Mid-life crisis......the stringed instrument thread.

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
At 57 I have decided to take up a guitar. I tried when I was a kid but didn't have the patience. Now I have more time and more patience, so I bought one, along with an amp. I have started lessons with a tutor who was recommended by another friend and, I have to say, apart from my finger tips on my left hand are incredibly tender, I am really enjoying it. It's so relaxing and even though I'm no Joe Bonamassa, nor will I ever be, but just knocking out ' happy birthday to you', Smoke on the water and the Pink panther theme is a real achievement for me.

I tried acoustic and then had issues with my right shoulder (unrelated) and need to pick it up again.

It is very rewarding to be able to play something and I wish you well in your pursuit of further mastery.

Doo doo doooooo doo doo de doo :banana: :cool:

Nice one Nigel!
Soak the fingertips in vinegar for a few minutes every day, it helps to harden them (at least that's what I remember from my rockstar days!)

The greatest breakthrough I had as someone who liked to play for my own enjoyment was when I realised the guitar can be treated as a percussion instrument and it's all about the right hand.

4 chords and an attitude. (y)

Soak the fingertips in vinegar for a few minutes every day, it helps to harden them (at least that's what I remember from my rockstar days!)
Surgical spirit is another way to toughen your fingertips while they harden naturally through playing.......

I remember back in the seventies, going down to the local music shop with mates from school and trying out the guitars. We must have driven them mad, just knocking out Smoke on the water, Stairway to heaven and the All the young dudes solo - great times.
Then in the long, hot Summer of 1976 I was in a band. One Saturday, my parents went out for the day and I called the other guys around. We set up the equipment in my front garden and had our weekly practice.
When my folks arrived home, they were greeted with a crowd of people enjoying an impromptu rock concert in our road. They were not impressed :D

Play. Keep playing. Find other people to play with, that's where it's at :)

It's good fun, though a shame you left it so late to start: from the age of about 50 I found speed and strength starting to wain. Never too late to start though. :)

These days I play more slide than anything. Unfortunately I can't seem to upload a short video clip from last weekend.

Yay to guitars!!!

They are also a very tactile object to hold, even sitting on the sofa playing the scales is relaxing.

I don't get the relaxing bit - I find them demanding, emotional, intricate, involving and often simply hard work. Sure I can play a slow blues, but not for long.

brilliant hobby/business,my go to relaxation method. 57 years of playing and never ever get bored of it

I've been thinking about getting a ukulele.

Any recommendations?

Just a cheap e-bay one to start perhaps.

Last edited:
Nice one Nigel!
Wish someone had told me that. At 14 I just kept playing until they hardened up. Btw. Up to 3 years ago I had a Fiesta Red 1959 re-issue Strat and had buzzing problems with a Re-issue (with certificate) Vox AC30 amp so I exchanged it for a Marshall not realising its worth. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33394268...=5338365712&toolid=20006&customid=EB20957585&

I still have this Roland Echo/Chorus unit and it's in top condition. Looks new. I had it re-taped . The Shadows used this model at one time. I have no idea what it's worth.I bought it used from a chap in Bristol and went to collect it on a Boxing Day..can't recall which one, though..lol. Many years ago. I was there for 4 hours as we jammed..lol. He was in a group who played Shadows stuff. I play rythm. He also gave me a matrix chart with the various settings marked with an X for the different Shadows numbers and the person who marked them was Hank Marvin when they played at Colston Hall . He went to the back door with the matrix sheet of paper and asked Hank to mark the settings..Apache-FBI.. etc.. Couldn't do that now with a group..lol .I saw them at their Silver Anniversary 1983/4 UK Tour. I'd also seen them at Chester in the early days when Cliff Richard was with them.

Roland...https://gearspace.com/gear/roland/chorus-echo-re-301

I have this too.. in old money 4'2" L X 19" depth. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G70--roland-g-70

It's good fun, though a shame you left it so late to start: from the age of about 50 I found speed and strength starting to wain. Never too late to start though. :)

These days I play more slide than anything. Unfortunately I can't seem to upload a short video clip from last weekend.

Love the slide guitar. American southern blues. Could listen to it all day.

I've been thinking about getting a ukulele.

Any recommendations?

Just a cheap e-bay one to start perhaps.

Not many people know this..:D

but... The Shadows 'Apache' was originally a song written by Jerry Lordan and first recorded by Bert Weedon in 1960 .Jerry Lordan played the song on ukulele to The Shadows while on tour, and they liked it and released their own version which topped the UK Singles Chart for five weeks in 1960.

