIK collection (Large size) : https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Those will keep you going for a while! :)

It's edited, the info 1/200 sec at f8.0, iso 800.with a flash ring used.

IMG_1417.JPG

This is the original image, used lightroom for the iPad to edit the previous picture posted.

It's edited, the info 1/200 sec at f8.0, iso 800.with a flash ring used.
Goto between f11 to 14 and ISO down to 200 or even 100, I dont know what camera you have but most go upto 1/250 with flash unless TTL with a high end camera.
I live in the South of France and I have my camera (Nikon D3200) at f13 normally, ISO200 except for the summer period and my shutter speed between 1/125 and 1/250

Back