More car insurance madness

Well this is an interesting insight into the baffling world of what makes a cheaper car insurance. i did use sheilas wheels for a while and diamond - but i honestly can't remember when my premium started dropping, if it was at 21 or what. i was lucky enough to build up my own no claims from when i first started driving as my parents paid for the insurance........ *spolit child* but its def hovered around the £200 for around the last decade (i had the fiesta for 14 years)

Quite. A moron doing about 50km/h on Austrian motorway (130 limit) and two further slow nutcases tailgating each other nearly ended up in a big crash right before my eyes. That's the danger of slow drivers.

Au contraire - the highlighted part is the the danger. A slow car is no more dangerous than a slow moving lorry and if drivers approaching a slow moving vehicle don't have the brains and forethought to modify their driving plan accordingly then they should be the ones removed from the roads.

Au contraire - the highlighted part is the the danger. A slow car is no more dangerous than a slow moving lorry and if drivers approaching a slow moving vehicle don't have the brains and forethought to modify their driving plan accordingly then they should be the ones removed from the roads.
Unless it's a steep hill or just joining a road, lorries are fairly good at maintaining a speed. What doesn't help is cars, capable of matching that speed at the very least, are driven much slower meaning lorry drivers wanting to overtake. There is no real excuse for people travelling at 40mph or less on a 70mph dual carriageway or motorway, they cause congestion at the very least, if they aren't confident enough to drive at faster speeds they really ought not be using those roads. These people invariably expect to join fast roads at 40mph as well, barging out in front of faster traffic and not increasing their speed there after. Lorries can be seen from a greater distance, we are all aware they are limited to a maximum speed, where as cars are smaller and you would expect them to join at an adequate speed and continue at an adequate speed there after. From personal experience, people who are driving too slow are usually in their own little world and oblivious to the other cars around them and just as likely to perform dangerous manoeuvres at any time.

From personal experience, people who are driving too slow are usually in their own little world and oblivious to the other cars around them and just as likely to perform dangerous manoeuvres at any time.

Possibly, if you've been in the car with a slow driver; but unless you are in the car, you have no idea as to what "little world" the driver's in, do you?

Possibly, if you've been in the car with a slow driver; but unless you are in the car, you have no idea as to what "little world" the driver's in, do you?
When they are driving with blinkers on (things horses wear, not indicators that BMW's lack), not looking in mirrors and they make moves dangerous, both to themselves and others, it's fairly obvious it's not the safe world for other people on the road.

When they are driving with blinkers on (things horses wear, not indicators that BMW's lack), not looking in mirrors and they make moves dangerous, both to themselves and others, it's fairly obvious it's not the safe world for other people on the road.

Strikes me, you spend so much time watching others on the road, you can't be concentrating that much on your own road craft. :D

You need to watch the others to remain safe.

You need to keep an awareness of others.
You need to concentrate on your own.

My biggest drop in insurance occurred was a couple of years ago when I was 52, I saved over £300 by changing from a 6yr old 155PS Mondeo ST TDCi to a 1yr old 250PS Focus ST, figure that one out.

Yeah, that happened to me, swapped a 4 door "family" type Suzuki Swift for a Sport, everything about this car is twice as expensive, twice as fast and twice the trouble of the old one, except the insurance, which went down a hundred quid ???
I mean I'm not complaining or anything but its so backwardly nonsensical, I'm not even gonna attempt to apply any rational to it.

people that generally rant a lot about slow drivers are usually the impatient ones that feel that speeding is a valid reason rather than an offence. one of which when they get caught they cry like babies.

Oh, that's quite possible. But you haven't explained how declaring these two offences caused the premium on my wife's car to go DOWN.

Get a grip your wifes has gone down because it was also your fault!!:D Its our lot in life, and they say its a mans world...........well it would be nothing, nothing, without a ...........

people that generally rant a lot about slow drivers are usually the impatient ones that feel that speeding is a valid reason rather than an offence. one of which when they get caught they cry like babies.
Or perhaps we'd just like to be able to drive at 70mph on a 70mph road, but can't because a lorry is overtaking some t*** who won't at least drive as fast as lorries, or has difficulty leaving slip roads onto motorways / dual carriageways because some t*** won't make an attempt to join at a suitable speed.

Who commited the offences her or you?

Or perhaps we'd just like to be able to drive at 70mph on a 70mph road, but can't because a lorry is overtaking some t*** who won't at least drive as fast as lorries, or has difficulty leaving slip roads onto motorways / dual carriageways because some t*** won't make an attempt to join at a suitable speed.

the roads are for all people and not just you, personally i consider in good weather with clear vision that 60mph on a motway is a good speed to be cruising along with a slight increase to maybe clear lorries and slower vehicles.

