Beginner Macro photography lighting.

Name
Kieron
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, apologies if this isn't in the right section.

I'd like to try my hand at macro. Primarily insects and bugs, in their natural setting. I've just bought myself an entry level Nikon body and a sigma 105 macro lens which should be adequate for now. As for lighting I'm at a loss as to where to start. From what I can gather, I have 3 options: A ring flash, an on camera flash and off camera flash. I'd like to set a budget of around £100 just to get me started. With that budget in mind, what would be my best option? If you could point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated.

Ring flash I would recommend the Yongnou YN-14EX should be able to get one from Amazon for under £100.

I would also recommend reading the thread in the macro and close up section " show us your macro rig" some interesting flash set ups there. You might not need a ring flash after reading it.

It really depends where you will be taking the photos.

If outdoors then a flash can be used to help fill in the harsh sunlight ( if it is very sunny).

But remember that you can then usually only use about 1/250 sec to synchronise your flash correctly.

If indoors then you can use a variety of light sources as long as you adjust the white balance or set up custom white balance on your camera.

This might be worth some reading

http://extreme-macro.co.uk

Re flash. The godox tt685 and x1 trigger is a good choice with a diy diffuser made of a small box and tracing, baking or lunchpack paper, a plastic disposable lunch plate or a more clever designed modifier from a pringles can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does seem a good price for all that, the equivalent on Amazon is about £100 more... "To good to be true" perhaps, no reviews of the Seller?

I used to have the Sigma 105mm on my old 7D. Combined with an on-body Speedlight and a modified Pringles can (Sour Cream & Chive I believe).
Got some pretty good results, any flaws are my technique/patience rather than the kit! https://www.flickr.com/photos/durbs/albums/72157648134606085

I've recently got an old manual macro lens to use on my A7R2. Haven't yet re-created the tube (though have eaten the required Pringles, Texan BBQ this time, not great), but will do. The more recent macro shots on my feed were taken with this and natural light:

Bokina Bee
by Paul Durbin, on Flickr

Not great, but manual focus and no tripod :D

Regarding the Neewer kit you have linked, I have a few of their bits. I have their basic non TTL flash and it seems to be a well made solid bit of kit that works consistantly both on camera and on optical sensor.

I bought their wireless flash trigger kit and it didn't work. I opened the transmitter to check the battery was fitted correctly and found a loose wire. Going on the amazon reviews I haven't been alone in this.

Thanks everyone, that's given me a few options to look at and plenty to read up on!

I stumbled across this on eBay, has anyone got any experience with the brand or even better this particular kit. It seems an awful lot of kit for not a lot of money!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/192002709902?_mwBanner=1
I wouldn't!

That's a typical 'set' put together by an Internet box shifter who has no idea about what he's selling.

It's titled iTTL because the flash is iTTL capable, but the wireless triggers aren't TTL capable.

Look into the Godox system with a true iTTL wireless trigger or the Yongnuo with a built in receiver likewise.

Whilst for this kind of setup you can work with manual flash, a fist flash should always have TTL so you have a useful general purpose tool.

Back