Beginner Mirrorless help....

I did exactly the same recently sold my D90 whilst is still had some good resale in it and moved to an Olympus M10.
Then picked up a cracking 40-150 off here for a great price. Not regretting the move one bit.

That's very interesting to know.....

I may have to dig all my boxes out and value all my gear up to see what I can get for it all.

You prefer the size of these types of cameras over the larger DSLR's then?

That's very interesting to know.....

I may have to dig all my boxes out and value all my gear up to see what I can get for it all.

You prefer the size of these types of cameras over the larger DSLR's then?
Due to arthritis I was finding the D90 more difficult to use, so it was not getting used to its full potential. BTW try before you buy, I was considering the Olympus PEN range, but when I tried them, found them much to small for my hands.

This is what I got for my D90 and bits https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/d90-bits-price-check.599709/

Last edited:
I bought my first proper digital camera in January this year - an Olympus EM10 mark ii - and have since sold the kit lens it came with and bought two other lenses instead - the 12mm f2.0 prime lens, and the 75-300mm f4.8. I'm totally in love with the camera, both lenses completely surpassed my expectations and I've spent the year taking it everywhere I go. I've always loved playing with various film cameras, so I think the appearance of this one is what caught my eye initially, but I've since found it's capable of so many things. Taking pictures of the night sky, for instance, it performs incredibly well with the 12mm lens and being so new to digital photography I'm always a bit shocked when this little camera effortlessly captures an image that I always thought would be very complex to achieve (I'm also not great at processing yet so it's nice that the camera does most of the work first anyway!). It's small and compact so I can just stick it in my bag with the other lens and I'm set. I enjoy experimenting with different filters etc and having this camera leaves me plenty of space for filters, a tripod, etc if I go travelling with just hand luggage.

There are also other little details I really like about it that other people have even commented on - things like the in-built wifi that allows you to immediately transfer images to your phone. Having said all of this, it being my first digital camera I don't have anything to compare it to, but I certainly can't think of much to complain about. I think the only warning I'd give is that it's not water/dust proof, so I do get a bit protective if it's raining, even if only lightly - I daren't push my luck to see how 'splashproof' it is.

I was originally going to go for the mark i as I didn't think the additional features justified the price difference, but after holding them both and comparing, the new set up of the dials on the mark ii made much more sense, and were a lot more comfortable/functional. I've caught the bug now and I think in a year or two when I've improved a bit more and worn this camera out, I think I'll be looking at the EM1 mk ii as an upgrade (in fact, I'm already reading everything I can find about it). Anyway, sorry I've gone on a bit, hope I've offered some help!

Last edited:
I bought my first proper digital camera in January this year - an Olympus EM10 mark ii - and have since sold the kit lens it came with and bought two other lenses instead - the 12mm f2.0 prime lens, and the 75-300mm f4.8. I'm totally in love with the camera, both lenses completely surpassed my expectations and I've spent the year taking it everywhere I go. I've always loved playing with various film cameras, so I think the appearance of this one is what caught my eye initially, but I've since found it's capable of so many things. Taking pictures of the night sky, for instance, it performs incredibly well with the 12mm lens and being so new to digital photography I'm always a bit shocked when this little camera effortlessly captures an image that I always thought would be very complex to achieve (I'm also not great at processing yet so it's nice that the camera does most of the work first anyway!). It's small and compact so I can just stick it in my bag with the other lens and I'm set. I enjoy experimenting with different filters etc and having this camera leaves me plenty of space for filters, a tripod, etc if I go travelling with just hand luggage.

There are also other little details I really like about it that other people have even commented on - things like the in-built wifi that allows you to immediately transfer images to your phone. Having said all of this, it being my first digital camera I don't have anything to compare it to, but I certainly can't think of much to complain about. I think the only warning I'd give is that it's not water/dust proof, so I do get a bit protective if it's raining, even if only lightly - I daren't push my luck to see how 'splashproof' it is.

I was originally going to go for the mark i as I didn't think the additional features justified the price difference, but after holding them both and comparing, the new set up of the dials on the mark ii made much more sense, and were a lot more comfortable/functional. I've caught the bug now and I think in a year or two when I've improved a bit more and worn this camera out, I think I'll be looking at the EM1 mk ii as an upgrade (in fact, I'm already reading everything I can find about it). Anyway, sorry I've gone on a bit, hope I've offered some help!

Very interesting post indeed!

Thank you for sharing your advice!

I actually love the look of this camera too, so I'm back onto YouTube to check out video's and comparisons....

