Medium Format Help.

Darren, I have a book called the Medium Format Manual- which deals with all the camera makes, types, parts lens etc. Happy to send it to you if you pay for the postage both ways ( I only ask that because the postage could be a few quids easily each way)

Oh that is really good of you thank you. If you think it will be handy I might look and see if I can get it first. (y)

(I like the look of those setups where it keeps your film cannister and chemicals at the right temp and rotates the cannister

A Jobo processor I think you mean. Not essential, and really a bit of overkill especially for mono film, but very convenient for colour stuff to introduce consistency into the process.

A Jobo processor I think you mean. Not essential, and really a bit of overkill especially for mono film, but very convenient for colour stuff to introduce consistency into the process.

It is for the colour I am talking about. Quite happy doing the mono without it. I have only developed a couple of rolls of Delta 100 so far but they both came out perfectly so it must not be too difficult. I went for the longer developing time at a more dilute level technique so that any slight timing errors were less of a problem. A few have just gone on ebay for not much money.

Wow thanks for all the replies, it will take me a while to read through all that 43 posts of advice and take it all on board! I'll reply some more once I have managed to read everything :p

hehe after all that reading I am still no closer to making a decision :D I guess I should have stated budget, which is around £500 maybe a little more at a push - I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to condition of 2nd hand kit, so whatever it ends up being will have to be fairly minty :)

I have been tempted by the RB and RZ's in the past, they seem great but I just cant convince myself I do not know why...

I'd love a hassy, but I dont think my budget will stretch, I'd be looking for a lens around 150mm - is that out of the question?

I'm still also craving contax.... Oh the choices!

Yep, it finally dried up around 7pm, so I went out for a muddy spin on the mountain bike, and needed the lights to get home in one piece. Looks like summers on its way out :(

Ujjwal, seriously thanks for the offer but for £2.75 I've bought it :) Would have cost more to send it two ways than that!! (y)

***I have been tempted by the RB and RZ's in the past, they seem great but I just cant convince myself I do not know why...***

Well no DSLR machine gunning with this camera as you only get 10 shots a roll, so with dev cost etc it gets you thinking before each shot.

Last edited:
***I have been tempted by the RB and RZ's in the past, they seem great but I just cant convince myself I do not know why...***

Well no DSLR machine gunning with this camera as you only get 10 shots a roll, so with dev cost etc it gets you thinking before each shot.

Not really sure what your getting at with that statement to be honest, I dont think I implied anything about wanting to machine gun anything did I?

I just wish I knew someone round here with one so I could try it. I want it for studio work AND landscapes doing all the developing myself.

The Real Camera Co. in Manchester normally has a few used MF bodies in -- you'd at least be able to take a look at them.

The Real Camera Co. in Manchester normally has a few used MF bodies in -- you'd at least be able to take a look at them.

Thanks, I work with a chap from Manchester he may e able to point me in the right direction :)

Thanks, I work with a chap from Manchester he may e able to point me in the right direction :)

5-7 Dale Street (entrance on Lever St.), MANCHESTER M1 1JA

...just put it in Google maps :)

Not really sure what your getting at with that statement to be honest, I dont think I implied anything about wanting to machine gun anything did I?

Well I was joking but coming from a Canon 5D MkII to a film medium format camera with 10 shots might take some adjustment in attitude surely. :shrug:

Rob, have you considered a TLR MF camera? Advantages are that they're usually a lot cheaper than their SLR cousins, lighter, and don't suffer from mirror slap, because they, well... don't have a mirror. They use a 2nd lens for viewing through ground glass (similar to an SLR like Bronica or Hasselblad). Disadvantages are that most of the TLR's have fixed standard focal-length lenses and suffer from parallax error when doing close-up work (ie. 10-20 inches away from the subject), which needs to be compensated for.

There are a couple of options available for TLRs which do have interchangeable lenses such as the Mamiya C330 or C220 - it's about the heaviest TLR you can get, but with an excellent range of lenses to choose from (55mm up to 250mm), it's the most versatile, and still about half the weight and overall size of say a Mamiya RB/RZ SLR.

Here's a pic of my C330 to get you drooling/contemplating :)

They're usually around £150-£200 with a lens, and lenses goes for £80-£150 each.

Last edited:
I think most people would struggle to notice any real difference between a photo taken on a Hasselblad and a Photo taken on a Bronica SQ personally (unless you a frame border spotting geek). Where you will notice the difference is in your wallet. Unlike digital cameras, MF film cameras aren't really going down in price any more so you could get a very good Bronica SQ setup with at least two lenses for your £500 budget. Bronica SQ lenses will sync up to 1/500 but you'll then find that your flash duration combined with the lag in the radio triggers makes it very difficult to use all of that flash power at these speeds.

If you then decide that you love MF film so much and you simply have to have a Swedish tart's handbag then you will be able to sell you Bronica gear for pretty much what you paid for it and buy the Hasselblad.

