Marks 52 - Week 26 Night

I see what you are going for with Linear. Unfortunately I think the field you chose and the lighting you had aren't quite right for it. You've had to way underexpose the ground to keep your sky detail, which could be solved by either grad filters or (better still) a nice day with less contrast between sky and ground. For this composition to really work (and I think it can work) I'd reckon you need the lines to lead to something really interesting, or to nothing at all, like over a hill crest so all you see is furrows and sky.

It's always a strain to find the right location and lighting for an idea when you only have a week to do it :(

Interesting idea. One to work on :)

I missed your simple sorry - love the idea and the execution (y)

Linear, great idea but the light was aginst you big time.

Great idea, the lines in the field hold the interest, as others have said, it is lacking detail in the shadows, and being new to PS, I probably would have dealt with this using fill light. (but I am still soooo new to PS that I'm probably wrong)

well done. :clap: :clap:

I nearly did something very similar, couldn't find a field that I liked though.

As you say, fits the theme well, good comments on how to control the exposure above.

Not as good as last weeks Mark, tough shot this week.

Playing a little catch up here.

Simple, terrific shot,right on the money. :clap: :clap:

Linear, on theme, but like you say, appears very underexposed to me.

Thank you, glad you like simple.

I see what you are going for with Linear. Unfortunately I think the field you chose and the lighting you had aren't quite right for it. You've had to way underexpose the ground to keep your sky detail, which could be solved by either grad filters or (better still) a nice day with less contrast between sky and ground. For this composition to really work (and I think it can work) I'd reckon you need the lines to lead to something really interesting, or to nothing at all, like over a hill crest so all you see is furrows and sky.

It's always a strain to find the right location and lighting for an idea when you only have a week to do it :(

Interesting idea. One to work on :)

definately one for the reshoot pile, thanks for the detailed response and ideas, very much appreciated(y)

I missed your simple sorry - love the idea and the execution (y)

Linear, great idea but the light was aginst you big time.

Thank you Ruth

Great idea, the lines in the field hold the interest, as others have said, it is lacking detail in the shadows, and being new to PS, I probably would have dealt with this using fill light. (but I am still soooo new to PS that I'm probably wrong)

well done. :clap: :clap:

Thank you fpr your comments, the more I look at the more I wish I had something better, ho hum.

I nearly did something very similar, couldn't find a field that I liked though.

As you say, fits the theme well, good comments on how to control the exposure above.

Not as good as last weeks Mark, tough shot this week.

Thank you, you are right, I feel that I have let myself down with this shot:shake:. Which just spurs me on to do it better:LOL:

Well the good news is you got some good advise from some of the 52s...

still like you said great chance for a re-shoot...(y)

and good to hear you thinking positive about it...:clap:

Simple: I love the 2nd version even more than the first. (y)

Linear: I can only agree with everybody else on this. I love the idea, but the weather just didn't help you at all. On a brighter day it would look very effective.

I like The Matt's idea of all furrows and sky, but if you haven't got that sort of location around you're a bit stuck.

I love all the positives you've taken from people's comments, too. (y)

Jean

It's a shot full of interest, and I do agree with you and the others that the ground is a bit underexposed, but you were up against it with the conditions. Fill light or shadows/highlights may be able to help with the foreground somewhat, worth a try. You've had some great advice (I'm taking notes too ;)) from the others and I look forward to the reshoot.

Thanks for the further comments folks. One of the reasons I took this challenge on was to learn, so the advice given on weaker shots is all positive for me.

Onwards, must start thinking about emotion...damn that's going to be hard to do, let alone do well.

I agree with all the comments already posted and well done to you for taking all the advice on board. As an extra two penneth what about getting more height with a wide angle and just shooting the plants? Ignore that, probably completely impractical :wacky:

Thanks for the further comments folks. One of the reasons I took this challenge on was to learn, so the advice given on weaker shots is all positive for me.

Onwards, must start thinking about emotion...damn that's going to be hard to do, let alone do well.

I agree with whats already been said re the C&C and think it's great that you take it in a positive / constructive way. One to keep for a re-shoot methinks - it's a great idea so worth revisiting.

I can only agree with what's already been said. A great concept to explore later with either ND Grad or HDR shot. Just keep an eye open for decent light!

I agree with all the comments already posted and well done to you for taking all the advice on board. As an extra two penneth what about getting more height with a wide angle and just shooting the plants? Ignore that, probably completely impractical :wacky:

I agree with whats already been said re the C&C and think it's great that you take it in a positive / constructive way. One to keep for a re-shoot methinks - it's a great idea so worth revisiting.

