Micro 4/3rds Owners Thread

It makes the world of difference. How can you judge how a lens would perform taking portraits when you're looking at macro shots?

I'm not an experienced photographer so I won't argue the point but I would have thought that a prime lens is either sharp or not (varying between aperture settings), I can't see what difference the subject makes to that.

However it's suitability for a specific purpose might not fall soley on the basis of sharpeness I can understand that, but all I said was it was sharp and is specifically built for portraits.

Anyhow, if someone has some work shot with the 45mm I'm sure we'd all love to see it? Come on show us those pics :)

I'm not an experienced photographer so I won't argue the point but I would have thought that a prime lens is either sharp or not (varying between aperture settings), I can't see what difference the subject makes to that.

However it's suitability for a specific purpose might not fall soley on the basis of sharpeness I can understand that, but all I said was it was sharp and is specifically built for portraits.

Anyhow, if someone has some work shot with the 45mm I'm sure we'd all love to see it? Come on show us those pics :)

For a not experienced photographer you seem to have had more top notch kit in the past few months than I've had baths ;-) I would give a vital organ for a Nikon D700 or Canon 5d :bonk: seriously though...I agree with your point here.

I've just pulled the trigger on a G2 kit. It was a tough competition between the G2, NEX-3/5 and Samsung NX. The main thing that was putting me off the 4/3rds system was the sensor size, but the lack of scope for expansion of the Samsung NX system (right now), and the complete lack of standard things like hotshoes on the Sony system lead me to m4/3rds.

I'm downsizing from a 20D which I found I didn't use nearly enough because it was just too big.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 35 - 50mm fast (f/1.8 or faster) lens that I can use with an adapter? If it's Nikon or M42, it'd be nice because I have some existing glass in those (admittedly on a different continent...).

Thanks!

Any of the old Olympus/Konica/Minolta/Canon FD 50mm will do. F1.8 and wider. I expect Nikon have something too.

If you have a look at the third image in my examples (the one with the wire) that will give you an idea of the bokeh the EP1 14-42 kit lens produces.

The main thing that was putting me off the 4/3rds system was the sensor size

Don't worry about the sensor size. I plugged my GF1 into my brother-in-law's 50" plasma screen and was blown away by the detail, even when standing 1' from the screen. You can easily print to A3 from it so there's no reason to be concerned. (y)

Good grief, this G2 is complicated. And the manual is garbage. You know you're in trouble when the manual is 200 pages and is just English!

Congratulations on the new camera - I'm sure you'll work it out. The manual for the GF1 was also terrible.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 35 - 50mm fast (f/1.8 or faster) lens that I can use with an adapter? If it's Nikon or M42, it'd be nice because I have some existing glass in those (admittedly on a different continent...).
I can recommend the Konica Hexanon 50mm 1.7 (or 40mm 1.8) - amazingly sharp.

Congratulations on the new camera - I'm sure you'll work it out. The manual for the GF1 was also terrible.

I can recommend the Konica Hexanon 50mm 1.7 (or 40mm 1.8) - amazingly sharp.

hush, hush, hush ! let me firstly get some more hexar lenses, and then we can all talk about it ! :p

What do I need to connect my Nikon 50mm f1.8D to my GF1? Preferably not too expensive.
I would recommend rainbowimaging on eBay. They are based in the US, deliver to the UK in about a week, are very reasonably priced and give great customer service. For example on one adapter I ordered (Contax/Yashica to m4/3) they accidentally sent the wrong one. When I told them, they immediately sent out the correct one without waiting for the wrong one to be sent back and when they received the wrong one back, refunded my postage costs in full.

My Nikon to m4/3 adapter has an aperture control ring which allows it to be used with Nikon "G" lenses that don't have manual aperture control. Cost less than £25 delivered as well! :)

Paul :cool:

What do I need to connect my Nikon 50mm f1.8D to my GF1? Preferably not too expensive.

Just have a look on ebay for Nikon to GF1 adapter or similar, there should be quite a few.

You can use in either manual or aperture priority, setting the aperture manually on the lens (assuming it has manual aperture?). If it doesn't it might not be worth bothering tbh.

