North England Monthly Leeds (and local meets) thoughts thread.

Thursday looks like better weather. Rob @robphotographer is also off on Thursday.

Are you free on Thursday phil? @Phil-D

Also Friday is a bank holiday so places could be busier!

Thursday certainly looks the better day weather wise Tim, wind is down to a breeze, which after the last few days will be a god send :clap:

I'm normally done for Thursday dinner, so afternoon/evening, either or both's good for me. If you chaps want to get off in the morning, I can always catch you up :)

With the light breeze forecast, maybe Scammonden might be an idea for the evening, :thinking: maybe somewhere else before?

Just let me know the plan I'll make sure my camera is on charge tomorrow

This is the results of the 2 x 3stop filters and the skylight put together, it gives me about 6 and 2/3rds of a stop. I haven't altered the colour or WB in PP'ing, I'm amazed there's very little, if any, colour cast.

Do think I need a 10stop though, this was shot at the extremes, f32 and I still only got 4 seconds but I'm thinking for sunsets and light trails should be good (y)

Edit- with the 10stop, what aperture were you shooting at to get what length of exposure on Sunday Tim?

7 stop test
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Erm...oo what about Bolton Abbey.. Always wanted to go there.. [emoji2]

I fancy Bolton Abbey, but at night :D sounds good Rob, maybe a bit busy with it being the school holidays? .....owt else :D

Ribbleshead ? There's Hawes down the road has little waterfalls apparently.

Another good call but think there's talk of doing that on the 25th April before the night time kiln meet :)

I can't think of anywhere else lol.. Don't think I'll be at that 25th one anyways lol

I can't think of anywhere else lol.. Don't think I'll be at that 25th one anyways lol

That's a shame Rob, its s Saturday ya know, thought you were good fa Saturdays? :)

I've never been to Ribbleshead so I'd be happy to go.

That's a shame Rob, its s Saturday ya know, thought you were good fa Saturdays? :)

I've never been to Ribbleshead so I'd be happy to go.

Oh I didn't know it was a Saturday, might be able to make it then :) just that we are short on my dept atm so might have to do a few evenings shifts instead of the morning to help out.

Shall think about it though

I'm easy about where to go on Thursday, to end up at scammonden for sun set and light trails sounds good but would be good to go somewhere before, are there any good landscape or waterfall opportunities round near scammonden @Phil-D

This is the results of the 2 x 3stop filters and the skylight put together, it gives me about 6 and 2/3rds of a stop. I haven't altered the colour or WB in PP'ing, I'm amazed there's very little, if any, colour cast.

Do think I need a 10stop though, this was shot at the extremes, f32 and I still only got 4 seconds but I'm thinking for sunsets and light trails should be good (y)

Edit- with the 10stop, what aperture were you shooting at to get what length of exposure on Sunday Tim?

7 stop test
by Phil D 245, on Flickr
Between f16 and f22. Will look at exif data when I get home but I think about 6 seconds at Spurn Point and 4 mins at Humber Bridge.

Last edited:
I'm easy about where to go on Thursday, to end up at scammonden for sun set and light trails sounds good but would be good to go somewhere before, are there any good landscape or waterfall opportunities round near scammonden @Phil-D

That's a tough one for me to answer Tim :D I could take you to loads of ressies, Ogden, Kitcliffe, Piethorne and Hanging Lees are four that Run into each other in some good old south Pennine country side, are they scenic? I go that often I don't suppose I appreciate them, but if the weathers good, yes :)

All in the same area is Rakewood Viaduct, carries the M62 down windy hill, impressive if you like bridges :whistle: :D. Baitings, Ryburn, Boothwood are 3 more, on a sunny day Ryburn is a lovely spot. We could easily fill a few hours, it just depends on what we want

Edit- we could always pass an hour at a feeding station I know if you fancy doing some birds for a complete change

Here's a couple I've took

Ryburn

Ryburn Dam
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Another at Ryburn

Giant Steps
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Ogden at Shaw not the Halifax one

DSC_1139
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

There's Wainhouse Tower, looks well at night

Wainhouse tower pp game edit
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

I could go on :D as I say, they're places I go all the time but never get bored of them, just don't think I appreciate them like I should :)

Last edited:
That's a tough one for me to answer Tim :D I could take you to loads of ressies, Ogden, Kitcliffe, Piethorne and Hanging Lees are four that Run into each other in some good old south Pennine country side, are they scenic? I go that often I don't suppose I appreciate them, but if the weathers good, yes :)

All in the same area is Rakewood Viaduct, carries the M62 down windy hill, impressive if you like bridges :whistle: :D. Baitings, Ryburn, Boothwood are 3 more, on a sunny day Ryburn is a lovely spot. We could easily fill a few hours, it just depends on what we want

