Memory cards for Motorsport

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have had a memory card fail and do a lot of Motorsport burst shooting. Can anyone recommend some 64gb memory cards that are fast enough for Motorsport burst shooting, slot Amy suggestions on what class of card etc to look for?

Last edited:
Thanks! To be honest, I don't really understand the class 10, U3 thing - but I have looked at those Sandisk cards before.

Is there any benefit to getting a full size SD card rather than a micro SD with an adapter?

What camera are you using? Does the manufacturer have a list of recommended cards?

I don’t really understand SD cards, but Fuji have a page on their website saying that if you want too performance use one of these cards, and gives examples from all the big players.

Finding out what your camera supports is key, as if it doesn’t have a UHS-11 card slot there’s no point in paying extra for a super fast card.

I have just started using a Sony TOUGH SDXC UHS-II 64Gb in my Canon EOS R. I use a CFast card in my 1DX-2 and the second CF card just for overflow. I only shoot RAW.

Apart from being extremely tough, the Sony card can write up to 299 Mb/s. It's expensive but the way I shoot is to upload a card's images at the end of a session, reformat it and start again rather than use lots of cards as some folks do.

Both card versions at Wex : https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-64gb-uhs-ii-299-mbsec-sdhc-card-1623460/

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-tough-64gb-uhs-ii-299mbsec-sdxc-card-1676769/

SD%20Tough%20Sony%20cards.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have had a memory card fail and do a lot of Motorsport burst shooting. Can anyone recommend some 64gb memory cards that are fast enough for Motorsport burst shooting, slot Amy suggestions on what class of card etc to look for?
Your profile says canon 70d so if that’s correct:

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-70d/fastest-sd-cards/

If that’s the camera you have whatever card you have you are only going to get a maximum 36MB/s transfer speed. It’s very likely that it’s the camera (70D) will be the limiting factor whatever memory card you use, so there is the potential to save a little money. That said SanDisk extreme pros have been my go to SD card for quite a while. They aren’t too expensive either (compared to what memory cards previously cost). Just make sure you buy from an authorised seller (not eBay!!). Amazon usually have good prices on them. Check out camera price buster for the best price.

Last edited:
I have just started using a Sony TOUGH SDXC UHS-II 64Gb in my Canon EOS R. I use a CFast card in my 1DX-2 and the second CF card just for overflow. I only shoot RAW.

Apart from being extremely tough, the Sony card can write up to 299 Mb/s. It's expensive but the way I shoot is to upload a card's images at the end of a session, reformat it and start again rather than use lots of cards as some folks do.

Both card versions at Wex : https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-64gb-uhs-ii-299-mbsec-sdhc-card-1623460/

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-tough-64gb-uhs-ii-299mbsec-sdxc-card-1676769/

SD%20Tough%20Sony%20cards.jpg
Whether you can use cards that speed depends on the camera and computer (1DX2 should be fine ). If neither can take advantage high speed cards may not be very useful.

I’m now the same as you in that I don’t use several smaller capacity cards. I’ve moved to big capacity cards but used as backup so two copies of data. Main card is 64GB CF which is taken in and out to transfer images to the computer. Second card is a 128GB SD card that’s never removed from the camera. I have a second 64GB CF card as a backup but usually I don’t shoot enough to fill a 64GB card so it’s only really needed when I have multi day trips away from home.

Once images are safely transferred to the computer (and backed up to two hard drives) I format both cards ready for the next trip out with the camera :) probably guessed I have a thing about ensuring I have a backup of everything!

Whether you can use cards that speed depends on the camera and computer (1DX2 should be fine ). If neither can take advantage high speed cards may not be very useful.

I’m now the same as you in that I don’t use several smaller capacity cards. I’ve moved to big capacity cards but used as backup so two copies of data. Main card is 64GB CF which is taken in and out to transfer images to the computer. Second card is a 128GB SD card that’s never removed from the camera. I have a second 64GB CF card as a backup but usually I don’t shoot enough to fill a 64GB card so it’s only really needed when I have multi day trips away from home.

Once images are safely transferred to the computer (and backed up to two hard drives) I format both cards ready for the next trip out with the camera :) probably guessed I have a thing about ensuring I have a backup of everything!

.... The Canon EOS R has 'only' 1 card slot (which some people, not me, complain about) and Canon recommend a SDXC UHS-II card for it. My buying a Sony TOUGH card is possibly/probably/maybe/definitely overkill but it gives me peace of mind and it is blisteringly fast - A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I recently tested it with a burst of 45 frames of a dog running towards me and it performed flawlessly. The RAW files were about 38Mb each.

The Canon 1DX-2 has 2 card slots - One CFast and the other CF, so no SD type cards.

When I have multi days away from the mother ship I upload all my images each evening to my laptop and also portable HD before doing what you also do by starting over again on a reformatted card.

All good advice, only buy the fastest that your camera can handle.

I took a tip from Tony Northrup and bought a handful of cheap/slow cards, and scattered them in easy to find places....car glove box, camera bag, coat pockets etc.
It may not help with high/max burst rates, and you may never need them, but it will save you if you forget to pack your fast cards....which I've done myself!

SanDisk seem best for value/performance, but as others have said, beware of fakes!

Last edited:
Your profile says canon 70d so if that’s correct:

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-70d/fastest-sd-cards/

If that’s the camera you have whatever card you have you are only going to get a maximum 36MB/s transfer speed. It’s very likely that it’s the camera (70D) will be the limiting factor whatever memory card you use, so there is the potential to save a little money. That said SanDisk extreme pros have been my go to SD card for quite a while. They aren’t too expensive either (compared to what memory cards previously cost). Just make sure you buy from an authorised seller (not eBay!!). Amazon usually have good prices on them. Check out camera price buster for the best price.
I do have a 70D and I have just bought a 60D as my second body to replace an ageing 400D.

So the thrust of it all is that there is little point buying anything faster than a 40mb/s card with the bodies I have?

I do have a 70D and I have just bought a 60D as my second body to replace an ageing 400D.

So the thrust of it all is that there is little point buying anything faster than a 40mb/s card with the bodies I have?

thats about the long and short of it.
now if you buy the nikon d500 !!!!!!

Fo those cameras there would be much performance gain for faster cards, but it’s possible a faster would let you transfer foiled to your computer faster. Other cameras may be able to take advantage of faster cards if you ever swap cameras in the future.

To be honest the price of the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD cards isn’t as high as it once was and Black Friday will some happen so they could be in the sales. Compared to the latest very faster SD cameras they are competitively priced and very good value. There is likely to be around a few pound difference between the 95MBs pros and say the 45MBs, 60MBs or 80MBs cards.

Just looked at prices on amazon, £13 is a steal for a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MBs 32GB SD card.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ex...41845439&sr=1-4&refinements=p_89:SanDisk&th=1

thats about the long and short of it.
now if you buy the nikon d500 !!!!!!

Er, no! I am a Canon man!

Thanks for the tips! I bought two 80mb/s Sandisk Ultras in the end. Should be fine for me - I usually transfer the images to my PC at the end of a day of shooting and I am yet to fill a 64gb card in a day. Ordered direct from Amazon too as I too have fallen foul of the counterfeit card thing.

Thanks for the help guys. I got two 64gb SanDisk Ultra cards in the end. Does everything I need.

Thanks! To be honest, I don't really understand the class 10, U3 thing - but I have looked at those Sandisk cards before.

Is there any benefit to getting a full size SD card rather than a micro SD with an adapter?
its a marketing thing. Class 10, U3 all sound impressive but the read write and capacity are the important things

Back