Mamiya Medium Format owners group

Thanks for the offer cejay, i've got both types it's ok.

I'm going to swap my 6x6 negs in to these new ones and reuse the existing bigger holders until I do film order and I'll get the ones recommend above.

Any advice please. I had a Mamiya 645 1000s, which i bought new in 1980.
I have not had this camera for years now, but seeing as the prices for these cameras are very low now, i was considering buying another one.

Would i be better going for a RB67 or RZ67, or still look at a 645 ?

Any help and advice, would be much appreciated

Thank you (y)

I have not had this camera for years now, but seeing as the prices for these cameras are very low now, i was considering buying another one.

Thank you (y)

Depends on wether you want 6 x 7 cm negs or 6 x 4.5cm negs

RZ is battery operated.

RB (I believe) is fully manual.

Thank you (y)

Do you want to carry your kit a long way? Is weight or neg size more important?

Lenses for the 645 can be found quite cheaply, the 67 ones are more expensive.

Mike

I got the 127mm but I've not used it much yet, I think I'll give it a go for a couple of rolls and see how that feels.

I suppose if you were using the 90mm to make squares its probably a better focal length, though a bit of a waste of negative.

Is it just me or does the 90mm on a RB67 feel wide?

It's not just you, I found a 110mm for my RZ and much prefer it. The 90mm felt a bit too short to be standard but not wide enough to be wide-angle, IYSWIM.

The 90 is quite wide but I personally like it ......admittedly it's either that or the 180 as I don't have other lengths but up to press the 180 ("portrait" lens) has hardly been used....need some pretty ladies to model for me :naughty:

I decided to go for a 645 Pro, i got it this morning.
I bought it from Ffordes Photographic. Although i could have bought one chea per from ebay, i was a bit reluctant, as it is a big risk, unless you can see it.

I looked for camera shops that had them, Ffordes give a six month guarantee, so not to bad.

They also give you ten days approval, but mine might have to be extended, as when it arrived, there was not any batteries with it, i phoned them and they said they would send some out to me.

I went to every shop i could think of, that might sell 6v 4SR44 or 4LR44 batteries, i did not have any luck getting them anywhere :bang: (y)

Quick question, how sturdy a tripod do you really need for a RB67? I've now shot 2 rolls of Panf+ through using an Argos tripod which was bought as a gift when I got the D3100. Now its perfectly acceptable for the Digi but the head isn't strong enough for the Mamyia so it lists to one side. When I use the mirror lock up the images have no sign of camera shake, not ideal for portraits but fine for "in the field".

I suppose what I'm driving at is can I use a fairly light construction tripod assuming a decent head?

Quick question, how sturdy a tripod do you really need for a RB67? I've now shot 2 rolls of Panf+ through using an Argos tripod which was bought as a gift when I got the D3100. Now its perfectly acceptable for the Digi but the head isn't strong enough for the Mamyia so it lists to one side. When I use the mirror lock up the images have no sign of camera shake, not ideal for portraits but fine for "in the field".

I suppose what I'm driving at is can I use a fairly light construction tripod assuming a decent head?

I used a Giottos Vitruvian with it with no problems
Now i've moved to a Manfrotto 055 Carbon fibre tripod with the 410 Geared head, sturdy as a sturdy thing.

But are they overkill? Even besides the cost they're pretty heavy.

Overkill maybe, but if you shoot a lot of landscapes with the RB you need something that does exactly what you want.
The CF tripod i use isn't that heavy at all, if you use a smaller head than the one i'm using it would probably weigh about half as much as the RB

Guys I need your help please if possible.

I've got an issue whereby my negs aren't coming out sharp, they're just a tad away from being sharp, but aren't. Nothing in the focal range is sharp either.

On the WLF they look tack sharp, yet the negs don't come out as you'd expect. I've heard there could be adjustments that can be done to correct this, could anybody shed any light on this please?

Tom

Overkill maybe, but if you shoot a lot of landscapes with the RB you need something that does exactly what you want.
The CF tripod i use isn't that heavy at all, if you use a smaller head than the one i'm using it would probably weigh about half as much as the RB

Fair point. I'll need see what exactly my budget is and look in more detail.

Could be that your ground glass is in the wrong place in the viewfinder/focussing screen. The focussing screen has 2 bits of glass, one ground and the other one normal glass for protection, if they are in the wrong way round then you could be missing focus?
It should be the plain glass on top

Could be that your ground glass is in the wrong place in the viewfinder/focussing screen. The focussing screen has 2 bits of glass, one ground and the other one normal glass for protection, if they are in the wrong way round then you could be missing focus?
It should be the plain glass on top

Normal glass on top yeah? That's how mine is I believe

Just had a day out to Aldeburgh on the Suffolk coast and Snape Maltings with the 645 Pro and two lenses 150mm 3.5 and 35mm 3.5 - mostly the latter so landscapes/seascapes first then detail & candids.

Took two backs, one loaded with colour, Fuji Pro400H plus two rolls of Superia Xtra 400 and one loaded last night with Neopan B&W 400.