Have you budgeted for a scanner or will you get the lab to do it? In my limited experience I'd say that 120 flatbed scanners are more critical than 35mm scanners. The extra width of the film means they sag in flimsy film holders and can end up out of focus on the scanner. If you want to do the photos justice then you need something like an Epson V700/V750. Alternatively, if you're only experimenting then the price of a scanner can be put towards getting the lab to scan them instead.

Of course the holy grail is converting a room or your garage into a darkroom and printing yourself.

Last edited:
I'd love a hassy, but I dont think my budget will stretch, I'd be looking for a lens around 150mm - is that out of the question?
For a Hassy? You can pick up a 150mm f4 for anything from about 200-500 quid depending on condition. You can sometimes see 2.8 versions in that price band. Ffordes site is a good indication of used prices.

Rob, have you considered a TLR MF camera? Advantages are that they're usually a lot cheaper than their SLR cousins, lighter, and don't suffer from mirror slap, because they, well... don't have a mirror. They use a 2nd lens for viewing through ground glass (similar to an SLR like Bronica or Hasselblad). Disadvantages are that most of the TLR's have fixed standard focal-length lenses and suffer from parallax error when doing close-up work (ie. 10-20 inches away from the subject), which needs to be compensated for.

There are a couple of options available for TLRs which do have interchangeable lenses such as the Mamiya C330 or C220 - it's about the heaviest TLR you can get, but with an excellent range of lenses to choose from (55mm up to 250mm), it's the most versatile, and still about half the weight and overall size of say a Mamiya RB/RZ SLR.

Here's a pic of my C330 to get you drooling/contemplating :)

They're usually around £150-£200 with a lens, and lenses goes for £80-£150 each.

Thanks very much for your input - its quite funny I was actually contemplating the C330, had a few watched on ebay - but in the end decided to take the whole plunge and really push the boat out. they do really look like great little(ish) camera's but not quite what I am after - they look awesome too!

I think most people would struggle to notice any real difference between a photo taken on a Hasselblad and a Photo taken on a Bronica SQ personally (unless you a frame border spotting geek). Where you will notice the difference is in your wallet. Unlike digital cameras, MF film cameras aren't really going down in price any more so you could get a very good Bronica SQ setup with at least two lenses for your £500 budget. Bronica SQ lenses will sync up to 1/500 but you'll then find that your flash duration combined with the lag in the radio triggers makes it very difficult to use all of that flash power at these speeds.

If you then decide that you love MF film so much and you simply have to have a Swedish tart's handbag then you will be able to sell you Bronica gear for pretty much what you paid for it and buy the Hasselblad.

Have you budgeted for a scanner or will you get the lab to do it? In my limited experience I'd say that 120 flatbed scanners are more critical than 35mm scanners. The extra width of the film means they sag in flimsy film holders and can end up out of focus on the scanner. If you want to do the photos justice then you need something like an Epson V700/V750. Alternatively, if you're only experimenting then the price of a scanner can be put towards getting the lab to scan them instead.

Of course the holy grail is converting a room or your garage into a darkroom and printing yourself.

Hey Kev, I guess I shouldn't get to hung up on a name like you say, I've seen excellent images from many different MF camera's, its difficult to choose the one I like the most.
I have a friends who dev their own film and scan the neg's and they have offered to let me use their scanners/dev stuff to see how it goes :)

So far I REALLY want the contax 645 AF, but they are seemingly thin on the ground. I'm also yet again getting tempted by a RB/RZ... then there's always the hassy 501's in the back of my mind :bonk:

For a Hassy? You can pick up a 150mm f4 for anything from about 200-500 quid depending on condition. You can sometimes see 2.8 versions in that price band. Ffordes site is a good indication of used prices.

Thanks CT, I've been prowling Ffordes recently, they have some nice kit, if only I could make up my mind what I wanted (y)

if only I could make up my mind what I wanted

You can't so the best idea is not to try. ;)

Just pick the one you'd like to try first, it's much easier that way.

The Contax is a work of art in itself and so are the old blads but the mamiya and bronica equivalents are just as good (and actually better in some cases) for less outlay.

However, I'm all for spending the extra for that name and feel if you want it. After all this is an exercise in enjoyment right and if you'd enjoy shooting with a contax 645 over the mamiya 645. Get it.

Also, just to chuck one more spanner in the works. The Pentax 6x7, the undisputed king of the travel photographer and an iconic masterpiece. :D

Just pick the one you'd like to try first, it's much easier that way.

I think that's what I'm going to have to do, in which case:

*Contax.
*Hassy.

