Medium format on a budget - Mamiya 645 vs Mamiya C series

It's a funny thing but 6 x 7 doesn't do it for me. It's got to be square or massively pano or its not right.

It's a funny thing but 6 x 7 doesn't do it for me. It's got to be square or massively pano or its not right.

I have no major preference over either format - I do enjoy shooting square after years of shooting only 3:2, but am keen to try out 6x7 for something different again.

Also, will be nice to have an SLR setup with prism - I love using the WLF on my TLR's, but there are times when angles or ambient light can make it awkward to use.

Let's face it, I am suffering with GAS - but I don't care!! I have collected all sorts over the years and am very much enjoying film at the moment!!!

I think you'll have to change the thread title!

The budget has been blown and GAS has taken over.

Get's us all in the end. :)

I think you'll have to change the thread title!

The budget has been blown and GAS has taken over.

Get's us all in the end. :)

Haha!!! I had forgotten about the thread title!!

It all went wrong with my first purchase...buying two TLR's instead of one!

So I went to view the RB67 this morning - seller was a really nice guy, clearly a camera nut has he had quite a few!!

It was the first time I had seen an RB67 in the metal....quite a beast, but a lovely piece of engineering! Not quite as heavy as I thought it might be, even with the prism fitted.

All looked good, he wanted £250 for the RB67 with non-metered prism and 127mm C lens - however as the item had received a bit on ebay, he didn't want to sell it directly, which was fair enough. A bit annoying, but I said I'd keep an eye on it.

He then pulled out a second RB67 and said he'd be selling that soon as well....nice condition body with WLF, Pro-SD back and 50mm C lens. He said as it didn't have the prism he'd sell it for £220.

So a deal was struck :) He then remembered he had an original strap with lugs for it and also chucked in a soft case - I was very happy :D

Can't wait to give it a whirl!!

Excellent news, and that is a very good deal. Received my RZ this morning and like you found it not as heavy as I though it would be, although with the 250mm lens on it does push it. Check out your film back for light tightness. You'll see that there are a number of foam seals and they may have gone a bit sticky. The newer one of my two backs is the Pro II so doesn't use seals, but the other RZ Pro back does and they're shot. I've ordered two seal replacement kits from Mr Goodman in the USA as they are very good; have used them on my OMs. As I only need one you can have the other if you need it.

Cheers Lee - hope you enjoy your new RZ :D

Obviously it is a heavy camera, but when I picked it up and handled it I didn't really notice the weight - it feels a little more comfortable in the hand than say my lighter C330, the engineers must have used a few more radii!! I can imagine it soon gets heavy once in use though.

Thanks for the offer on the light seals - I will give them a good look over tonight. The other RB had not long had new light seals, but I'm not sure about the one I bought.

Back