Two full rolls of colour used and one still in with two or three left so I reckon these'll go off to AG for dev & scan.

Bizarrely the Neopan had wound right through without giving me the chance to take a single shot.:shrug::thinking: I can only think that I held my sleepy finger too long on the start button on the motor drive so I'm going to wind it right back in complete darkness.

I need to decide how much I want to hold on to the investment I've made in 645 stuff and I reckon two weeks away from Oly OM System bodies and shooting 645 exclusively will kill or cure!:clap:

Guys, how much is VAT and Duty for importing used camera stuff from Japan? There is a 65mm for the RB about half the price I've seen it else where but I'm not sure if the ~£70 saving is worth it after the tax man plus the risks of getting a lemon.

Guys, how much is VAT and Duty for importing used camera stuff from Japan? There is a 65mm for the RB about half the price I've seen it else where but I'm not sure if the ~£70 saving is worth it after the tax man plus the risks of getting a lemon.

There is an online calculator here http://www.dutycalculator.com/ I think you get 10 free goes.

Cool thanks, its <£135 so it would be VAT plus the courier fee; max £30 all up. Saving of £60 take a punt I think.

Cost me £24 on a £188 camera last week.

Correct.....the majority in fact, about a tenner for duty etc and £14 "administration", I even went and picked it up myself so they did nothing except send me a letter telling me they had it.....grrrrr don't get me started.:bang:

Correct.....the majority in fact, about a tenner for duty etc and £14 "administration", I even went and picked it up myself so they did nothing except send me a letter telling me they had it.....grrrrr don't get me started.:bang:

Have you seen how expensive printer ink is? :p

I'd take any calculation and assume that it'll come to more than that, so you are not taken by surprise. Duty fees tend to vary quite a lot, from people's experiences!

Ordered a 65mm it's about 80 quid cheaper than I could see at any of the retailers and 40+ cheaper than some of the auctions so I've got a bit off lee way.

Any one use their 67 with out a tripod head? My new tripods head screws into the column with the same gauge thread that the adaptor in the bottom of the camera screws into. It would be a little more difficult to position but would save 500g and following the backpacking light philosophy every gram that should be saved should be. And yes I realise that taking a rb67 is the antithesis of that but that's the camera I'm taking...

Just had a day out to Aldeburgh on the Suffolk coast and Snape Maltings with the 645 Pro and two lenses 150mm 3.5 and 35mm 3.5 - mostly the latter so landscapes/seascapes first then detail & candids.

Took two backs, one loaded with colour, Fuji Pro400H plus two rolls of Superia Xtra 400 and one loaded last night with Neopan B&W 400.

Two full rolls of colour used and one still in with two or three left so I reckon these'll go off to AG for dev & scan.

Bizarrely the Neopan had wound right through without giving me the chance to take a single shot.:shrug::thinking: I can only think that I held my sleepy finger too long on the start button on the motor drive so I'm going to wind it right back in complete darkness.

I need to decide how much I want to hold on to the investment I've made in 645 stuff and I reckon two weeks away from Oly OM System bodies and shooting 645 exclusively will kill or cure!:clap:

And the result is...

I'm keeping the Mammy 645 gear. :clap::clap:

I don't think I'll use it every weekend but the purchase of scanner capacity reduces the pain of "dev & cd please" and let's me take max res scans without it costing a million quid a film.:shake:

What? Oh the first films back from AG? Well I think I need to ensure I have a more robust method for them to reference negs to my films (or send them one at a time) but yes, very pleased. My test test will be to do a back-to-back test with Studio 5: give 'em both a film and compare speed and cost for dev only.

Oh go on - a few photos...

46760013_edited-1_zps749b47b5.jpg

46760006_edited-1_zpsf2afbc5e.jpg

46730005_edited-1_zpsb97f68ed.jpg

Ordered a 65mm it's about 80 quid cheaper than I could see at any of the retailers and 40+ cheaper than some of the auctions so I've got a bit off lee way.

Any one use their 67 with out a tripod head? My new tripods head screws into the column with the same gauge thread that the adaptor in the bottom of the camera screws into. It would be a little more difficult to position but would save 500g and following the backpacking light philosophy every gram that should be saved should be. And yes I realise that taking a rb67 is the antithesis of that but that's the camera I'm taking...

Out of interest which one did you get? I'm awaiting my kl 65mm f4 to arrive for some ideas I've had.

10 days later and its here. Looks virtually mint! VAT was only £8 shame that the rm matched that!

I'd be inclined to get it declared a gift not to dodge the tax but to not pay rm their ridiculous fee.

I regret to announce that I've no longer got my RZ67 Pro. :(

Because I've traded it in against an RZ67 Pro II in order to get half-stop speeds and fine-focus adjustment. :)

I've also got a 140mm ML-A macro lens coming (the one with the floating element). Must buy another pineapple for some extreme close-ups ...

I probably should bob a roll or two of 120 through it from time to time.

Yes you should!:p

You guys are so fortunate on your side of the pond...you should be burning film like there is no tomorrow!

Back