Many found photographs

Most were in their original sleeves and very clean, some were not. I did a few hours of spotting in Photoshop, but worthwhile to bring the photographs to life. They could have been created yesterday, except for the period references. I'm working on another archive but it might not yield many worthwhile images.

Some seemingly insignificant changes, in spotting, can bring the photographs to life.

Last edited:
These are fabulous, the shot of the zookeeper looks a liitle like Johnny Morris?

Catching up with the theme, I bought a Russian stereo attachment (let it be known, from a UK seller so I'm not directly supporting the Russians), very much like my Pentax beam splitter. It uses prisms and I think the Pentax uses mirrors, although my Canon 6D can't focus through the Soviet attachment for some reason.

Anyway, the point of the post is that the box contained three slides of Moscow landmarks, dated 1974. Here they are with the translated captions.

1779_002.jpg

"меный всадник"
памнятник петру
Horseman, Peter the Great Memorial

Perhaps a boulevard (I hesitate to call it a street) named after the great Tsar?

1779_003.jpg

The Bolshoi Theatre.

1779_004.jpg

спортивный комплекс в лужникак
sports complex in Luzhnikak

Last edited:
P.S. I think the photo was taken at the Washington Naval Yard in DC, which is where Trieste is still on display today

The buildings behind are identifiable in these views

The second one names a Regulus II missile in the scene ;-)

Last edited:
There are sites that show old photos e.g places and I use the local ones for some of my now and then shots that I've posted.

P.S. I think the photo was taken at the Washington Naval Yard in DC, which is where Trieste is still on display today

The buildings behind are identifiable in these views

The second one names a Regulus II missile in the scene ;-)

Thanks for the research.

Just finished scanning another batch of roughly 300 negatives, purportedly from the 1950s but there are some earlier. I won't be saving all the scans because there is quite a lot of dull pictures as you might suspect. I've managed to track down some background information about various pictures.

Not sure which airport this KLM flight has just landed at.

1788_Other_001.jpg

1788_Other_003.jpg

Just finished scanning another batch of roughly 300 negatives, purportedly from the 1950s but there are some earlier. I won't be saving all the scans because there is quite a lot of dull pictures as you might suspect. I've managed to track down some background information about various pictures.

Not sure which airport this KLM flight has just landed at.

View attachment 380800

View attachment 380801
Those are both at Croydon Airport; the control tower is very distinctive and is still there today; my secondary school was built on the site

The hangars in the first picture belonged to Wrightways, who ran air charters and scheduled services from Croydon from May 1935; the second photo is a Handley Page HP42 which were operated by Imperial Airways up to WW2.

edit: As I don't believe any HP42s survived the war, I think that places the photos firmly in the late 1930s.

Last edited:
Sinister arrangement of newspapers. I should scan this one at a higher resolution maybe to reveal the newspapers better. Everything was scanned at 1200 dpi .

View attachment 380811
I don't think the papers are the point of the photo (though there may be some interest in there after the passage of time). I think it's a focus test (and upside down).

Apologies, you probably already know all this.

Those are both at Croydon Airport; the control tower is very distinctive and is still there today; my secondary school was built on the site

The hangars in the first picture belonged to Wrightways, who ran air charters and scheduled services from Croydon from May 1935; the second photo is a Handley Page HP42 which were operated by Imperial Airways up to WW2.

edit: As I don't believe any HP42s survived the war, I think that places the photos firmly in the late 1930s.
Thanks for the information. Is the KLM flight a DC-3, do you think?

Looks like, of the four HP42s made, this may be Hannibal? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_H.P.42, G-AAGX Hannibal.

Last edited:
I don't think the papers are the point of the photo (though there may be some interest in there after the passage of time). I think it's a focus test (and upside down).

Apologies, you probably already know all this.
No I never thought of it to be honest. Thanks for enlightening me.

Is this the Coronation perhaps?

View attachment 380803
I should say yes, for George VI in 1937 at Hyde Park Corner

The stands in the background are visible here

Thanks for the information. Is the KLM flight a DC-3, do you think?

It certainly is!

I found another photo of a KLM DC-3 taken from the same spot in 1936 (which was the first year KLM operated the type)

Sinister arrangement of newspapers. I should scan this one at a higher resolution maybe to reveal the newspapers better. Everything was scanned at 1200 dpi .

View attachment 380811

Movies released in Britain in 1951 in the ads

Cinderella (showing at the Ritz Theatre, Weymouth)
The Magic Carpet (Palace)
Fort Worth (Lyric)

Also

The Ice Shows Christmas attractions at Alexandra Gardens, so probably that end of the year

Last edited:
There were a couple of 6x4.5 colour slides. They have a distinct half tone texture. I don't know the film type.

View attachment 380816

That looks very like Richmond Bridge on the River Thames in the background

I should say just about here

Last edited:
Movies released in Britain in 1951 in the ads

Cinderella (showing at the Ritz Theatre, Weymouth)
The Magic Carpet (Place)
Fort Worth (Lyric)

Also

The Ice Shows Christmas attractions at Alexandra Gardens, so probably that end of the year

Nice work.

By the way, there is an aircraft on the right of the picture of the KLM flight, G-ACPA. I found some information about it.

I should say yes, for George VI in 1937 at Hyde Park Corner

The stands in the background are visible here

Television!

Thanks to everyone for the research. I'm thrilled that I managed, finally, to get hold of some interesting negatives. The last couple of batches were less than thrilling.

I have a backlog of about 500 to scan, never mind spotting the latest collection. Of the new batch, I have some views, lots of portraits and groups. Holidays, parents, babies, pets, get the idea? Things never change.

Back