Beginner Macro Photography tips?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I have a Marine Fish tank and I am trying to get some really nice shots, this is pretty much my first foray into Macro photography. I am using a D90 & Tamron 90mm F2.8 - Obviously I am somewhat limited with the focus speed of the D90, but what I am struggling with is focusing in general, it will either fix on one point or none at all.

So I either get the eye and claw of a hermit crab perfect, but then the other claw and eye is out of focus! I am sure this is user error, and running P mode at the moment or Auto no flash just to practice.

Some sample images…

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi James if it was me then I'd get off P mode and Auto and put the camera in Aperture mode as that will give you more control of that setting, then I would give spot metering a go as that seems to work ok for me. I would say just try all the metering modes till you are happy but stay on Aperture mode and a low iso.
Plus use a tripod. Another thing that will help taking photos through glass is a Rubber lens hood so then you can get it closer to the glass and stop any nasty reflections.

Last edited:
Macro lenses have almost no depth of field, even with it stopped down. The DOF also decreases the close you are to your subject.

It's going to be more difficult than ever for you as these are living, moving subjects so you can't use focus stacking.

Off camera flash from above may bring the colours out more but it's a case of trying different things to see what works for you.

I'd be quite happy if my first macro attempts had been like those above.

I’m no macro expert, so others may give better advice.

That said; I know enough to know you need to stop down a lot to get decent DoF at macro distances. And as you’re working indoors, and shooting moving subjects (so you also need decent SS) unless you’re happy to crank up the ISO to stratospheric levels, you really should be thinking about adding a flash for this to work.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

To be honest Phil, I thought because of the extremely high output of my LED’s, I might be better off not using a flash? Plus, also need to think about startling the inhabitants.

Maybe a flaw directed elsewhere? Remotely maybe.

Just to keep flash power in perspective, at reasonable shutter speeds, a small flash is way brighter than a small LED light, and that’s why they’re also better for not making a subject uncomfortable.

Imagine staring at a 200w lightbulb at close distance. You’d have to do that for a whole half a second to get the same amount of light (exposure) a speedlight outputs in about 1/4000 of a second.

Which would you rather be subject to?

Last edited:
With regard to flash: I have a tropical tank with mostly bottom feeders and I can be fairly sure that flash won't startle your fish unduly. I have fancy LED lights and they can simulate thunderstorms. At night the lights are not on then they will flash at random to simulate lightning; the fish are completely unperturbed.

Back