Wish someone had told me that. At 14 I just kept playing until they hardened up. Btw. Up to 3 years ago I had a Fiesta Red 1959 re-issue Strat and had buzzing problems with a Re-issue (with certificate) Vox AC30 amp so I exchanged it for a Marshall not realising its worth. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33394268...=5338365712&toolid=20006&customid=EB20957585&

I still have this Roland Echo/Chorus unit and it's in top condition. Looks new. I had it re-taped . The Shadows used this model at one time. I have no idea what it's worth.I bought it used from a chap in Bristol and went to collect it on a Boxing Day..can't recall which one, though..lol. Many years ago. I was there for 4 hours as we jammed..lol. He was in a group who played Shadows stuff. I play rythm. He also gave me a matrix chart with the various settings marked with an X for the different Shadows numbers and the person who marked them was Hank Marvin when they played at Colston Hall . He went to the back door with the matrix sheet of paper and asked Hank to mark the settings..Apache-FBI.. etc.. Couldn't do that now with a group..lol .I saw them at their Silver Anniversary 1983/4 UK Tour. I'd also seen them at Chester in the early days when Cliff Richard was with them.

Roland...https://gearspace.com/gear/roland/chorus-echo-re-301

I have this too.. in old money 4'2" L X 19" depth. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G70--roland-g-70

Shame about the AC30. I bought mine used in 1979 and it hissed like a kettle until you rolled the cut control down (this was a top boost reverb version with greenbacks). TBH I always found it a rather dry, brittle sound until it was running around half volume, by which time the first 2 or 3 rows in front of you probably had hearing damage. The model with blues was sweeter, but even louder, and keeping volume down while getting a decent tone was a constant battle. ;) I remember coming off stage when I was 19 or 20 with the world sounding very distant, and struggling to hear people at the after-gig party someone threw for us (first and only time!). It's now sat in our cupboard under the stairs, and will need recapping because it's not been used in 20 years. Ended up building my own amps as a way to get the sounds I wanted at sensible volumes.

It sounds like you have a wonderful gear collection. I didn't really start collecting stuff until about 20 years ago, by which time I'd already missed most of the bargains. Still have the Coloursound Fuzz that I was given for Christmas, aged 17, and the Crybaby (no longer working).

I went through a period using a Godin xtSA to control a Roland GR33 synth module. It was a lot of fun watching people trying to find the sax or flute player in the band. I still have it, but the kit isn't reliable and hasn't been out for a long time.

Love the slide guitar. American southern blues. Could listen to it all day.
I tend to play slide out in the back garden on a Summer evening, it is so relaxing. Just making stuff up is so much fun. It is always twelve bar based, but has to be really to work. In addition to the electric guitars I have one of these. The action is a bit high but the tone is great. It is an Italian Ovation copy, but maybe better.

Talking about buzzing ears - I was in a band for a while, playing very heavy metal a la Edgar Broughton Band, I was using a 100 watt Marshall bass stack and stood right in front of it for a couple of hours each gig. Fortunately, I guess, we didn't get many gigs - we were banned from places for being too loud! Keyboard payer (very early synth) went on to found Killing Joke.

I tend to play slide out in the back garden on a Summer evening, it is so relaxing. Just making stuff up is so much fun. It is always twelve bar based, but has to be really to work. In addition to the electric guitars I have one of these. The action is a bit high but the tone is great. It is an Italian Ovation copy, but maybe better.

Just checked the link and a message states..Sorry..it looks like this has been sold so I Googled it. Looks very nice.

Shame about the AC30. I bought mine used in 1979 and it hissed like a kettle until you rolled the cut control down (this was a top boost reverb version with greenbacks). TBH I always found it a rather dry, brittle sound until it was running around half volume, by which time the first 2 or 3 rows in front of you probably had hearing damage. The model with blues was sweeter, but even louder, and keeping volume down while getting a decent tone was a constant battle. ;) I remember coming off stage when I was 19 or 20 with the world sounding very distant, and struggling to hear people at the after-gig party someone threw for us (first and only time!). It's now sat in our cupboard under the stairs, and will need recapping because it's not been used in 20 years. Ended up building my own amps as a way to get the sounds I wanted at sensible volumes.

It sounds like you have a wonderful gear collection. I didn't really start collecting stuff until about 20 years ago, by which time I'd already missed most of the bargains. Still have the Coloursound Fuzz that I was given for Christmas, aged 17, and the Crybaby (no longer working).

I went through a period using a Godin xtSA to control a Roland GR33 synth module. It was a lot of fun watching people trying to find the sax or flute player in the band. I still have it, but the kit isn't reliable and hasn't been out for a long time.

My uncle lent me his acoustic guitar when I was kid and I enjoyed it so much I bought a sunburnt..I think it was called that..Hofner V3.. fancy remembering that name..lol.

I didn't know about the GodinxtSA so I've just looked at a Youtube demo. It's very good. I also looked at another Youtube demo re the G33. The strings are amazing.

