Mamiya Medium Format owners group

I guess that depends on how much he values his time, skill and experience :0). Like you say though, taking apart aperture blades can be tricky (although it's getting them back together that's a pain) so you don't fancy it yourself which says something about paying someone who knows what they're doing!

I guess that depends on how much he values his time, skill and experience :0). Like you say though, taking apart aperture blades can be tricky (although it's getting them back together that's a pain) so you don't fancy it yourself which says something about paying someone who knows what they're doing!

Well I can save £50 + postage in just not taking anything moving like action shots or portraiture and I'll settle for that and who knows with a bit of luck the problem might go away.

wheres the laff button, "like" doesn't really cover it.....:ROFLMAO:

I think my logic box has melted, print me up a new one Stevie ?

:)

Which one in your opinion 65mm "c" or 50mm "c" on the RB for land/seascapes

Which one in your opinion 65mm "c" or 50mm "c" on the RB for land/seascapes

Well as you know the 50mm is wider but when I got my 65mm I'm sure one reason for getting it was that optically the 65mm was superior...whether it made any difference to what you see in the end result is open to debate.

I went for the 50mm. I figured that if I was going to buy a wide lens for the RB then I may as well go the whole way and do it properly :D

I've not used it as much as I'd like though, as my RB currently has the 127mm lens jammed in place for the last 5 months and I haven't got it fixed yet... lol

I've not used it as much as I'd like though, as my RB currently has the 127mm lens jammed in place for the last 5 months and I haven't got it fixed yet... lol

Well my 180mm, the iris doesn't work till about 12-14 secs after firing so I reckon I should get brownie points for my proposed entry this month, as holding a RB at eye level not seeing anything for 12 secs and still get the inital framed shot of the subject without wobble... deserves something :D

Well my 180mm, the iris doesn't work till about 12-14 secs after firing so I reckon I should get brownie points for my proposed entry this month, as holding a RB at eye level not seeing anything for 12 secs and still get the inital framed shot of the subject without wobble... deserves something :D

I know how your lens feels Brian, my irises doesn't work very well either after you've fried them with that monster flash of yours :p :LOL:

I had both the 65mm KL and the 50mm C and, before I sold the 65mm, I preferred the 50mm. I didn't notice any real world difference in image quality between the two either.

Thank you Brian-Carl and Jonathan for speedy replies.

I've gone right off 50......a bit, if I can shoot 75 at all, I will.
I doubt there is much difference between a bronny 50, a mam rf 50 and an rb 50, so I'm gonna say...distortion, it gets on my wick.
Even though shooting landscapes, distortion doesn't present as much of a problem as some other subjects, and I suppose you could find distortion in most WA's if you're going looking for it, but I'd still choose the 65, sacrificing a little width for a little less distortion, but that's just me..:)

I went with the 65 K/L myself and haven't regretted it, produces exceptionally sharp results. I also have the 75mm shift which seems to be equally as good just twice the size and weight.

Thanks all for info still could not make up mind so got both 50mm and 65mm can always sell on when tested both Waiting now for some half decent weather lol.

Thanks all for info still could not make up mind so got both 50mm and 65mm can always sell on when tested both Waiting now for some half decent weather lol.

Interesting to know your views on both lenses (y)

Will let you know Brian in due course. I have the B/W film loaded waiting on the weather to improve.

Well had another go at this iris problem:- I noticed compared with the 65mm it was harder to turn the tripping mechanism (on the RB67, on the back, you turn both pins to load)..so with some lighter fuel on a cotton bud, wiped the sliding bit that you can see (when loading and firing) and so far it worked. But we all know that often when the lighter fuel dries out the problem returns, so fingers crossed and will see in a few days.
Incidentally there was no dirt on the cotton bud and the mechanism doesn't looked oiled (all looked as new)...something was making it not work properly h'mm invisible grime.
Forgot to add: There are four tiny screws holding the retaining plate and once off should show all the mechanism, so it you see a RB67 lens going dirt cheap (because it has the same fault as mine) it might might worth having ago yourself as Miles is charging £60 to service this lens.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was gifted this lovely C330f with a 105mm lens. I was given It by my late uncle quiet a few years ago. Unknown to me he skipped lots of old cameras and stuff but I managed to save this the day before it was off to the tip. I don't think he ever used it. Lately Ive been interested in shooting film again and have sent my first roll of B&W shot on my Nikon to be processed. Id love to try to use the Mamiya. It looks in good condition but I doesn't seem to fire the shutter properly kind of feels sticky. Can anyone recommend anyone who could check it out and give it a good service for me. Also any advice on what the 105mm lens is good for. if I and get it up and running again what other lenses are worth considering. Thankyou Mamiya.jpg

^Miles :)

Edit
Just noticed you are relatively new. Miles Whitehead, I think, is the guy to do it.
Someone will be along soon to give you an email address

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was gifted this lovely C330f with a 105mm lens. I was given It by my late uncle quiet a few years ago. Unknown to me he skipped lots of old cameras and stuff but I managed to save this the day before it was off to the tip. I don't think he ever used it. Lately Ive been interested in shooting film again and have sent my first roll of B&W shot on my Nikon to be processed. Id love to try to use the Mamiya. It looks in good condition but I doesn't seem to fire the shutter properly kind of feels sticky. Can anyone recommend anyone who could check it out and give it a good service for me. Also any advice on what the 105mm lens is good for. if I and get it up and running again what other lenses are worth considering. Thankyou View attachment 118270

All of the Mamiya lenses for the C330 are top notch and I believe the 105mm is top of the top notchedness league. Its excellent for everything really, close ups, landscapes, portraits does them all very well indeed. I use mine all the time, even out and about up hills, its heavy but worth it.
I have the 55, 80, 135 and 180mm. The 80mm can be picked up for a snip and is a good all rounder and the 55m can focus into about 10cm. For the price they are all a bargain.