What are the best models of Hassys to aim for for £500-600? there seem to be so many different versions and I dont know the difference. Keep in mind its for portrait/fashion use with off camera lighting :)

For travel Darren, nothing like a Mamiya 6 or 7
( just more spanner, where none is due :D)

Thanks, I am so looking forward to going MF. I absolutely need to find a colour MF enlarger though and that is my first priority. I have been looking around at my digital kit thinking what I could let go to fund the MF but I can't really as I take the first steps into doing this professionally. I really do appreciate the advice, guidance and encouragement that you lot are giving me re film and I can still feel the elation at seeing my first B&W film negatives. I meant to do my first printing today but had to go out re the NW model meet and couldn't get into my studio as Helen was in bed unwell and I had a delivery due from Lencarta to finish my studio. (I can't hear posty from the studio - I need to fit a repeater on the bell!).

Anyway I am hoping that my first film prints will be on here tomorrow. Is anybody thinking of attending the NW meet and who has a MF film camera? I would love to buy some film and run one through at the meet. Lots of models etc etc......

I think that's what I'm going to have to do, in which case:

*Contax.
*Hassy.

Go blad this time. The Contax is too like a modern fully automated camera for your first dip into the MF world. The blad will satisfy that desire for beautifully engineered mechanics better.

What are the best models of Hassys to aim for for £500-600? there seem to be so many different versions

I will recommend 500 C/M

The others ( 503 etc) all improve on the basic theme of 500; and they get amazingly expensive

All lenses work on all bodies ( the manual bodies, not the AF bodies), and the body is just a black box - it doesn't even have the shutter, which is in the lens. So as long as the body is not functionally damaged, it makes no difference. If you have more money, buy the later lens.

An even cheaper body is 500C ( which pre dates 500 C/M - C/M denoting C-modified), but the focusing screen is not user changeable. And it has no split image, so focussing is a pain.

500c/m original screen has no split image either, but its user changeable; and the Kiev 88 split image screens fit perfectly. Available from Ukraine at 10 quids delivered ( possibly the cheapest hassy accessory :D) and 1 min job to change. I did it, and focussing became a doodle.

As for lens, the lens made before 1907s were silver barrelled; and had T but no T* ( these are called C T lens, and the letter T is written on the front of the lens). T* denotes a later multicoating. Since mid 70s ( 1974, from memory) the lens became black and T* coated. These are called C-T* lens; and much better than the silver barrelled ones.

From there , as you buy a newer lens, you get a better one. But really, the C-T* is a outstanding lens by all standards.

So at that price, you could aim for a 500C/M + 80mm C-T* lens ( with a 120 back obviously, if not 2)

You can also get a metered finder - again a Kiev 88 one - for about 50 quids. I got one, but it makes the package heavy and akward to the point of making it almost unusable.

Last edited:
I may as well stick my 2 pennyworth worth in...

TLR's are fine but a bit limiting in ways and obviously suffer from parallax error at close distance. Useful, but at the prices you can get film kit for now you can do better.

Bronica (I had an ECTL) was excellent. Decent lenses and probably more high tech than the Blad.

Hasselblad... (I had a 500CM) was just the best. In reality you'd be hard pushed to see any difference in the end result from any of them. But the Blad just won me over in terms of sheer quality of construction. The lenses were superb. The downside at the time (mid 70's) was that the outfit cost about a quarter of the price of the house! But for what you can pick them up for now... if you're fancying MF dont hesitate.

Thanks for all that very detailed advice, certainly clears a few points up.

the 500C/M + 80mm C-T* lens package does sound like a nice bit of kit indeed, I'm very, very tempted. I will have to do a little hunting around for a good deal :) unless I trip over a very reasonable contax and my wallet 'accidentally' fall out of my pocket ;)

HMM! I was looking for a Contax 645 a couple of months ago, but even 'cheap' on Ebay your looking around £800+, they do turn up in shops every know and again but your looking at £1000 - £1200 for one complete.

Mifsuds have a 500cm with waist level finder A12 back and 80mm 2.8 *T for £599.

HMM! I was looking for a Contax 645 a couple of months ago, but even 'cheap' on Ebay your looking around £800+, they do turn up in shops every know and again but your looking at £1000 - £1200 for one complete.

Unfortunately I had a feeling that may be the case, may have to forget the idea unless I get very lucky :(

Mifsuds have a 500cm with waist level finder A12 back and 80mm 2.8 *T for £599.

Thanks I had actually had a look at that one I think, had also been looking at a 500CM body with PME meter prism, 80mm F2.8 C T* Planar lens and A12 magazine on Ffordes, that's going for £800 though :thinking:

Anyway I am hoping that my first film prints will be on here tomorrow. Is anybody thinking of attending the NW meet and who has a MF film camera? I would love to buy some film and run one through at the meet. Lots of models etc etc......

I'm thinking about it. It's a bit of a trek for me but if I do come then you can run some rolls through my Bronica. Alternatively, if you're even down in the midlands with some time to spare you can come and use my MF enlarger.

I'm thinking about it. It's a bit of a trek for me but if I do come then you can run some rolls through my Bronica. Alternatively, if you're even down in the midlands with some time to spare you can come and use my MF enlarger.

That's very good of you thanks for the offer. You'll enjoy it if you come up.

Back