Unless it's a steep hill or just joining a road, lorries are fairly good at maintaining a speed. What doesn't help is cars, capable of matching that speed at the very least, are driven much slower meaning lorry drivers wanting to overtake. There is no real excuse for people travelling at 40mph or less on a 70mph dual carriageway or motorway, they cause congestion at the very least, if they aren't confident enough to drive at faster speeds they really ought not be using those roads. These people invariably expect to join fast roads at 40mph as well, barging out in front of faster traffic and not increasing their speed there after. Lorries can be seen from a greater distance, we are all aware they are limited to a maximum speed, where as cars are smaller and you would expect them to join at an adequate speed and continue at an adequate speed there after. From personal experience, people who are driving too slow are usually in their own little world and oblivious to the other cars around them and just as likely to perform dangerous manoeuvres at any time.

But they don't need an excuse - they are driving within the law and (provided they have paid their dues) have as much right to be there as anyone else. There is similarly no excuse for drivers that travel at speeds over the limit but millions do that every day and (dues paid or not) they have no right to do that. Personally, I'm on the side of the one that abides by the speed limit :)

I understand where you're coming from just don't agree with your arguement, sorry :)

Not that i agree with speeding bullying motorists @Bristolian but there is a certain point on a 70mph road or motorway when travelling so far below the speed limit is a danger also and i think it's possible to be fined for this, but i dont know what that speed is. i dont watch a lot of UK motorway patrol type shows, but i do watch a NZ one (cos i am obsessed) and they've fined and/or asked motorists to leave the motorway if their slow driving is causing a hazard to other drives. it all of course depends on the road and if other drivers are able to over take etc - i think someone doing 40mph on a single lane 70mph road would probably cause an issue if it was a busy road and could be considered a hazard. Mostly, the speed limit and the speed you actually go should be dependent on the road, other users, weather conditions, etc so i dont think there's any hard and fast rule. I was driving at night on a 70mph country road earlier in the week and was doing 40-50mph and slower if the road was bendy, im sure others behind me who knew the road wanted to go faster but i felt it would be hazardous for me to drive any faster given all the factors.

i also hate modern headlights that are so bright its like someone driving with their lights on full beam toward you or behind you (n)

I've been saying this for years. If a lorry has to overtake you on a motorway/dual carriage way, you really need to consider a) should you be driving on those road and b) consider giving your licence back. There is absolutely no reason why every motorist cannot (at least) match the speed of a lorry*

*assuming conditions allow etc.

Reactions: BBR
Things would also be improved on motorways be people not lane hogging and driving on the inside lane as much as possible. i shouldnt be able to pass someone in the middle lane while i am in the inside lane at 60/70 (in fact i shouldnt, so i have to then go around them, over take them in the fast lane, where there are often people speeding past, in order to over take them in the middle lane and then go back to the inside lane where i am comfortably driving at the speed limit)

It's all based on claims history. When Gary Hart caused 10 deaths when he drove on to a rail track, his insurance company had to pay out many millions. The potential cost of accidents involving trains is extremely high.
When I swapped my Nissan XTrail for a much slower Mitsubishi Shogun, my premium doubled. When I queried this I was told that the Shogun has a bad claims history, and as every insurance Company came up with a similar quote I've just had to accept that.
It's big, slow, weights 2 tons and is not the sort of vehicle that I would have expected to attract irresponsible drivers, but that applies to the Land Rover Disco too, and the premiums for those are very low... And our 7 1/2 ton horsebox premium is unbelievably cheap, it could be argued that the risk of accidents when transporting horses is extremely low (because horses have to be transported very gently) but there's no actual requirement to have horses in it...

Just had our renewal through for our 120d and they had added 100 on top of last years quote which was already high after a small rear-end accident the year before(620 upto 720). I called to see why it was so high and they offered to remove 95. So still 5 up from last .Funnily enough with admiral if i removed the wife it would have dropped to 509. Online was getting quotes from the 620 right down to 485 and removing the wife on any other put the price up around 100 to 150.... how can there be such a variance for exactly the same quote and for who is added.. looks like we might be moving insurers again.

My wife and I have a multi-car insurance policy from Admiral. One car each, both named drivers on each other's cars, both covered for all uses on both cars, everything symmetrical.

We got our renewal notice though but we noticed that there is now a requirement to declare any driver awareness courses, which hadn't been there previously. We both had to do one of these a couple of years ago, me for an alleged level crossing offence and my wife for an alleged speeding offence, so I rang Admiral to notify them.

The outcome? The premium on my car has gone up, and the premium on my wife's car has gone down.

Can anyone explain how that makes any kind of sense whatsoever?

My assumption is....

They literally make it up as they go along, pluck numbers out of the air.

I wanted to add myself to my other halfs policy for the day, just so we would be covered if I needed to drive on a day trip to France.

£48,

She only pays £350 a year and I pay a similar amount on mine.

Needless to say we didn't bother.

Back