Mamiya Super 23/Universal users?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I'm struggling to stay away from 120 (as expected) and also looking ahead to wanting some new slides for the LightFrame so I've been looking at options. My original intention was to pick up another Mamiya M645 because I think that's been my favourite 120 kit up to now. However, I've started looking at 6x9 options for larger negatives which has led me towards Moskva-5's (ruled out due to not really being a massive fan of folders), speed graphics with 120 back and more recently Mamiya Super 23/Universal.

I've always gone for slightly obscure kit and the Mamiya certainly fits that bracket with its design! I've done a search on here and can see that @pentaxpete has one and Wilson @zeroeseight had one a few years back so I'm just looking for some thoughts about them. I'd be looking at a primarily landscape kit so the handling wouldn't be a problem, just interested in anyone's thoughts :0)

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
I've got one, it's big, unwieldy and quite heavy but an it's absolute classic and everyone should own one :D

Are there any cameras you haven't got mate? ;0)

Is yours the classic chrome or all black and what lenses do you use? I'm getting seriously tempted to pick one up but could do with trying one first.

Liking the look of that Nick...do you offer a leasing service? ;0)
More than happy to lend it to you Steve but I need to sort out the film back first, it needs new seals.

They're boxy, but they're good....

That's a really nice offer Nick, thanks mate. I'm happy sorting out the seals as a way of saying thank you if you like?

Cheers
Steve
Briliant, that's really kind of you Steve, let me check if I've still got your address.

Sorry, should have said that I haven't moved so whatever address you've got should be right (Bebington, Wirral).

Thanks mate, let me know how much the postage costs.

Sorry, should have said that I haven't moved so whatever address you've got should be right (Bebington, Wirral).

Thanks mate, let me know how much the postage costs.
No problem nick. I was about to order a seal kit from Aki Asahi for my OM2 so I'll order one for the Mamiya too. Is it the 6x9 back?

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Mamiya-press/6x9/index.php
It's the older multi-format back (although I don't have the masks so it's only 6x9), it winds from right to left unlike the newer ones which wind the opposite way. It's this one
Mamiya Super 23 film back by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Looks good Nick. On the Aki Asahi link above it shows a sizing diagram. Can you measure the opening and see if it matches please? Assuming it does I'll order the seals.

Cheers
Steve

Looks good Nick. On the Aki Asahi link above it shows a sizing diagram. Can you measure the opening and see if it matches please? Assuming it does I'll order the seals.

Cheers
Steve
It looks like they should fit but it's a little tricky to tell as I only have a knackered old ruler and it's also not exactly clear where the measurements need to be done.

Lol, I'm picturing you with a rough old wooden rule from your school days (in inches of course...)
Are there other units of measurement?

Rods, poles and perches, though I never worked out what they were for!

Rods, poles and perches, though I never worked out what they were for!
The rod is such an interesting unit. It was the length of the pole used to guide a team of oxen when ploughing. Oxen can plough an acre a day, which was one furrow long (furlong) by 4 rods wide, a rod being 16.5 feet, so there were 4 to a chain (22 yards - cricket wicket length) and so on ...
Edit for typo

Last edited:
Wow, facts! I just looked up wikipedia, and the perch seems to be a rather dodgy and imprecise cousin of the rod (or pole), apparently varying between 10 and 25 feet! Meanwhile, back at the Mamiyas...

I generally alternate between Angstroms and Chains for distance and Furlongs per Fortnight for speeds.

Very scientific...

Yes I have, a strange little thing until you get used to it. As it's half frame, you use it in portait for landscapes and landscape for portraits. Not forgetting the pull wind on!

Last edited:
No matter how hard you try, Steve, the pull of MF is too great!! :p

Yes there is......Here.....;)

Back