McNyat's 52. Still here!!! Work & Evolution added - More to follow soon... Hopefully

Name
Ciaran
Edit My Images
Yes
[post=3320196] Week 2 'New' [/post]
[post=3341467] Week 3 'Style' [/post]
[post=3366815] Week 4 'Open' [/post]
[post=3382844] Week 5 'Hard' [/post]
[post=3397251] Week 6 'Clutter' [/post]
[post=3424850] Week 7 'Delicate' [/post]
[post=3475383] Week 8 'Chaos' [/post]
[post=3475410] Week 9 'Finish' [/post]
[post=3490856] Week 10 'Trio' [/post]
[post=3674470] Week 11 'Re-shoot for Accommodation' [/post]
Week 12 'Moderation' - To follow
[post=3853519] Weeks 13 & 22 'Empty & Hidden' [/post]
[post=3674470] Week 14 'Object' [/post]
[post=3702377] Weeks 15 & 16 'Wrong & Paradox' [/post]
[post=3674470] Week 17 'Tropical' [/post]
[post=3762524] Week 18 'Power' [/post]
[post=3716571] Weeks 19, 20 & 21 'Divided, Promise & Twisted' [/post]
[post=3807890] Week 23 'Broken' [/post]
[post=3849704] Weeks 11, 24 & 27 'Knowledge, Elaborate & bright' [/post]
[post=3867612] Week 28 'Celebrate' [/post]
Weeks 25 & 26 'Rescue & Sensual' - To follow
[post=3938251] Week 29 'Smell' [/post]
[post=3964771] Week 32 'Evolution' [/post]
[post=3969786] Week 34 'Work' [/post]

Must have spent all week thinking about this one and not being able to do much about it as all daylight hours have ben spent at work :shake:

Anyway, after a few different approaches from my daughters dolls house to one of our bedrooms I opted for a shot of the access to our 'accommodation' and went for the B&W version as liked the contrast on the brass handle. Aslo I wanted to have the focus mainly on the handle and the key with the rest OOF.

1_Accomodation.jpg

Hopefully the 52 will prompt me to get out and about more over the coming weeks and months.

All C&C welcome

Please review the ammended shot based on some of your comments (with keyring more in focus). Does this help any?

Accommodation_z.jpg

As before.... all comments are appreciated (y)

Last edited:
love the perspective :) would have like to see your keyring in focus too as it looks quite interesting :)

good luck with your 52 ;)

Thanks Maria,
Will try to see if I can re-post based on your comments ;)

Good shot and good start. I agree about the focus; it ought to be on the key ring. does your canon allow to you select your focus point?

Yes, I like. (y)

I can appreciate the calls for getting the keyring in focus. However, this theme is 'accommodation' and so your decision to have only the key and handle in focus is the right way to go because it makes a stronger connection to the theme than a keyring ever could. This makes me think that perhaps you could have removed the keyring before the shot because it would appear to be distracting us all.

Yes it does Simon, but because of the angle of the shot and the walls of the hallway I was using a tripod and live view so I couldnt select the different focus points. I did however take a few different shots with the various focus settings. I will try to pp them together. Thanks

PS. I think the ring could stay in the key but that the dangly bit could be removed.

Just a thought.

Ammended shot based on C&C recieved here as posted above.

Is this an improvement?

Prefer the second one with the keyring more in focus.

Used to have a dog like that, only not covered in diamonds. He once got his nuts bitten by a doberman. They went all hard and purple. Still brings a tear to my eye.

Hi all, Like last week I've had a few ideas and have settled for an in house pic.

My daughter Emma with a pair of new (in her eyes) shoes that her mum has discarded to our girls' dress-up box.

C&C welcome as always

Emma_New_Shoes_Small.jpg

Anyone know how to change the title of the thread from week 1's callenge to week 2 (new)? :thinking:

I like the idea but I don't think the pose works that well tbh. I know you're trying to suggest she is inspecting the "new shoes" but at first glance I thought she was feeling a bit ill. A different pose whereby Emma is really showing off her new shoes and you would have nailed it.

I love them both (y) especially the little girl great shot to me she is looking at what she believes is her new shoes :LOL: great shots Ciaran well done (y)

I like the idea but I don't think the pose works that well tbh. I know you're trying to suggest she is inspecting the "new shoes" but at first glance I thought she was feeling a bit ill. A different pose whereby Emma is really showing off her new shoes and you would have nailed it.

Cant disagree aleb now that you've pointed it out :LOL:

Took a few different pics and opted for this one. Great to have the comments that might make me think differently about things

James, also appreciate your comments.... nice to get all types of feedback.

Anyone else have any other different thoughts?

I really like the pic of Emma with "new" shoes. The colours work very well. The red grabs attention.

I agree that the pose isn't quite right.

My conrtibution for this week.

Final_Ugg_2_smaller.jpg

The story behind how I've interpeted this as style....... My better half has been talking about a pair of these boots for well over a year now and truth be told I just dont like them (not my idea of style). However at Christmas past I had plenty of ideas of smaller stocking fillers but was drawing a blank for the BIG pressie. Whilst out shopping together about a month before the big day she tried this pair on and I have to admit that these were the first pair that I actually thought, they're not that bad. So a few days later my mission was complete. The best thing about them is that they have presented me with this shot of which I am very happy with. I guess she has more style than me after all :love:

I spent about 1 hour and have taken about a dozen different angles and played about with different lighting setups. I finally settled on this one and although Ihad a slightly more exposed version (I know that a sizeable area of this one is fairly dark) I felt that I helped to focus the attantion on the main focal point and liked the overall feel. V little PP here except for darkening a little piece on th ebottom right hand corner where they resting on a beanbag.

Please give plenty of C&C.

