Maddie

I like the first, though I'd crop it at the bottom to remove the knees, the 2nd I'm not so keen, it feels cliched without quite getting there, not quite enough confidence to really pull it off I feel.

Thanks Phil, agreed on both counts.

I was trying for the clichéd shot on the second, but that was the best I could get! Any ideas on how to improve it? (Next time!!)

Last edited:
Thanks Phil, agreed on both counts.

I was trying for the clichéd shot on the second, but that was the best I could get! Any ideas on how to improve it?

I just think she's unconvinced by the pose, it's all about the confidence, I bin hundreds of shots because the subject hasn't been convinced by my ideas, it's all about that relationship, and the better we are, the better the image. I'm no great portraitist, I just try to build a rapport and try not to stick too much to my aims and work with the subject.

Models are easier, but I still have some 'model' shots with a lack of connection.

Thanks Phil, time was a bit short on the night, maybe some time in the future I will pull it off, maybe with a different model.

I also have binned too many images, just glad they weren't on film!

Thanks Phil, time was a bit short on the night, maybe some time in the future I will pull it off, maybe with a different model.

I also have binned too many images, just glad they weren't on film!
The first is great. Don't beat yourself up.

I like the first a lot but I’m not totally sold on the styling. The combination of high neck, low brim and short skirt kind of divide her into chunks which shorten her body, if that makes sense.

I like the second one too. It looks a little over-posed – I wouldn’t have both hands in the shot, and probably wouldn’t have had even one unless I could see elegant fingers too.

And this is an arguable point, but I reckon that if I’ve chosen to use hard light sources from an angle which exaggerate every minor blemish then it’s incumbent on me – for this type of glamorous portrait – to do a significant amount of skin retouching.

The third one is gorgeous, btw, really expressive.

Is she an actual model?

Thanks Simon, Maddie isn't very tall, but this image would definitely be better cropped above her knees.

The second shot we tried hard at, working towards an idea, but never quite achieved what we wanted. She does have lovely hands and I wanted to include them in the shot. I have done a fair amount of skin retouching on the images, I did try running them through Portrait Pro but they were so far from the originals I thought it was a different person :eek:

Your comment on the third makes me a happy man, thanks!

Maddie is not a model but does the occasional session, she is a lovely person and I hope to do some more work with her in the future.

Lovely shots overall for me, but the only thing that niggles me a wee bit is something you could have sorted in post - just cleaning up her black dress... bits of lint etc...

Lovely shots overall for me, but the only thing that niggles me a wee bit is something you could have sorted in post - just cleaning up her black dress... bits of lint etc...

Thanks Bethy, and I can't disagree.
I will consider my knuckles rapped
Must try harder!!

Thanks Bethy, and I can't disagree.
I will consider my knuckles rapped
Must try harder!!

Oooo don't be so hard on yourself! :) I only noticed because I've done it a ga-zillion times before ... (missed lint bits). :)

Back