So far I'm liking a couple of features on certain cameras, the tilting screens look useful, wifi sharing to mobiles seems good and having both a view finder and screen seem like good options too!
Not overly fussed about it being weatherproof...
Still undecided, I'm hoping a trip to jessops in the morning may help...
do they tend to favour anything in the shops?

Jordan

So far I'm liking a couple of features on certain cameras, the tilting screens look useful, wifi sharing to mobiles seems good
I use WiFi a lot on my EM5ii when I'm away from a PC or away from home. On holidays it's priceless! Send or upload a picture right away. At home not so much.

I use Pixlr on the phone to edit them.

Last edited:
Just added the 10mk11 to my kit,already got the Panasonic GX8,i have to say for what it costs the 0M is turning out to be a great little camera,so good that i am considering changing my GX8 to a EM1, going full Olympus bodies with my Panasonic lenses.

That does look like a good deal for the Mk2. I Paid £399 for a MK1 with the EZ 14-42 (its hard to tell from the Jessops picture which lens that is) and then £40 for a 40-150 from here (which is a great lens)

That was going to be my next search, pricing the lenses up separately and seeing what they cost.

I use WiFi a lot on my EM5ii when I'm away from a PC or away from home. On holidays it's priceless! Send or upload a picture right away. At home not so much.

I use Pixlr on the phone to edit them.

Yeah, it seems like a great idea!

Yeah, it seems like a great idea!
Wifi is not exclusive to mirrorless cameras of course. But over the last few years mirrorless camera makers (Sony, Pana, Oly, Fuji) have been falling over themselves to deliver as many useful functions and improvements as they can fit in. Including firmware upgrades to previous cameras, that add new features, and enhanced performance.

Wifi is not exclusive to mirrorless cameras of course. But over the last few years mirrorless camera makers (Sony, Pana, Oly, Fuji) have been falling over themselves to deliver as many useful functions and improvements as they can fit in. Including firmware upgrades to previous cameras, that add new features, and enhanced performance.

Hi,
Yeah my reason for going mirrorless was purely to get something smaller.

Been to jesson's today, and while i was tempted to pick something up, the lady said that a couple of things will go on the black friday deals, so i'm going to take my chances and wait...

I like the size of the Fuji X10, the olympus EM10 ii, and the sony A6000 the other ones seem just that bit bigger therefore seems pointless me wanting something smaller.

I really love the look of the Olympus and its features, while I like that ISO dial on the fuji.... but then the speed of the AF on the sony is cracking!

I just don't know what do decide on!

Ive taken the plunge and listed all my gear on the forum to then see if i'll have enough for any other more expensive options to choose.....

Will the speed of the focus on the sony make it worth buying over the features of the other cameras?

Thanks again everyone... feel a pain asking all the time!

Jordan

My only issue would be that if I potentially had £700-£800 then is there something else out there that's better?

25mm 1.8
https://m.dpreview.com/products/olympus/lenses/olympus_m_25_1p8

25mm Pro 1.2
1000-Olympus-M-Zuiko-PRO-25mm-f1-2-4-Custom_1474315856.jpg

https://m.dpreview.com/news/5877052...pro-12-100mm-f4-is-pro-30mm-f3-5-macro-lenses

But you might prefer the 30mm macro.

Last edited:
@jordanogrady I have recently done the same as you are looking to do and switched from a Nikon body to a Fuji X-T10. I do not regret it at all, for me it has made shooting more fun as I love using the camera, more regular as I have it with me more often and I feel i've been getter better photo's overall.

I bought from the refurb store and with the discount code the whole thing came in around the £500 mark with a spare battery - I would expect with the X-T2 just having come out a few X-T10 owners will be looking to upgrade, so there may well be a few good condition X-T10's on the market.

Do the Olympus have a decent nifty 50?
The Olympus 25mm f1.8 is £319, there's also the Panasonic 25mm f1.8 which is £160.

I have the Oly as I don't think the Panny was out when I got mine.

@jordanogrady I have recently done the same as you are looking to do and switched from a Nikon body to a Fuji X-T10. I do not regret it at all, for me it has made shooting more fun as I love using the camera, more regular as I have it with me more often and I feel i've been getter better photo's overall.

I bought from the refurb store and with the discount code the whole thing came in around the £500 mark with a spare battery - I would expect with the X-T2 just having come out a few X-T10 owners will be looking to upgrade, so there may well be a few good condition X-T10's on the market.

Yeah, I'm torn between fuji and olympus at the moment, there are quite a few fuji's on the second hand pages now, but I think i may wait to see what Black friday brings, then make a decision on the best deals then...