Miles is your man, he'll have it as good as new in no time. :)

Last edited:
I'd be happy to just look at a roll of film

in fact, stuff it, I'm off for a 5 minute stare

.....no touching mind..

All of the Mamiya lenses for the C330 are top notch and I believe the 105mm is top of the top notchedness league. Its excellent for everything really, close ups, landscapes, portraits does them all very well indeed. I use mine all the time, even out and about up hills, its heavy but worth it.
I have the 55, 80, 135 and 180mm. The 80mm can be picked up for a snip and is a good all rounder and the 55m can focus into about 10cm. For the price they are all a bargain.

Miles is your man, he'll have it as good as new in no time. :)

Thankyou. I like having some top Notchedness :) Thankyou everyone for your help and replies.

A couple of years ago I was gifted this lovely C330f with a 105mm lens. I was given It by my late uncle quiet a few years ago. Unknown to me he skipped lots of old cameras and stuff but I managed to save this the day before it was off to the tip. I don't think he ever used it. Lately Ive been interested in shooting film again and have sent my first roll of B&W shot on my Nikon to be processed. Id love to try to use the Mamiya. It looks in good condition but I doesn't seem to fire the shutter properly kind of feels sticky. Can anyone recommend anyone who could check it out and give it a good service for me. Also any advice on what the 105mm lens is good for. if I and get it up and running again what other lenses are worth considering. Thankyou View attachment 118270

That's a cracker!!!

I've recently bought a C330f myself, although it's not quite as minty fresh as that one!! Do you mean the shutter mechanism on the body feels sticky, or the shutter release on the lens? If it has not been used for some time then you might find that just cocking and firing the shutter many times may free it up, although sending it away for a service would rest any doubts.

I bought mine with a blue dot 80mm and 55mm, as well as just recently purchasing a 180mm Super. The 80mm is a great all rounder and nice & compact. The 180mm is a bit of a beast and becomes a bit awkward when focusing close, but it gives a lovely 'head shot' perspective - minimum focus distance is not as close a I thought it might be though.

I've heard good things about the 105mm and also the 135mm - they're cheap enough to try them all!!

Whilst we are on the subject of the C330, I have a question or two as a recent owner!!

Firstly, the popup WLVF, is it meant to be a little loose on it's mounts, or does that mean it is poorly adjusted? The rear thumb screw tightens OK, but there is movement on the front two posts.

Also, the magnifier on mine always gets stuck at the midpoint - it doesn't snap up, which is annoying!! Any quick fixes for this?

I also learnt the hard way that you must make sure the rear door is fully clicked into place when closing - wasted a roll of Delta 3200 working that one out!! Tried to flip the spool and wind it back onto another spool but it jammed up!! Still, it served as a practice roll for loading my dev tank!

Ive been communicating with Miles this week. what a great and knowledgeable guy. I will be packing my C330f tomorrow and sending it to him for a full check over and service, as I saved this camera from being thrown in the tip it'll be great to get it in tip top condition and start shooting with it. It was my uncle who was going to throw it away and as he passed away last year Id love to shoot something on it and print it for my Aunt to have on her wall :)

Ive been communicating with Miles this week. what a great and knowledgeable guy. I will be packing my C330f tomorrow and sending it to him for a full check over and service, as I saved this camera from being thrown in the tip it'll be great to get it in tip top condition and start shooting with it. It was my uncle who was going to throw it away and as he passed away last year Id love to shoot something on it and print it for my Aunt to have on her wall :)

So glad to hear this. Too good to let it go.

Top man. (y)

Quick RZ pro question: Alkaline or Silver battery? I had silver most recently (which ran out pretty quick), and all that's available in the shops here now is alkaline.

Hi Everyone, sorry Ive not replied to any posts. its been a bit mad around here recently Anyway Finally got round to posting the 330 to Miles. I will report back when it arrives. I love B&W photography so would love to hear advice on which film (for a beginner ) will be best for me to try, and any advice on using the C330 will glady be received. Thanks again.

Hi Everyone, sorry Ive not replied to any posts. its been a bit mad around here recently Anyway Finally got round to posting the 330 to Miles. I will report back when it arrives. I love B&W photography so would love to hear advice on which film (for a beginner ) will be best for me to try, and any advice on using the C330 will glady be received. Thanks again.

I'm a recent film convert and have had good results from Ilford HP5+ and Kodak Tri-X. Both can be pushed if low light use is needed.
Just loaded a roll of FP4+ in my C330f to try out, but will most likely be used with a tripod with the current weather!

My own choice of film would be Ilford PanF; the reason being that I hate grain and it's the finest grain film that's easily available (assuming that there is anything finer grained available). On the other hand, I understand that PanF is a love it or loathe it kind of film and may not be to everyone's taste. My second choice if FP4; actually, I only have two films that I use, and that exhausts my selection.

FP4 is probably more forgiving, and long experience with it in a larger size (5x4) have lead to a greater appreciation of it. In my younger days, I ignored medium speed films as having neither the fine grain of slow films nor the speed of fast ones.

So, my choice would be PanF, but I think FP4 would be your best starting point.

Edit to add: Lovely camera - I have one.

Back