Looking forward to tomorrows announcement already. Some of these weeks I am going to brave the outside world ;)

Yes it does Simon, but because of the angle of the shot and the walls of the hallway I was using a tripod and live view so I couldnt select the different focus points. I did however take a few different shots with the various focus settings. I will try to pp them together. Thanks

In 550's live view can't you zoom in 10x and move about the frame with a joystick? You can manual focus really accurately this way.

I also think the keyring is not needed for this photo.

2, the composition is nice but I'm not a big fan of the pose. I think it could use a bit of colour saturation.

3. Great DOF and colour. Nice lighting. You can tell you spent time of the shot. I like this a lot.

I can't tell you how much i love your second picture depicting 'new' - its absolutely fantastic and really tells a story :)

I also really like your 'style' shot, as mentioned above the lighting is perfect and the angle of the shot is just right. The DOF works really well and 'Ugg' is nicely in focus - great shot :)

I Love the UGGs shot! My wife has two pairs! I actualy think they are quite stylish and practical! Especially in this cold weather!

In 550's live view can't you zoom in 10x and move about the frame with a joystick? You can manual focus really accurately this way.

I also think the keyring is not needed for this photo.

2, the composition is nice but I'm not a big fan of the pose. I think it could use a bit of colour saturation.

3. Great DOF and colour. Nice lighting. You can tell you spent time of the shot. I like this a lot.

Hi Kaz,
Thnaks for the feed back,

Shot 1. The comments have made me try to think about more than just what I think about a pic and consider what others may think about it.

Shot 2. All comments about the pose taken on board. I'm not a fan of B&W with a small area of colour so I tried to soften the difference between the colour shoes and the rest in B&W by giving a hint of colour to the dress.

Shot 3. Thanks, I probably spent more time on this shot than the previous two and am quite happy with the end result.

Time to get the thinking cap on for this weeks 'open' theme:thinking:

I can't tell you how much i love your second picture depicting 'new' - its absolutely fantastic and really tells a story :)

I also really like your 'style' shot, as mentioned above the lighting is perfect and the angle of the shot is just right. The DOF works really well and 'Ugg' is nicely in focus - great shot :)

Thanks luckless, I really appreciate that(y)

Nice shot. Brown is my favourite colour so I can appreciate any shot that includes it!
My shot for style also included UGGS!

Thanks Jonathan.

How do you (or anybody else?) get the link to your 52 at the bottom of your post?

Last edited:
Shot 3 is great. A veryinteresting picture that I want to look at, even if the subject isn't all that interesting. It's obvious you've spent time on it, love the dof and shadows if I'm honest.

Hi Ciaran

somehow I've managed to miss your thread altogether,my apologies .

Not really much to add as all seems to have been said before .
Wk1 : Great idea & I like the 1st version better with the focus on the handle/ door/key

Wk 2 : I looked at the picture before reading your thoughts behind & it struck me that she was inspecting her shoes .Love the colors,think they are just right although maybe color popping the shoes leaving the rest B&W would also have looked good ?

Wk3 : I agree with your comments on UGG boots (they aren't called Ugg for no reason:LOL:) but like your shot .Good colors & DOF ,only thing I might have altered slightly is a touch less brightness on the U as it seems to have lost the edge of the letter(if you get what I mean) But hey ,thats being really mega picky & you've done a far better job than I could manage (y)

Thanks Lynn for your kind comments,

My view on the boots has changed only slightly btw...... and still have a dislike for most of them that I see when out and about, so have to say it seems that we're both on a fairly similar wavelength :LOL:

My 'OPEN' for this week
A bit late but BLTN.

Week_4_Open_smaller.jpg

What I have learned this week is to set up as per the vision/idea, take the shots, consider what is missing when compareed to the vision/idea and tweak accordingly (more than once) ie:
1st shot was taken
improvements were:
Re-composition
Added glass with drink
Torch light to add highlights
bottle opener added
further tweaks to composition

Usual slight tweaks in Photoshop

I know its a bit similar to last week so had a slightly different approach and decided to post it as well.....

Week_4_Open_b_b_w_small.jpg

Our post box..... the key is broken and we cannot close it, hence it is always open. PP included adding noise and desaturating to give it an edgey run-down feel.

C&C welcome as always

Off now to find out what this weeks theme is;)

You had me at Magners...;)

Nice rich colours. Great focus on the bottle top.

I'd like to see without the edge of the table and I wonder about removing either the bottle or glass???

The red reflections in the bottom of the bottle are a bit too much...MINOR point but I thought I'd say...

Cheers.

You had me at Magners...;)

Nice rich colours. Great focus on the bottle top.

I'd like to see without the edge of the table and I wonder about removing either the bottle or glass???

The red reflections in the bottom of the bottle are a bit too much...MINOR point but I thought I'd say...

Cheers.

Really struggled this week as I wanted to do something a little different from my last few shots until it struck me tonight whilsy looking through photos taken earlier this week at Ciara's 3rd birthday party. Her along with BIG sis Emma.

'HARD' to believe she's 3!!! It seems like only a few months ago since she was born. :love:

5_Hard_small_b.jpg

Like I said, I wanted to do somathing a littel different to the still life pics that have dominated my 52 so far. Pick this one out and spent a little time on PP.

Please give some feedback on how it can be improved as I didnt get much last week and this is maybe my best hope of improving my photography. I know there are a few things like the cake board sticking off the edge of the plate, the paper stiking out the opposite side and the b'ground (which I have tried to dull down in the PP) but all comments are greatfully accepted. Also I know the composition sort of breaks the rules but I felt that it sort of worked... maybe?

Thanks guys.

Just read my last post and noticed all the spelling mistakes. Typing in a hurry.... can spell..... honestly :LOL:

Back