I really like the size of the XT-10 (i think thats the smaller of the two XT-10 and XT-1 i can't remember) and also the Olympus....

Just can't decide!

Did you find the autofocus was quick enough for you? thats the only thing i really need todo to rule out the sony..

Jordan

25mm on MFT is about the same as 35mm on the D90.

35 x 1.5 (D90 crop factor) = 52.5mm.
25 x 2 (MFT crop factor) = 50mm.

Take a look at the Panasonic GX80.

If you're in the UK they're doing £100 cashback at the moment so you pay £447 and get £100 back leaving the cost to you as £347. I think that's very good value. The EVF isn't the best though but many people seem happy with it. I have the older GX7.

Yeah, I'm torn between fuji and olympus at the moment, there are quite a few fuji's on the second hand pages now, but I think i may wait to see what Black friday brings, then make a decision on the best deals then...

I really like the size of the XT-10 (i think thats the smaller of the two XT-10 and XT-1 i can't remember) and also the Olympus....

Just can't decide!

Did you find the autofocus was quick enough for you? thats the only thing i really need todo to rule out the sony..

Jordan

Yes, the X-T10 is the smaller of the two. I've been using it with the XF18-55 exclusively and still find it incredibly portable and that lens is sharp and versatile - for me it's the perfect travel camera. Stick the 27mm pancake on there and it's tiny!

I've not used the Olympus, so can't really comment on its usability or the files it produces, but the Fuji files are simply gorgeous in my opinion.

For me the autofocus has been fine, but I shoot a lot of architecture/city, travel and a bit of street(ish) stuff, so i'm not shooting fast moving objects regularly and tend to use single point focus, so i've not properly experimented with the other focus modes.

Take a look at the Panasonic GX80.

If you're in the UK they're doing £100 cashback at the moment so you pay £447 and get £100 back leaving the cost to you as £347. I think that's very good value. The EVF isn't the best though but many people seem happy with it. I have the older GX7.
yeah I'm in the UK, doncaster.
Its another model for me to check out for sure, in terms of the other 2 cameras, would you say its better. or just different.

Yes, the X-T10 is the smaller of the two. I've been using it with the XF18-55 exclusively and still find it incredibly portable and that lens is sharp and versatile - for me it's the perfect travel camera. Stick the 27mm pancake on there and it's tiny!

I've not used the Olympus, so can't really comment on its usability or the files it produces, but the Fuji files are simply gorgeous in my opinion.

For me the autofocus has been fine, but I shoot a lot of architecture/city, travel and a bit of street(ish) stuff, so i'm not shooting fast moving objects regularly and tend to use single point focus, so i've not properly experimented with the other focus modes.

Yeah the only reason I thought that the sony faster focus was good purely to catch the kids doing something, they move around so quick i just thought a quicker focus may help, and the dogs out running too!
However, I'm sure its not a deal breaker!

Jordan

yeah I'm in the UK, doncaster.
Its another model for me to check out for sure, in terms of the other 2 cameras, would you say its better. or just different.

Sorry I've lost track of what you're looking at :D

The GX80 is a RF style Micro Four Thirds Camera. It was introduced recently so it's quite a current model. These don't have the classic camera styling of the Fuji's and instead if anything they're rather minimalist which actually appeals to me.

I have the very similar but a generation older GX7 and it's a very responsive camera and with a compact prime it's winter / larger coat pocketable. This new GX80 will be likewise.

In fact mine is in the classifieds if you're interested in a bargain :D

Sorry I've lost track of what you're looking at :D

The GX80 is a RF style Micro Four Thirds Camera. It was introduced recently so it's quite a current model. These don't have the classic camera styling of the Fuji's and instead if anything they're rather minimalist which actually appeals to me.

I have the very similar but a generation older GX7 and it's a very responsive camera and with a compact prime it's winter / larger coat pocketable. This new GX80 will be likewise.

In fact mine is in the classifieds if you're interested in a bargain :D

I've narrowed it down to Fuji X-T10, the Olympus EM10, and i was looking at the sony A6000 but Im not 100% sure on the sony, I do like having access to the dials, and although I like the look of the Fuji with easy access to the ISO, I kinda like the feel of the olympus too! so I'm just really un decided....

Ive got no problem buying second hand, but was just waiting to see what black friday deals popped up 1st before i make a Decision .

Jordan

Very interesting post indeed!

Thank you for sharing your advice!

I actually love the look of this camera too, so I'm back onto YouTube to check out video's and comparisons....

