Mod 54 holder

Edit My Images
No
Are these any good? I’m tray developing at the moment but I’d much rather do up to 6 sheets at a time and not have to sit in the dark!

Are these any good? I’m tray developing at the moment but I’d much rather do up to 6 sheets at a time and not have to sit in the dark!
They are ok if you know how to use them.
I ruined 4 sheets of Ektar by loading the film the wrong way round. The emulsion should be towards the centre of the tank, not the outside.
I also found that tank inversions should be done very slowly to avoid popping the film out of the holder.

How about a Stearman Press tank? They've just released a 6-sheet version.

I use the 4-sheet tank and it's brilliant.

I struggled loading the Mod 54 and ended up just using it for four films rather than the maximum of six. I've used a Stearman which is pretty good and easy to load but my favorite is the Paterson Orbital, not available new unfortunately.

I like the idea but it’s a bit pricey

Do you do anything to hold the lid on?
I know it says squeeze the tank and do up both of the caps and I assume this is to cause a partial vacuum in the tank.
I have seen videos of people using elastic bands or duck tape.

Last edited:
Do you do anything to hold the lid on?
I know it says squeeze the tank and do up both of the caps and I assume this is to cause a partial vacuum in the tank.
I have seen videos of people using elastic bands or duck tape.

The lid has a rubber gasket, so it fits pretty snuggly. I attach a bit of masking tape over the top just to add a bit of a failsafe, but it would probably be ok without.

Last edited:
I struggled loading the Mod 54 and ended up just using it for four films rather than the maximum of six. I've used a Stearman which is pretty good and easy to load but my favorite is the Paterson Orbital, not available new unfortunately.

Have you processed colour slide film in the orbital?
I was looking at these second hand but wondered how I'd keep the chemistry at temperature.

I attach a bit of masking tape over the top just to add a bit of a failsafe, but it would probably be ok without.

Unless you happen to knock the Stearman tank off a table, causing the lid to fly off and expose the film within to light, as I have done in my last two attempts at developing. To be fair I had put vaseline on the gasket to help the lid go on, as I otherwise found it to be difficult to push the lid down completely. I suggest that the best compromise is to use vaseline AND put tape across the top.

Unless you happen to knock the Stearman tank off a table, causing the lid to fly off and expose the film within to light, as I have done in my last two attempts at developing. To be fair I had put vaseline on the gasket to help the lid go on, as I otherwise found it to be difficult to push the lid down completely. I suggest that the best compromise is to use vaseline AND put tape across the top.

Have you considered a chain and padlock? :D

I think I'll go with the elastic band option.

Back