It seems to me that this is about following a trend.
I get more pleasure out of photographing the subject as best I can, to share with others what I saw. If that means isolating the subject, then I'll isolate it. If it requires showing the busy surroundings, I'll show the busy surroundings...
It could be just following a type of photographs, paintings, and drawings that give you pleasure through a specific type of emotional reaction invoked by pictures that adopt this approach.
Minimalism isn't about isolating the subject, even if this is a common approach; it's about reducing the essence of the subject into as few details/tones/colours as possible.
As far as I am aware, the definitions of minimalist art vary across cultures. In the West, from the 1950's it seems to refer to abstract art that (according to Wikipedia) is
"...a modern abstract movement that strips art down to it's basic geometric forms, clean lines and simple materials"
But, for photography and photographers, it's might be more useful to look to Japan, where minimalist art,
"...focuses on simplicity, natural elements, and negative space to evoke quiet contemplation"
And you can see this approach applied to photographs, paintings, and drawings across many centuries and from many cultures, even if it isn't formally identified as minimalism.
I have a couple of books on Sumi-e (traditional Japanese ink painting that has been around for a thousand years) and it's easy to see why modern minimalist photographers, like Bruce Parcy and Michael Kenna have found inspiration from Japan for their photography. Especially if you read a bit more deeply into Japanese culture and philosophy, where you can see that the principles behind minimalist art in Japan, are the same principles behind much of Japanese culture.
The Japanese even have a special word for negative space "Ma", which has a much more positive meaning of being the "space between", which plays a positive role in understanding the objects in the picture. The non-photographic explanation of what this means is the pause between notes in a piece of music, where the pause is just as important as the actual notes.
I hasten to add, I'm (obviously) not an art scholar, but I like the minimalist approach to art and its use in photography (along with other approaches).