Edit:

My Nikon to m4/3 adapter has an aperture control ring which allows it to be used with Nikon "G" lenses that don't have manual aperture control. Cost less than £25 delivered as well!

Oh! That's rather cool.

Can anyone help me please. I want an adaptor for my GF1 so that I can use my Nikon G and D lenses.
I found this one on ebay.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-G-AF-S-Lens-Micro-4-3-Adapter-GF1-G2-G10-E-PL1-/110551045848 Does anyone know please whether this would work with a G lens and also a D lens, and what the limitations regarding metering and focusing would be?"

After my coffee I saw the above answers but could anyone advise whether the one on ebay above would be the correct one, and also if it would work on my D lenses as well

Last edited:
Can anyone help me please. I want an adaptor for my GF1 so that I can use my Nikon G and D lenses.
I found this one on ebay.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-G-AF-S-Lens-Micro-4-3-Adapter-GF1-G2-G10-E-PL1-/110551045848 Does anyone know please whether this would work with a G lens and also a D lens, and what the limitations regarding metering and focusing would be?"

After my coffee I saw the above answers but could anyone advise whether the one on ebay above would be the correct one, and also if it would work on my D lenses as well

Not sure about G or D lenses - focussing will be manual, but the camera should meter fine, in Manual or AP.

Thanks Graham. Now anyone know please whether above ebay item would work with D lenses as well, and if it's the right adaptor that I need.?

Hi hillwalkinggirl,

The Roxsen one you linked to seems to be identical to the one that I have. The english in the ad. is very bad, but does appear to confirm that it has the aperture control (you can see it in one of the images). This means it will be OK with the "G"elded lenses and, I presume, the "D" as well (but I can't confirm that for certain).

As grum said, the metering will be OK as long as you use manual or aperture priority and accept that the actual aperture you will get is as set on the lens (or adapter), not anything you may set on the camera.

It's also worth me pointing out that the aperture control on the adapter is not a substitute for the real thing on a lens. It will control from maximum to minimum aperture and all points between, BUT there are no click stops and the full range of apertures are available within about a 1cm movement of the control, so rather coarse, but better than nothing if you don't have adjustment available on the lens.

Hope that helps,

Last edited:
Thanks Graham. Now anyone know please whether above ebay item would work with D lenses as well, and if it's the right adaptor that I need.?

Don't get confused with 'G' and 'D' lenses, the two are not mutually incompatible. 'G' denotes a lack of aperture ring, whereas as 'D' denotes:
the ability to meter in "3-D" mode, an improvement which allows the body (through a chip in the lens) to better assess distance from the focal plane to the object being photographed.
(taken fromhere.)

If I'm honest, I wouldn't bother using a 'G' lens at all. Even with an adaptor with a adjustment ring you can only guess the aperture as there's no aperture ring to set. It's okay-ish with a non-G lens, but you'll have to remember to focus with the aperture wide open and then stop down to meter.

... If I'm honest, I wouldn't bother using a 'G' lens at all. Even with an adaptor with a adjustment ring you can only guess the aperture as there's no aperture ring to set.
BUT, if you have a "G" lens, or lenses, and are looking for an inexpensive way to use them on m4/3, then that seems a pretty good way to go to me.

It's okay-ish with a non-G lens, but you'll have to remember to focus with the aperture wide open and then stop down to meter.
Are you speaking with the voice of experience here Barney? The Panasonic G1 LCD and viewfinder automatically compensate for a low light level and brighten the image (don't know about other m4/3 cameras). I've never had to do what you've suggested even doing macro work with an MF lens stopped down to F16. Anyway, I would have thought that the main reason for using legacy lenses on m4/3 is to take advantage of good IQ and a wide aperture. Panasonic lenses will give most (non-exotic) lenses a run for their money at F5.6 and above.