I also have an Atari ST40 computer with a music programme that I had hooked up to a Korg keyboard before I gopt the Roland. It writes the notes as I play because I can't write music and can only slowly read the right hand so I play/compose music by ear. I just had to slightly change the position of the individual notes so all the instruments lined up. I was able to get various drums up too and got the drum pattern by hitting various keys in whatever beat I needed. I have six of my tunes on a personal CD using this recorder https://www.roland.com/uk/products/cd-2/

I have them on my iTunes but don't seem to be able to get an url.I can transfer them to anyone via an Email but not a link. I'll bet there are quite a few 'musicians' on here with varying levels of expertise. When I was 11 years old I was sent to piano lessons on a Saturday morning. Sometimes I gave my mum the money back telling her that the old biddy music teacher wasn't in and then I went to play with a local football team..lol. Then my mum had a letter from the teacher saying I was a waste of her time and my mother's money. Both my sisters got grades 5 or 6 but can't play like I do. Funny old world. I wonder how many kids have been written off by people liken that piano teacher. Little dumpy grey-haired women with half glasses. :D

I've mentioned on here before a friend I had at school when I was 11-16. Bobby Turner..He played the guitar and the headmistress told him he'd never get anywhere wasting time playing his guitar and to get down to studying. He left school and formed his own group..The Black Abbots with Russ Abbot as lead singer and toured in the US. They were from Chester. :) I watched them at the Shell Social club near Ellesmere Port.I worked there. Sadly, I read that he died a couple of years ago. Did anyone know that Russ Abbot played drums like this ? First clip..https://www.facebook.com/groups/232964490883/

These last few posts all started with simon-ess asking about a ukulele..lol.

Talking about buzzing ears - I was in a band for a while, playing very heavy metal a la Edgar Broughton Band, I was using a 100 watt Marshall bass stack and stood right in front of it for a couple of hours each gig. Fortunately, I guess, we didn't get many gigs - we were banned from places for being too loud! Keyboard payer (very early synth) went on to found Killing Joke.

Even now I still love heavy metal. Black Sabbath--Iron Maiden-Led Zepplin-Judas Priest. L-e-r-v-e the guitar solos. :D

Last edited:
Oddly in this day and age, both Black Sabbath (Iron Man) and Led Zeppelin (Whole Lotta Love) got played on the radio (Radio6 Music, DAB) on my way home this afternoon. Only a 20 minute trip so a nice surprise!

A few years of being a nightclub doorman and a few in a band (bass) combined with many riding motorbikes mean that I now need hearing aids. The difference they have made is incredible, especially to hearing lost parts of music!

Oddly in this day and age, both Black Sabbath (Iron Man) and Led Zeppelin (Whole Lotta Love) got played on the radio (Radio6 Music, DAB) on my way home this afternoon. Only a 20 minute trip so a nice surprise!

A few years of being a nightclub doorman and a few in a band (bass) combined with many riding motorbikes mean that I now need hearing aids. The difference they have made is incredible, especially to hearing lost parts of music!

I recently had infected eczema in my ears. :eek:

Lost about 50% of the hearing in my left ear for a while and still have higher levels of tinnitus than before. It was so bad I was having trouble keeping time with the band, even sat close to the drummer. At one point my ears were bleeding, and not from volume.

Very very grateful for modern medicine.

A couple of my favourite slide players

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qkjbQBEhvg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzjyQkMsVQ

Any thoughts?

For slide, by the way, take a look at Martin Harley.

Uke is not something I've seriously considered. The big danger is that you'll end up with a ULO - ukelele-like object - that is really just good for kindling. I've had some very useable and unbelieveably cheap guitars from ebay, but that's only because I can do the luthier work to make them usable. I'd probably look for something mid-priced from Amazon like the Aklot concert mahogany uke - well reviewed (and a lot of them) suggests it's decent.

You know there's different scale lengths? Soprano was the traditional scale (21"), but there's also 23" concert that appears to be the 'standard' scale and 26" tenor. A longer scale will likely give a bit more punch and be easier to play in terms of getting your fingers onto the frets.

Last edited:
Beware that once you get into guitar it can be more of a rabbit hole and money pit than photo gear. :eek:

Great idea to start off with a tutor, I’m self taught, started playing over 50 years ago and it’s taken me years to unlearn my bad technique and habits. I’m still not a great technical guitarist but I can get by and
enjoy playing, which is mostly the point.

If you want a top up between tutor sessions then check out Justin Sandercoe aka Justinguitar on YouTube. He’s really good, covers lots of styles and explains things in simple terms.

Your fingertips will toughen up naturally btw, you just need to play regularly.

Oh I forgot. Couple of slide players I like are Sonny Landreth and Bonnie Raitt.

I bought a Uke a few years ago, and eventually joined a class. Unfortunately that folded with the pandemic, but our local U3A starts a group up this week, which I'm looking forward to joining.

I cannot really advise about Ukes, but for my fat fingers, a soprano is way too small, I can handle a concert size, just fine, but I really like the tenor Uke - plenty of room on the fretboard. There is more to Uke playing than strumming by the way, but it is a good start. They can be expensive, I started with an Amazon cheapie, which I sold on when I was bought a Snail concert. Snail seems to be a decent quality mid-range instrument - I'm happy anyway.

Not used them personally, but our tutors raved about Southern Ukulele Store in Bournemouth for good advise and service. Finally check out Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's older videos on youtube if you want an idea of scope of the instrument.

Most importantly, have fun.

Today's lesson got me playing the Harry Potter theme tune and Deep Purple's Black Knight. I try and practice for 30 minutes every day and my finger tips no longer hurt.(as much as they used to)..Yay!

@boogie man , thanks for the heads up regarding Justinguitar on Youtube.

Back