Milky Way - 100mi around Bristol

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
With 5DIII and Samyang 14mm paired up I am getting desperate to try some astro photography.

Milky way sounds about right place to start seriously.

I'd like to get a list of potentially interesting locations, with minimal light pollution that are good observing Milky Way.

Interesting can mean anything from nice tree or some special rocks all the way to church, tower or a lighthouse. Just not a plain horizon and black land (at that exposure)

I expect this will be Brecon or Exmoor, but more ideas and detailed location are welcome.

P.s. Is it always towards the north east up here around midnight? I am really bad with my stars at the moment

I'm also interested in doing a few Milky Way shots with my new samyang. I've looked into it, and you need to be in a 'Dark Sky' zone. As it turns out, Exmoor was appointed Europes first dark zone, so I will at some point be heading down there for a weekend.

A friend who is into astrophotography told me that the summer months are no good, but from September onwards should be ok. He did tell me why but it went over my head a bit!

apparently Durdle Door is not impossible. It's a shame I prematurely arrived at a different conclusion last weekend.

Anything else exciting and not too far (or more specifically very painful to drive to)?

You need this site
http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

And a free application called Stellarium.
http://www.stellarium.org/

The first one shows you where all the light pollution hotspots are. The Milky Way (galactic plain) moves around depending on the time of year and stellarium will allow you to put in dates and times and see where it is. For instance, tonight it's just above the horizon to the NE but in August it'll be N/S straight over your head.

You'll be able to pick up the light from towns and cities 20-30 miles away so you really need a good dark line of sight in the direction it's in and the first link is very good at allowing you to find nice dark places. You need to wait at least a couple of hours after sunset for it to get properly dark too.

You will be looking at Brecon's I'd have thought, although times etc I'm no good with.
I'd love to tag along if you do go, and want some company.

Dartmoor (with its Tors) may be within the 100 miles and is relatively easy most of the way (M5/A38 to get you very close then a short hop up from Bovey Tracey or Ashburton onto the moor).

Back