All in my opinion, of course. Your reasons and results may vary! ;)

BUT, if you have a "G" lens, or lenses, and are looking for an inexpensive way to use them on m4/3, then that seems a pretty good way to go to me.[\quote]

Well it's the only way tbh, but I find that I'd just rather take out a DSLR instead when I want to use one of my G lenses (which are all far too big to get any benefit from using them with the GF1 anyway)

Are you speaking with the voice of experience here Barney? The Panasonic G1 LCD and viewfinder automatically compensate for a low light level and brighten the image (don't know about other m4/3 cameras). I've never had to do what you've suggested even doing macro work with an MF lens stopped down to F16. Anyway, I would have thought that the main reason for using legacy lenses on m4/3 is to take advantage of good IQ and a wide aperture. Panasonic lenses will give most (non-exotic) lenses a run for their money at F5.6 and above.

All in my opinion, of course. Your reasons and results may vary! ;)

It's my experience using a GF1, with NIkkor lenses. The only way the camera can compensate is by significantly boosting the ISO and thus you'll see a good deal of noise and therefore loss of definition. Far far better to focus wide open, stop down and then meter IMVHO.

All these different lenses and adaptors is just doing my old brain in :wacky:

I'll just stay with my GF1 and G1 with 20mm & 14-45mm & 45-200mm Panasonic lenses seems to produce some good results, well for me anyway.:)

And it saves me taking all those Paracetomol to try and sort out my aching brain:LOL:

I'll just stay with my GF1 and G1 with 20mm & 14-45mm & 45-200mm Panasonic lenses seems to produce some good results, well for me anyway.:)

That's the best route for my money. It's all very well having the potion to stick a whole host of lenses on the front of your MFT camera, but what's the real gain in doing so? Unless you need really shallow depth of field at a longer focal length then the 20mm f/1.7 can give you, I'd stick with the MFT lenses.

Well, we must remember that the 20mm f/1.7 is almost £300. That's a fair few old MF lenses you could have instead.

If my G1 had come with the 20mm as a kit lens I doubt I would of bought any other lenses, its that good. Barely use the 45-200, ill keep the 14-45 but probably won't use it as much.
Id like a good wide angle but the Oly and the Panasonic are still holding their prices well.

What a load of fuss . . . trying to stick a 'large, heavy' lump of glass and/or flash gun on a body not much bigger than a fag packet, the combination offering about the same balance properties as said fags:bang:

The GF1 is the 'Dogs Swingers' with a 20mm pancake lens . . . Thats it, pure and simple, want something bigger, less compromised, the GF1 is not the way to go:thumbsdown:

All the 'round and round the houses', ain't going to change that fact! Unless its toys you like playing with . . . :shrug: In which case, may be this thread should be re named . . . :LOL:

CJS

What a load of fuss . . . trying to stick a 'large, heavy' lump of glass and/or flash gun on a body not much bigger than a fag packet, the combination offering about the same balance properties as said fags:bang:

The GF1 is the 'Dogs Swingers' with a 20mm pancake lens . . . Thats it, pure and simple, want something bigger, less compromised, the GF1 is not the way to go:thumbsdown:

All the 'round and round the houses', ain't going to change that fact! Unless its toys you like playing with . . . :shrug: In which case, may be this thread should be re named . . . :LOL:

CJS
I thought that this was the Micro 4/3rds Owner's Thread, not the GF1 Owner's Thread?

There are a great many people using legacy lenses on m4/3 bodies. You only need to look at some of the other forums out there dedicated to this to realise that there is a real fan base out there.

A lot of people already own old, but very high quality lenses - often far better quality than those available from Olympus or Panasonic. They wish to extend their already considerable life and continue to use these cherished lenses. Others want to use quality lenses for which there is no directly, or even closely, comparable native lens. Anyone for a 300mm (600mm equiv. on m4/3) F2.8 Nikkor? Others just like to "play" or experiment. Witness the growing use of CCTV camera lenses on m4/3.

You may not want to do it. You may not even think it's a very good idea, but there are plenty of people who do!

I thought that this was the Micro 4/3rds Owner's Thread, not the GF1 Owner's Thread?

You may not want to do it. You may not even think it's a very good idea, but there are plenty of people who do!