So far I'm liking a couple of features on certain cameras, the tilting screens look useful, wifi sharing to mobiles seems good and having both a view finder and screen seem like good options too!
Not overly fussed about it being weatherproof...
Still undecided, I'm hoping a trip to jessops in the morning may help...
do they tend to favour anything in the shops?

Jordan

Apologies for just getting back to you. I'd definitely recommend a trip to Jessops if you've not been already! I'm based in Aberdeen and one guy in our shop was ridiculously helpful, I still go in there for advice from him as I know I can trust that he's going to give me an honest answer. Obviously I can't speak for every Jessops store but this guy was completely unbiased, and grilled me on what sort of photos I wanted to take, which cameras I was interested in and why etc, basically making sure I'd done my research and knew why I wanted the camera I was looking at. He was then able to offer alternatives for me to consider, as well as general advice. He's since helped me with additional lenses and when I wanted an ND filter that Jessops don't actually stock, he wrote down all the details for me to find it elsewhere. So from my experience, Jessops is a great place to discuss what you want from your camera and get a lot of useful advice that isn't going to be all about pressuring you to buy the most expensive kit in there!

As for the deal you posted for the camera body and two lenses, I'd personally just buy the body, as I got rid of my kit lens pretty quickly. If I had had the knowledge that I do now at the time of buying, I might have even looked at buying a second hand body, and then bought my two lenses new, just to save a bit of money (or have more for a third lens ;) The kit lens was fine but I soon realised I wanted different things from my lenses, hence buying two that are totally different.

Apologies for just getting back to you. I'd definitely recommend a trip to Jessops if you've not been already! I'm based in Aberdeen and one guy in our shop was ridiculously helpful, I still go in there for advice from him as I know I can trust that he's going to give me an honest answer. Obviously I can't speak for every Jessops store but this guy was completely unbiased, and grilled me on what sort of photos I wanted to take, which cameras I was interested in and why etc, basically making sure I'd done my research and knew why I wanted the camera I was looking at. He was then able to offer alternatives for me to consider, as well as general advice. He's since helped me with additional lenses and when I wanted an ND filter that Jessops don't actually stock, he wrote down all the details for me to find it elsewhere. So from my experience, Jessops is a great place to discuss what you want from your camera and get a lot of useful advice that isn't going to be all about pressuring you to buy the most expensive kit in there!

As for the deal you posted for the camera body and two lenses, I'd personally just buy the body, as I got rid of my kit lens pretty quickly. If I had had the knowledge that I do now at the time of buying, I might have even looked at buying a second hand body, and then bought my two lenses new, just to save a bit of money (or have more for a third lens ;) The kit lens was fine but I soon realised I wanted different things from my lenses, hence buying two that are totally different.

Hi,
Yeah I've actually been into a jesson's store to try and see if they push me one way or the other and they didn't. I was none the wiser really! I'll have to go back in to see if a different person is a little more helpful.

I was hoping for some black friday deals to try to tip me over the edge but nothing is sticking out at all.

Jordan

Next time give the image stabilisation a try out. People have been getting amazing hand held results from longer exposures.

I think most of them have it. Olympus and Sony seem to go furthest with IBIS. (In Body Image Stabilisation.)
They were posting impressive results on these posts: 1 and 2 . It does really well on my Olympus EM-5 mk2

Last edited:
Looking into lenses, what brand would be the best/cheapest to move to....
I used a 35mm on my D90 last time and 18-85mm

Thank you all :)

Looking into lenses, what brand would be the best/cheapest to move to....
I used a 35mm on my D90 last time and 18-85mm

Thank you all :)
The best is almost certainly never the cheapest I'm afraid. Fairly sure the M43 / Olympus offerings are the cheapest or one of the cheapest in terms of value for money.

Personally, I think the Fuji stuff is a good compromise of quality and price, but then that's hardly surprising given that's what I own.

The best is almost certainly never the cheapest I'm afraid. Fairly sure the M43 / Olympus offerings are the cheapest or one of the cheapest in terms of value for money.

Personally, I think the Fuji stuff is a good compromise of quality and price, but then that's hardly surprising given that's what I own.

Sorry, silly of me to say that to be honest.... it should have been more a value for money question...

It's only because I'm jumping into the unknown.

Sorry, silly of me to say that to be honest.... it should have been more a value for money question...

It's only because I'm jumping into the unknown.
To a certain extent. You seek to be looking into everything you need to but I'd say put as much into what the feel of a camera gives you. All results should be pretty good from any modern mirrorless camera, but the feel of one in hand may be drastically different from another.

The Fuji works for me. Try them all, make sure that all you look at fit your budget and see what you prefer in person :)

Back