Minx 52 for 2021

Number 2 with the snow is the better photo, can you crop the tree sapling on the right hand side, and it appears to slightly lean to the left, i am assuming its on a slope.

Did you take a photo in the portrait orientation at all ?

Dirty ... looks suitably yucky - some dirt is not easy to capture.

Stone ... the snow adds interest.

Dirty - yep. Meets the brief!!

Stone - snowy shot for me too. A nice interesting subject for the theme, and the snow cap increases that interest for me.

Stone
I like them both, but feel the first one needs a touch more contrast.

I think you chose the stronger of the two - interesting little snippet of a story, leaves me wanting more.

just for you
There were two mills in the woods a sword mill and a paper mill they closed and were converted into gunpowder mills 1655,1690 respectively. The stones themselves are known as edge runner stones. After the ingredients were weighed and mixed, producing the ‘green charge’, it was then taken to the Incorporating Mill, which housed these edge runner stones that sat vertically on their edge, usually in a pair. In turn these stones sat on a brick built base runner. The green charge was placed under the edge runners and between the base runner, crushing and mixing the ingredients into a mixture producing the ‘mill cake’. The charge was kept damp throughout the process, which lasted two hours for rough blasting powder and eight hours for fi ne sporting grades. The amount of charge under the edge runners was restricted by law to 40lbs in 1772 and to 60lbs in 1860.

That fine by me its on theme, looks like you shot it at an interesting angle.
I like it, but could do without the brown reeds. I think they distract a tiny bit.
Dirty ... looks suitably yucky - some dirt is not easy to capture.

I did struggle to capture it I was on a bridge over the water trying not to get the wooden supports in frame, I tried from the sides of the bridge but the light was wrong and you could not see it and I was not going in to remove the reeds, I guess I could have photoshopped them out but was not inclined to at the time maybe I will revisit it some time.

Last edited:
it appears to slightly lean to the left, i am assuming its on a slope.

Did you take a photo in the portrait orientation at all ?
the ground certainly slopes down to the path from the stone and I do seem to consistently get it on a slight slant but I confess it might be me
not on the 2 trips I made this time but I may have in the past in fact it featured in last years 52 from a different approach in my digital shot (2nd image)

Last edited:
Stone: I like the look of the snowy image but the detail of the first, a deeper snowfall could make for a tripping hazard!!

Nice story Alison, who'd have thought they would actually grind gun powder !

Dirty - This is different and certainly on theme.
Stone- I like them both and the story behind them. Might have cropped the snowy one a bit tighter.

The snow scene for me. I think I would crop out the right too and perhaps try a contrasty b&w option.

Better late than never I have been taking photos but not been entirely happy with some of them and just not got around to doing anything with them so its catch up time

Tall

Tall
by Alison White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thats a big catch up :wideyed: the robin, the train wheels and the reflection all catch the eye

A super-catchup!

Really like the numbers one. It's just framed really nicely. Same for the reflection. Good eye for composition there.

Mega catch up. Alive and reflection stand out amongst some good images and ideas.

That was one hell of a catch up Alison.
I really like the dragonfly (y)

Of them all, I most like Green. It's not easy to find a shot of water with overhanging trees that looks interesting but this one is an exception.

That's such a catch up - well done. I don't recall some of the themes it goes that far back :D
I like Green too.. lovely reflections and perfect leading of the eye.

That was one hell of a catch up Alison.
I really like the dragonfly (y)

I like Out and About for the candidness, Patterns for the light but my favourite is Green.
It gives the appearance of being deep in a wood and seems very tranquil.

Wow what a catch up! They're all great pictures my favorite would have to be the dragon fly.

Of them all, I most like Green. It's not easy to find a shot of water with overhanging trees that looks interesting but this one is an exception.

That's such a catch up - well done. I don't recall some of the themes it goes that far back :D
I like Green too.. lovely reflections and perfect leading of the eye.

Thanks for taking the time to comment I was rather please with the Green shot too they never look as good in a photo as they do in real life. The Dragonfly had been brought in by one of the cats and I had put it outside on the washing line in the hope it might recover before I thought to try and get pictures of it.

Last edited:
Tall
They certainly dominate the landscape, I would imagine there is an extensive view from the top. Although wouldn't fancy going up the stairs if it was necessary, going down never seems as bad though.

Pair
Nice looking buildings and interesting story about how they were designed. It amazes me the artistry, technical detail and strength of buildings created in times when the architects didn't have access to the information and tools we have nowadays.

Spring
Well defined main subject with the bonus of a pleasing out of focus background. I might have checked if their was a composition where the thicker branches visible at the top left were not as noticeable.

Easter
The combination of colours work well together, I like the imperfection of the flower pen work on the egg.

Numbers
A very interesting clock, with the stonework colouring from the number 6 downwards making it appear as though there is a post holding it up.

Snappers Choice
I photograph a similar scene a few times, they always make me think of shower heads coming from the trees.

Reflection
Looks a really old carriage with the type of windows in use. Getting someone looking out would have improved it further.

Shapes
Not sure if the barrier holding the wheels in adds to or detracts from the overall image. The shapes in the individual spokes could be investigated further, maybe a close up through one of the nearer wheels to the further away wheel.

Alive
Well captured and sharp, a slight crop from the right hand side to remove the extra branch would help. One acronym I try to remember which I got from Tony Northrup's book on photography is BELTS.
Which stands for:
Background
Edges
Lighting
Thirds
Story

Snappers Choice
Nice reflections on the water, it would maybe benefit from the saturation being increased slightly

Rough
The Goose is doing well to stay standing in the rough water. The expression captured is great and its definitely telling a story.

Out and about
The angle you have captured her leg in movement catches my eye.

Patterns
Lots of different pattern, both man made and through nature. Possibly a stronger image cropping from the top and bottom to focus on the main steps.

Up close
A great level of detail has been captured with the main subject getting my undivided attention.

Green
There's no denying its a green scene but I would be tempted to reduce the saturation a bit

Snappers Choice
I think slightly more of the foliage at the left side would be better, especially the leave barely visible in the lower corner.

Plants
The light falling at the top work helps to provide a focal point although the image is very busy.

Back