Mamiya Super 23/Universal users?

It's on its way to you @stevelmx5 The frame spacing can be a little tricky as there's no mark to line the film up with and getting the frame counter to be in the right place is also a challenge, I practiced with an old roll of film before I ran a roll through it last year. I've been looking for a reasonably priced newer back but keep missing them so if you spot one...

Best of luck Steve.

Damn. I want one of those now!

Does anyone know how the Polaroid 600SE version differs from the Mamiya? Can it take an ordinary film back?

Steve.

Last edited:
Hi Nick. My wife's just told me that a large parcel has arrived for me this morning so I'm guessing it's the Mamiya :0) I'll check it's all ok when I get home and let you know. Once the new light seals arrive from Aki i'll get them fitted too. Now I just need to pick up some 120 film again!

Cheers
Steve

My un-scientific paper film test shows that the 6x9 spacing between frames is pretty much spot on.

View attachment 33029

I'm not sure why there are the windows on the back of the film holder when there's also a start point inside the holder to line the start of the film up with? After lining that up the winding mechanism appears to wind the film on to the right place so hopefully good to go once the new seals arrive.

Thanks again Nick, there will be a few pints at the bar for you on the Mega Meet :0)

Lesson Number 1 - Remove dark slide before shooting 4 shots and realising that those masterpieces you shot will never be seen :0)

Luckily I realised before I 'finished' the roll so I could wind the film right through then again to take it back to the start and re-shoot. One benefit of shooting interior architectural shot is that the building didn't move between shots ;0)

Lesson Number 2 - after learning from lesson 1 and taking out your dark slide, remember to actually pack additional film in your bag!

We went down to Betws-Y-Coed with the kids today and went to Swallow Falls and Fairy Glen along the way. The weather wasn't great but I was determined to shoot some landscapes. We got to Swallow Falls, I took the last two shots of the roll I had in with the intention of loading another and found nothing but an empty space in my bag :0( Luckily I had my digital kit as well so not entirely a waste (photographically!) but so annoying! Why do I shoot film again?

View attachment 35055

(a mix of handy rock and 10 second digital self timer saves the day..)

Now see what you've gone and done......:punch:

I've started looking at these pesky Mamiya 23's now. I rather like the look of them, I do love a good modular system and the lenses seem to get pretty much excellent reviews as well.

What to do, I haven't got any kidneys left and funds are low. :thinking: S'pose I'll just have to be patient and save up.

Andy

lol, since when have the words 'Patient' and 'Save up' been in the F&C dictionary? You don't really need to eat do you..

I'm very grateful to Nick for lending me his and am waiting to get my first roll developed. To be honest though, apart from the mahoosive 6x9 slides, I think I'm missing my old M645 more. I've decided I'm not a huge rangefinder fan as I tend to want to shoot landscapes more than portraits so filters are pretty much out the window.

Then again, I might see the developed slides and forget all about 6x4.5 :0)

Me and my little camera repair girl have been busy again. When the Super arrived I noticed one of the spring fittings attaching the film plate had cracked at some point but didn't appear to be affecting the plate too much. I haven't had the first roll back yet but thought I'd take a look today;

1) The top half of the sprung bracket which had snapped at some point but was still bolted to the film plate after I tacked it back into place.

View attachment 36532

2) My assistant helping to make a new steel bracket to add some strength to the original spring piece.

View attachment 36533

3) Bonding the new bracket across the break in the original piece to add strength.

View attachment 36534

4) After I painted the new cover piece black to match the original

View attachment 36535

I've now re-attached the film plate (pita job with the tiny screws/nuts and very short threads!) and am leaving the adhesive to set fully. The film plate is now sitting fully level so should keep the film as flat as it was intended too :0)

Cheers
Steve

Me and my little camera repair girl have been busy again. When the Super arrived I noticed one of the spring fittings attaching the film plate had cracked at some point but didn't appear to be affecting the plate too much. I haven't had the first roll back yet but thought I'd take a look today;

1) The top half of the sprung bracket which had snapped at some point but was still bolted to the film plate after I tacked it back into place.

View attachment 36532

2) My assistant helping to make a new steel bracket to add some strength to the original spring piece.

View attachment 36533

3) Bonding the new bracket across the break in the original piece to add strength.

View attachment 36534

4) After I painted the new cover piece black to match the original

View attachment 36535

I've now re-attached the film plate (pita job with the tiny screws/nuts and very short threads!) and am leaving the adhesive to set fully. The film plate is now sitting fully level so should keep the film as flat as it was intended too :0)

Cheers
Steve
That's amazing Steve, fantastic work from the newest camera repair kid on the block.

No problem Nick. Why have kids if you're not putting them to work (said the Victorian father..) :0)
Good idea Steve, as far as I understand it sending children up chimneys is no longer acceptable so camera repairs seem like a suitable alternative.

Well, finally got my slides back from AG and although I only managed a 50% hit rate after having to re-roll the film, the other 4 look ok. Two are underexposed though (interior handheld shots in a gallery) and the scans I got back from AG are pretty poor due to them being pushed and relatively low resolution so before I put any up here I'm going to rescan them on the V500 I've borrowed from Moomike.

At least the new light seals work even if my photographic skills are lacking!

Back