Its actually a "Micro 4/3 thread", which is what I'm referring to, and yes I dont think its a good idea to hang great lumps of metal and glass on the front of the very small versions of this medium, thats my personal opinion which I am entitled to. Especially when the original furor was about the pocket-ability of the Olympus and Panasonic bodies with the 20mm pancake lens, to which they are highly suited(y)

What does worry me is the idea 'this is the best' . . . it also worries me, as the better option for heavy legacy and the larger modern lenses would be the G1, offering better size, practicality, swivel screen and a half decent EVF?

As I say, my personal opinion, I get the kick from getting the best from the standard package, which, others may not care for, an opinion they are entitled to :shrug:

Trying old kit, that is in theory better than the new stuff? . . . one wonders if its, better lens = a better picture? The 'picture and its draw' is in the hands of the tog behind the lens:naughty: It can work, if the tog is any good. I fly a flag for the early Nikon 18-70mm kit lens, top draw in its class, thats my view, I like it, on a Nikon.

In summery, I think the wrong tools are being used for the job:thinking: . . .

I'm in favour of the 'M4/3' system, as you will have seen, I have a G1. One has seen the comments; 'G1 to full DSLR is not much of a step' . . . see my post #80 . . . its one hell of a step . . . more like a leap, especially as a D5000 is not that big by DSLR standards. IMHO

Keeps the grey matter wheels turning don't it. ;)

CJS

Last edited:
CJS, I didn't say, or mean, that you weren't entitled to your own opinion. Even if it is wrong ;).

I think that you have taken a couple of my comments out of context (for the sake of discussion only, I understand that :p).

Not all legacy lenses are big and heavy. For example the 25mm f0.95 (yes, f0.95, beat that Panasonic!) Angenieux is quite small even on a GF1, so are the Pentax 110 lenses. Also some of the real classics are just plain beautiful! I do agree with you, however, that the G1, G2, G10 and GH1 are better suited to the use of the larger lenses, but a lot of people get a kick out using "inappropriately sized" lenses on the more compact Panasonic and Olympus m4/3s camera bodies. Who's to say they are wrong?

We all know it is the person behind the camera that makes a good photo, but if we weren't interested in lenses with a good IQ, we'd all have the bottoms of milk bottles stuck to the front of our cameras, and there would be no market for anything other than basic kit lenses.

Speak to any 10 photographers and you'll get 11 different opinions about what is best, but just as you're entitled to your opinions and choice of photographic direction, so are others. If that means hanging a bazooka of a telephoto lens on the front of an Olympus EP-1, well, so be it. It certainly isn't the "wrong" tool for the job. Just a little "misguided", perhaps. :D

Vive le difference! :hug:

CJS, I didn't say, or mean, that you weren't entitled to your own opinion. Even if it is wrong ;).

I think that you have taken a couple of my comments out of context (for the sake of discussion only, I understand that :p).

Not all legacy lenses are big and heavy. For example the 25mm f0.95 (yes, f0.95, beat that Panasonic!) Angenieux is quite small even on a GF1, so are the Pentax 110 lenses. Also some of the real classics are just plain beautiful! I do agree with you, however, that the G1, G2, G10 and GH1 are better suited to the use of the larger lenses, but a lot of people get a kick out using "inappropriately sized" lenses on the more compact Panasonic and Olympus m4/3s camera bodies. Who's to say they are wrong?

We all know it is the person behind the camera that makes a good photo, but if we weren't interested in lenses with a good IQ, we'd all have the bottoms of milk bottles stuck to the front of our cameras, and there would be no market for anything other than basic kit lenses.

Speak to any 10 photographers and you'll get 11 different opinions about what is best, but just as you're entitled to your opinions and choice of photographic direction, so are others. If that means hanging a bazooka of a telephoto lens on the front of an Olympus EP-1, well, so be it. It certainly isn't the "wrong" tool for the job. Just a little "misguided", perhaps. :D

Vive le difference! :hug:

Cant disagree mate, we can agree to differ . . . makes me smile though . . . now where is my wooden spoon . . . :LOL: (y)

The though of a Bazooka . . . :banana: CJS

All these different lenses and adaptors is just doing my old brain in :wacky:

And it saves me taking all those Paracetomol to try and sort out my aching brain:LOL:

Hm David, I'm just starting to think the same, and I was only really thinking of a way to use my 50mm Nikon lens.:bang:

Back