Millers Wood

I have been several times and there are excellent opportunities plus John is a real nice guy! He has done some incredible things with different hides for different light / set ups etc. No need for extremetelephotos - Highly recommended!

I have seen this place and was wondering the same, good to hear some positive feedback

Had planned to ring John and try and get over today, but as ever life has got in the way
So will try and arrange something in the next couple of weeks
@nc_killie thnk for the info (y)

If you call him he is usually good at providing guidance and answers. Very flexible and not wanting to rip you off.
..plus if you go to their Flickr site you sill see some very good photos ;)

Wow, this looks great, I may well have to go and have a visit. Thanks fro posting about it.

Wow, this looks great, I may well have to go and have a visit. Thanks fro posting about it.

Still trying to find time to get there, will let you know what it's like when I do

Ive mailed him for August dates for Birding workshops, got some holiday going spare.....

Just spoken to John, really helpful Guy, booked to go next thursday, weather permitting :)
Need somewhere to try out new lens I've just done a deal on ;)

Just spoken to John, really helpful Guy, booked to go next thursday, weather permitting :)
Need somewhere to try out new lens I've just done a deal on ;)

Planning a Saturday visit in August....

What lens Ingrid ?

Planning a Saturday visit in August....

What lens Ingrid ?

Swapped my Nikon 80-400 which (I no longer need since I got the sigma 150-600) for a Nikon 70-200 2.8 Mk II.
My daughter is chuffed as she is inheriting the 10yo MKI (y)

Interesting.....
What made you do the deal ?
Im still torn on the 70-200 as my 70-300 still does the biz, but Im leaning towards upgrading my 300 f4 for the newer VR model ad keeping the 70-300....

Have hopefully just booked a worskhop with John on the 5th August....

Interesting.....
What made you do the deal ?

Leaving the 80-400 in it's box made it a very expensive ornament, and my mk1 70-200 although stillmworking fine
is a tad battered, been well used and about time to replace it.
Thought your 70-300had fungus ?
Personally I would go the 70-200 route, quicker focusing and far sharper

Leaving the 80-400 in it's box made it a very expensive ornament, and my mk1 70-200 although stillmworking fine
is a tad battered, been well used and about time to replace it.
Thought your 70-300had fungus ?
Personally I would go the 70-200 route, quicker focusing and far sharper

70-300 does have rot, but its not severe, the 70-200 does have a strong attraction to me, as does a 1.4 tc, and whilst Im enjoying the 300 its not got VR so requires some precise handling....

Borrow us 3 grand ? :)

70-300 does have rot, but its not severe, the 70-200 does have a strong attraction to me, as does a 1.4 tc, and whilst Im enjoying the 300 its not got VR so requires some precise handling....

Borrow us 3 grand ? :)

What's gonna cost 3 grand :thinking:
There's loads of good used 70-200s coming on the market, one of the things about buying quality lenses is they hold their value, I paid next to nothing for my mint used 70-200
when exchanged for the 80-400 (y) Even my old, well used 70-200 would possibly have raised £300 if I had sold it
Not a big fan of converters, and that is why I bought the sigma, putting one on the longer lens would have s;lowed autofocus and that is no good for my
type of photography:(

Johns confirmed us at Millers for the 5 th August.....

I'll let you know how I get on next week, not doing the photgraphy thing, John is a nikon user so will be able to help you out easily.
Both my long lenses will be coming with me and possibly the macro on the other body

Ingrid, he sounds really good! You might also want to have a look at Pete Wheildons hide - he's really fantastic and has a huge array of creatures and birds, I've been a few times and can thoroughly recommend him

http://www.petewhieldonphotography.co.uk

Cheers Maria, Millers wood is less then half an hour from me so much more convenient

What's gonna cost 3 grand :thinking:
There's loads of good used 70-200s coming on the market, one of the things about buying quality lenses is they hold their value, I paid next to nothing for my mint used 70-200
when exchanged for the 80-400 (y) Even my old, well used 70-200 would possibly have raised £300 if I had sold it
Not a big fan of converters, and that is why I bought the sigma, putting one on the longer lens would have s;lowed autofocus and that is no good for my
type of photography:(

I'll let you know how I get on next week, not doing the photgraphy thing, John is a nikon user so will be able to help you out easily.
Both my long lenses will be coming with me and possibly the macro on the other body

Used 70-200 2.8 vrii £1200
Used 300mm PF f4 £1200
Used 1.4 tc £200....