I can only agree with what's already been said. A great concept to explore later with either ND Grad or HDR shot. Just keep an eye open for decent light!

Thank you all for the comments and apologies for not replying sooner. I've not got near the forums much this week... suffering withdrawal symptoms:LOL:

I couldn't let my poor attempt at Linear go uncorrected, especially when I chanced upon a suitable but similar subject! So here is Linear Take 2.

Thanks Mark(y)

Last edited:
Missed your first linear (and I happen to like it) but this one tops it :)

Getting that close to the 'wave' and seeing it recede into the distance is really unusual and really effective :)

I like lots (y)

Thanks John, I think it's an improvement, but I can still see a better shot in there.

Absolutley brilliant, I liked the original, but this blows that out of the water.

Well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Another tough week and possibly another week where I could have done better!

Anyway I chose happiness as my emotion I think it's the best of all emotions. When we're happy everythings good and our cares are a distant memory.

Bethan - Happy:)

Thanks for looking

Mark(y)

What a clear, crisp portrait! Love those catch lights as well

Very good interpretation of the theme too :)

Your second Linear shot is terrific. Well spotted, well taken and totally on theme. (y)

Emotion: Definitely one for the family album. She looks happy, relaxed and as though she's really enjoying herself. Bethan's a natural in front of the camera. Oh - and you've done an excellent job too. Top marks to model and togger. :clap::clap:

Jean

Brilliant take on your re-shoot for Linear...:clap:

and what lovely portrait, focus and lighting are absolutely spot on...:clap::clap::clap:

Excellent two for the price of one...(y)

Lovely portrait - lighting looks great and I'm glad someone went for a positive emotion. Well done (y)

The second linear is much better imo.

For emotion i have to agree with what Daysleeper says, nice to see a happy emotion and a lovely pic to boot (y)

lovely portrait...

do i detect a hint of fill in flash too?

thank you, and in answer to your question no, but you do detect and big dollop of studio flash:LOL:

What a clear, crisp portrait! Love those catch lights as well

Very good interpretation of the theme too

Thanks John

Your second Linear shot is terrific. Well spotted, well taken and totally on theme.

Emotion: Definitely one for the family album. She looks happy, relaxed and as though she's really enjoying herself. Bethan's a natural in front of the camera. Oh - and you've done an excellent job too. Top marks to model and togger.

Jean

Thank you Jean, Bethan needs some persuading, but when she's in the mood to have her picture taken she's great(y)

Brilliant take on your re-shoot for Linear...

and what lovely portrait, focus and lighting are absolutely spot on...

Excellent two for the price of one...

Thank you, glad you like them(y)

Lovely portrait - lighting looks great and I'm glad someone went for a positive emotion. Well done

Thank you, I did think about going for a range of emotions, but after the session this one stood out.

The second linear is much better imo.

For emotion i have to agree with what Daysleeper says, nice to see a happy emotion and a lovely pic to boot

Thanks Toothie(y)

There are a couple of outtakes in people and portraits if you're interested....shameless plug I know:naughty:

Mark(y)

Excellent Emotion, and Linears very good too :clap::clap::clap:

The linear reshoot is really good,a huge improvement.

Your emotion is a fab portrait, great expression.

the Linear reshoot is fantastic, well spotted and really well taken. The Emotion shot is also really good, lovely lighting and she looks really happy (y)

Thanks for the comments John and apologies I took so long to reply, must have slipped off my radar.

This is not the shot I had planned, that one didn't work as well as I had hoped:thumbsdown:

Anyway, we need look no further than mother nature for complexity, this flower, which I believe is an Iris was found in the garden. One of the pleasures of moving house is finding what plants we have and this one is particularly beautiful, delicate and you've guessed it complex in its structure:).

Thanks for looking

Mark(y)

Great oof b/g just need a little bit more of a colour boost to lift it...

Fits the theme...so a thumbs up from me...(y)

I think you are spot on with the complexity of nature, nice one.

good shot Mark, the shadowed and oof background works well with that complex flower. (y) good interpretation

Great oof b/g just need a little bit more of a colour boost to lift it...

Fits the theme...so a thumbs up from me...(y)

I think you are spot on with the complexity of nature, nice one.

my thoughts exactly, well done :D

good shot Mark, the shadowed and oof background works well with that complex flower. (y) good interpretation

Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated. The colour is quite faithful to the flower, but I'll look at giving it a tad more.

Mark(y)

Back