week 9
week 10
week 11
week 12
week 13
week 14
week 15

Last edited:
It's a shame the background is almost the same colour as the railings. I'd personally prefer more contrast so that the 'curved' bits stand out more.

A good start Molly.

Perhaps converting to black and white plus increasing brightness and contrast would help to lose the background?

Like the curves, some interesting cracks and curves but yeah, the background makes it almost look more like the railings are sculpted into the stone or something.

It's your challenge Molly so your rules.

I personally like the one you've posted. Just tweak the contrast a bit and you're sorted.

Hi Molly,

Really well spotted.
I was going to say that I actually quite liked the simplicity of the pale background and the pale railings, but I thought that it could do with a contrast boost.
I see that I've been beaten to it and you've posted the edited shot. Much, much better (y)

Only other change I'd like is a tiny crop off the LHS. I know this is incredibly picky of me, but because it's a repetitive pattern I'd like the design to start and end at the same place in the pattern (if you know what I mean)

Have you thought about increasing highlights a little and maybe a little sharpening? Think it would bring the railings out further.

nice, the second works load's better, more definition to the curves. As said, a crop to the side to make it symmetrical would make it prefect

Excellent! I'd be tempted to increase the sharpness/contrast just a tad - though I suppose it might not work with the background.

Shirley, I like that, good curves, and the pattern is excellent. It's a shame you've taken down the original 2 images so we could see the progression.

Spring2010.jpg

Spring
Every sweet bud unfording,
Every green leaf unfurled
For the joy of man's beholding,
In God's most wonderful world.

Every small star bright shining,
Every soft breeze astir,
All natrue's heart enshrining
His beauty everywhere.

Every strong shoot upsurging,
Every cold drop of rain
Blessing new life emerging,
As spring comes round again.
By A. E. Passmore

Last edited:
Poetry - lovely colours and lighting, with a beautiful contrast between the sharpness of the bud and the soft bokeh of the background. :clap::clap:

I'm not quite sure about the crop, though. I would be inclined to rotate it slightly to angle the stalk a little more, and also have the stalk a little shorter. I don't know how it would work out in practice, though!

Lovely crisp shot and a ray of sunshine in what's been a miserable week for most I suspect weather wise. Just shows spring really is just around the corner.

Love the shot, works really well for me. I would have probably cropped the image slightly differently to put even more emphasis on the flower bud and also have cropped out the black bit in the top left.

C

Thank you for your comments, I have got rid of the black line I got in adobe whilst slightly tilting the photo. We had one day of snow but the weather was freezing and I had to search for a few buds.

You seem to have a recurring theme here... week one was grey railing against grey background. Week 3 it's an orangey lemon against an orange background. I think you need to try it against a different background.

Shame you've chopped off the bottom of the lemon in the image. White balance needs a tweak as well.

Nice pic, bit orange - not sure if that's a comment on the lemon to be honest, but I suspect more a case of incorrect white balance? Here, I have adjusted that, boosted the colour, sharpened a little and upped the gamma a bit.

lemon.jpg

Hope you don't mind... I try not to do this but in this case I could not resisit :D

Arthur

Thank you Arthur I don't mind at all and you make a dull photo which was washed out more interesting, thank goodness the bread board was clean.

Shirley, I like the chopped image, but the white balance is a little out. How are you shooting ? If jpg, set the white balance to the correct lighting, if raw, you have far more leeway to play with it to suit. Arthur's edit has sorted it out.

I tried Raw but my hard drives was too full, then I went to raw and jpeg and just for a while have gone just to jpeg, I haven't got much time for sitting by the computor and working on the raw photos but I will in time, I nearly ran out of time for the Street photo.

I'm sorry James I hadn't realised you had moved the photo I thought it was something I had done, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing but thanks for your kind words on my photos. We are back to freezing Northern winds, February tomorrow one step nearer spring.

I like it, the walls certainly contain the image and move you along it. I agree about the contrast. I also wonder what it would look like lower down, so the camera is actually at or below the height of the walls...

Loved the shot of the Bud, an absolute corker. lasts weeks street is a simple shot but well executed, the two walls keep your eye going through the shot,Nice composition....Mick

Back