Minx 52 for 2021

Interesting how the mast of the boat in the background looks like a rope hanging down from Bulls Bridge. I had to do a double take.
I may have cropped in slightly from the right to remove the object top left just above the parapet.

A very precise composition with a nice reflection.

Full circle - nice one :)

Nice start with a dull grey winters image Alison.

Good start to the 52 Alison. Nice framing and suits the square crop.

Hi minx, good to see you again.

That's a wow bridge reflexion. (y)

I really like they symmetry , and wierdly the graffiti really adds interest for me.

Fruit - Ivy berry

Ivy Berry
by Alison White, on Flickr

I got a phonescope for christmas and decided this was a good opportunity to play with it so this is an Ivy Berry taken on my mobile with the phonescope attachment.

Love the colours in this. I'm not 100% sure what the subject is because it looks a bit blurry on my monitor (and to my old eyes) but that green is a lovely hue.

(Also had to Google phonescope, so I learned something too!)

Nice one :) One for the tech too!

sorry Minx ... it's murky and ugly, whatever it is.

I think it's a berry but my first impression is that it is an out-of-focus frog crawling up onto a lily pad.

I think it's a berry but my first impression is that it is an out-of-focus frog crawling up onto a lily pad.
It is indeed a Berry its an Ivy Berry about the size of a pea but I see what you mean about the frog.

That's a hella macro lens!

It's definitely interesting - I'm guessing this is the apex of the berry looking down towards the plant? I quite like the composition, but the DoF must be half a mm thick and it looks like it hasn't quite fallen in your favour - for me the grey lumpy bit (technical description ;)) is the area that should be in sharp focus...

Looks like and interesting thing to play with though for some truly unique photos.

That's a hella macro lens!

It's definitely interesting - I'm guessing this is the apex of the berry looking down towards the plant? I quite like the composition, but the DoF must be half a mm thick and it looks like it hasn't quite fallen in your favour - for me the grey lumpy bit (technical description ;)) is the area that should be in sharp focus...

Looks like and interesting thing to play with though for some truly unique photos.

I do need to play more and trying to do this kind of shot hand held is probably not the best idea especially with the berry still attached to the plant.
I took some pictures of some black berries too (under ripe) these are soc.

Green Blackberry

Green Blackberry

Green Blackberry

Obviously the first is without the scope, none of them were great for the reasons stated above but I had a nice walk and a first play with my new toy.

Last edited:
I don't mind it at all, I know how big ivy berries are and thats one hell of a magnification.
the quality on those phone lenses are never going to be perfect but it could prove useful over the next few months for some interesting pictures

That green blackberry looks really nice.

Well I've seen how cumbersome the scope is you're working with, so fair play getting anything - 'cos I wouldn't have the patience.
It was always going to have a shallow DoF - parts of the image are tack sharp though :)

Some colours in the shot do seem a bit murky but the green jumps out at you. Hat's off for trying something new.

Great attempt at macro Alison.
Not the cleanest of images but its a start (y)

For me it doesn't look particularly sharp or clear. It's on theme though.

Fruit
Very high magnification, but that does lead to very shallow dof, even with the small sensor of a phone camera.
The colours (well the green) has come out quite well, it doesn't look over saturated like a lot of phone cameras do.

Intriguing. I pondered for a while and still couldn't work out what it was. I've never seen an ivy berry from this close and in my opinion it's good to experiment like that and put up something different.

Well done for experimenting, I think you’ve maybe tried to get in a bit too close and lost too much definition. I looked it up and it looks like a very interesting gadget, looking forward to seeing some more of your adventures with it. It would be interesting to pick a berry and try it again indoors on a small tripod, camera shake is a devil at that magnification, I remember doing some tiny salt crystals for on here many moons ago.

Dirty - I wasn't inspired for this theme I got this today while out in the woods some dirty water.

dirty water

bit a pabd but it keeps me up to date

Last edited:
That fine by me its on theme, looks like you shot it at an interesting angle.

Stone

The woods nearby used to house gunpowder mills and this is one of the mill stones that were used in it.

stone

I went back today and took another shot in the snow

snow stone

Last edited:
I think you chose the stronger of the two - interesting little snippet of a story, leaves me wanting more.

Dirty

I like it, but could do without the brown reeds. I think they distract a tiny bit.

Stone

Prefer the snowy one, but first one more on theme. interesting subject.

Back