I dont like the weight of the Sig S and Ive not been overly impressed with what Ive seen from the C. I know some people can make it work for them. Plus, I dont currently need anything longer than 300, and the TC just gives a bit of extra if required.

I look forward to your results.....

I dont like the weight of the Sig S and Ive not been overly impressed with what Ive seen from the C. I know some people can make it work for them. Plus, I dont currently need anything longer than 300, and the TC just gives a bit of extra if required.

I look forward to your results.....

I couldn't handle the S version of the sig either,, did try it at Park Cameras, but the Guy I was dealing with told me there was very little difference
optically, more in the build and the it being waterproof, didn't worry me as I have fully rain covers
One I took earlier this week @600mm and cropped, if I get these results next week I;ll be very happy

35446027435_8484cc838a_b.jpg

BTW if I remember rightly you are doing a photoday at BWC next month, I'm only 30 mins away so if you fancy meeting up after to try the lenses hands on
let me know, can easily drive over that way if I'm free

Hi Ingrid - Im at BWC 19th July - Im flying solo so may well take you up on that, thank you.

Hi Ingrid - Im at BWC 19th July - Im flying solo so may well take you up on that, thank you.

Not working that day (y)
I'll look for some ideas of somewhere close by in case want me to pm my mobile number ?

Ingrid, he sounds really good! You might also want to have a look at Pete Wheildons hide - he's really fantastic and has a huge array of creatures and birds, I've been a few times and can thoroughly recommend him

http://www.petewhieldonphotography.co.uk

Thanks for the link, living near Guildford access wise this is almost same time/distance as Millers so another place to add to the "list" :)

PS not forgetting I have a voucher (birthday pressie) for Dean Masons WoW site

Last edited:
Well tomorrow is the day, really excited :banana:
Just had a long chat with John, now can't wait, will report back.
Perhaps we could arrange a forum meet there sometime ?

Well tomorrow is the day, really excited :banana:
Just had a long chat with John, now can't wait, will report back.
Perhaps we could arrange a forum meet there sometime ?

I look forward to your update, I found John very frank and helpful when I was thinking of going last Monday and as it was forecast to be so hot he advised 'not the best choice of day due to the forecast.......wait for mixed & cooler day.....'

So postponed until another day, based on the forecast tomorrow looks like there should be some nice activity and 'cooperative' wildlife :). Hope it is a good day for you.

I look forward to your update, I found John very frank and helpful when I was thinking of going last Monday and as it was forecast to be so hot he advised 'not the best choice of day due to the forecast.......wait for mixed & cooler day.....'

So postponed until another day, based on the forecast tomorrow looks like there should be some nice activity and 'cooperative' wildlife :). Hope it is a good day for you.

Yep and no bright sunshine.
He said much the same to me last week, and as there were already 4 people going said it would be best to wait, so I booked this week.
Not expecting miracles just to check the place out for the future as it's not too pricey.
I liked his comment that there are loads of tree bits laying around and if I want to alter stuff/build new perches, I can :LOL:
Seems I have the place to myself, HEAVEN :D

Last edited:
What can I say, what a fantastic day, very relaxed plenty of birds about.
John encourages you to make changes to anything you wish, hides are weatherproof, and have
netting type covers that you can easily see through without disturbing the birds,
Very knowledgeable and helpful Guy, always looking for ideas and ways to improve things,
has great plans for the future, will definitely go back soon.
Post a thread HERE , more on flicker if anyone is interested.
Anyone who plans to visit won't be disappointed (y)

Going back today with a mate @Blackwijet, hopefully doing the bank voles as well :D

Was there today, will post up when finished sorting through over 600 shots...

Great day out.

I am liking the look of this it would be a good place to get some practice and learn the skills I need.

I am liking the look of this it would be a good place to get some practice and learn the skills I need.
Do it! One of my current favourite places, such a shame its 1.5 hours from me, or Id be there every weekend.
John is a really nice bloke too.

Probably about 3 hours away from me but if there is a local small hotel or some such it would make a pleasant weekend away.

Probably about 3 hours away from me but if there is a local small hotel or some such it would make a pleasant weekend away.
Cheap hotels in Crawley which is 5 minutes away (Premier Inn, Travelodge), plus lots of nice (and more expensive) country hotels nearby!! If you stay in Crawley and like Indian food, highly recommend teh Taj Mahal, by the railway crossing.
You will enjoy Millers Wood - lots of options.

Back