Beginner MANUAL EXPOSURE HELP PLEASE!

I've been known to use autofocus on occasion... :)

Agree, but it is the sensitivity of the ISO that governs the sensor. That's why it's better to be in control of the sensor rather than letting Auto ISO running away with it !
From the direction this has taken, am I to assume that you are one of the "minimum ISO always" type?
FWIW, when compromises have to be made ISO is *the first one* I will give on (up to a point).

The camera really isn't making any "decisions"... it's just following the meter the same as you do in full manual. In fact, I can set up my Nikons to manage *both* ISO and SS (A/Av mode) in exactly the same process/sequence I would apply if in full manual.

And just like when in full manual, if the meter is fooled by the scene you can override it.

That sounds a lot easier than preparing my own wet plates.

What will they think of next?

That's the reason to learn manual mode first... for most, application is easier/better than theory.

except that you are equally applying exposure theory in Av, TV or P

I was pretty much self taught from John Hedgecoe's books , and although my first controllable camera had no option other than M (it was an old ilford fixed lens thing that used to belong to my dad) as soon as I bought a modern SLR I started using AV most of the time.

End of the day there's not much difference between the PASM modes as end of the day its always about getting a correctly exposed shot

Last edited:
Ah, Hedgecoe takes me back.

My thoughts exactly - but Tit or not Lauren needs to do it his way if shes going to get top marks ;)

When i was at uni (not photography) we had a lecturer who was incredibly left wing , the only way to get good grades from her was to write essays on the plan right wing bad , left wing good and throw in some quotes from Das Kapital , or Che etc ... it grated but there was no point in defying her on principal and failing
She may have marked my economics paper, would explain my grades less embarrassingly than the alternative explanation;)

When i was at uni (not photography) we had a lecturer who was incredibly left wing , the only way to get good grades from her was to write essays on the plan right wing bad , left wing good and throw in some quotes from Das Kapital , or Che etc ... it grated but there was no point in defying her on principal and failing

Sounds like a couple of my history tutors who were disciples of the Marxist school. Of course, they were counterbalanced by my - much older - Professor of British Empire History who was somewhat more inclined towards the Kipling and Rhodes school :D [/QUOTE]

I was pretty much self taught from John Hedgecoe's books , and although my first controllable camera had no option other than M (it was an old ilford fixed lens thing that used to belong to my dad) as soon as I bought a modern SLR I started using AV most of the time.

End of the day there's not much difference between the PASM modes as end of the day its always about getting a correctly exposed shot

You're obviously a bit younger than me! My first modern SLR only had two modes, manual and Sunny 16... but I agree that's there's really not a great deal of difference between PASM. They're just different ways of reaching the same objective, and none of them are superior or 'more professional'.

Back