Edit- we could always pass an hour at a feeding station I know if you fancy doing some birds for a complete change

Here's a couple I've took

Ryburn

Ryburn Dam
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Another at Ryburn

Giant Steps
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Ogden at Shaw not the Halifax one

DSC_1139
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

There's Wainhouse Tower, looks well at night

Wainhouse tower pp game edit
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

I could go on :D as I say, they're places I go all the time but never get bored of them, just don't think I appreciate them like I should :)
Ok phil.... Those places sound good, take us on a tour and finish up at scammonden. Remember we need to arrange scammonden again for rich next week. @Mardybum

Phil. Have looked at my photos from Sunday and with my 8 stop at Spurn Point with f16 I was getting 4 seconds. At Humber Bridge at f16 I got a shutter speed of 120 seconds. Will upload to flickr later. @Phil-D

Ok phil.... Those places sound good, take us on a tour and finish up at scammonden. Remember we need to arrange scammonden again for rich next week. @Mardybum

We can do Scammonden again any time (y) I was wondering though, with sunset being near 8ish, if Rich @Mardybum and Andy @posiview could make it over early evening

Phil. Have looked at my photos from Sunday and with my 8 stop at Spurn Point with f16 I was getting 4 seconds. At Humber Bridge at f16 I got a shutter speed of 120 seconds. Will upload to flickr later. @Phil-D

Cheers Tim, not sure why but thought you were getting longer than 4 seconds at Spurn, so if Rich used same aperture, f16, he must have been getting 16 seconds with the 10stop :thinking: so thats not bad on a bright sunny day :)

We can do Scammonden again any time (y) I was wondering though, with sunset being near 8ish, if Rich @Mardybum and Andy @posiview could make it over early evening
I'm going to go out during the day as well, don't want to miss out on the decent weather. Just let me know a time to meet at scammoden and I will meet you guys there. :-D

Cheers Tim, not sure why but thought you were getting longer than 4 seconds at Spurn, so if Rich used same aperture, f16, he must have been getting 16 seconds with the 10stop :thinking: so thats not bad on a bright sunny day :)
Yea I guess so. I have just got a 10 stop delivered from amazon so looking forward to checking it out on Thursday.

I'm sure I was hitting 90seconds at spurn on f18......? I'll have to check, maybe it was 30 seconds, hmm...

Count me out for Thursday guys, I'll be setting off traveling back from Dundee at 4.30, and my cars only a Renault not an Audi R8 so my chances of getting to scammy for 8 are zero.
Hopefully next time :)

Have a good one chaps.

Indeed. Just had a reply to an email saying that tripods are allowed.

Anyone wants to join me let me know (y)

Cheers.

When you thinking of going Andy, tomorrow or Friday?

@randomwindows Morning Tim, out last night and late in and not even drinking! :rolleyes: You still thinking of coming over for the light trails/ sunset at Scammy?

@randomwindows Morning Tim, out last night and late in and not even drinking! :rolleyes: You still thinking of coming over for the light trails/ sunset at Scammy?
Absolutely. Meeting rob at 11 today. We are going to head out somewhere - not sure where yet but maybe Bolton abbey area or Hebden bridge area, going to have a look online in a bit.

Do you want to meet up with us this afternoon or shall we meet you at scammy this evening for sun set.

Absolutely. Meeting rob at 11 today. We are going to head out somewhere - not sure where yet but maybe Bolton abbey area or Hebden bridge area, going to have a look online in a bit.

Do you want to meet up with us this afternoon or shall we meet you at scammy this evening for sun set.

Tim, if it ok I'll meet you this evening, about 6ish would be good to get into location and have a go with the nd's before full sunset :)

Also, have a look at this link for an old lead mine near keithely, looks very interesting, looks like it would be good for some night stuff

I've remember what you said about being on your phone, google Cononley Lead Mine (y)

@randomwindows If you want to make it earlier this afternoon Tim, maybe 5, we could have a look round Scammy ressi before :)

Looking to get some good photos today. See you about 11 tim I'll wait round weatherspoons as usual

Looking to get some good photos today. See you about 11 tim I'll wait round weatherspoons as usual

Rob, Tim looks to be off line, I need to go to work
3f82d.gif
:D ....You both have my number, give me a text/ring when you want to meet up Scammy this afternoon

Crossed posts again :D

Rob, Tim looks to be off line, I need to go to work
3f82d.gif
:D ....You both have my number, give me a text/ring when you want to meet up Scammy this afternoon

Ok no problem pal have fun at work

Back