More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

Words just aren’t enough :tumbleweed:
raised a smile though you nutter :wacky:
Have to say this has definitely brightened my day...
... in a very weird sort of way :wacky:
I feel Tim is missing his models, I know I am! great fun idea keep us smiling.
Now that's rather scary!

Nicely done though Tim and it gave me a good laugh.
@Allan.H @HelenC @Cloudforest - Hehe. Cheering everyone up was the aim :)
@CliveH - I so am missing my models. Thing is, a good number of them are actually friends these days, not just random cosplayers (obviously some are people I don't know).

Hi Tim,

That's a lovely shot for time. Works great in mono. Excellent detail and texture. The little train looks great using Affinity too.
Good fun shot for your snappers choice. Perfect backdrop for the Zombies (I bet you have a never ending catalogue of those!).
Tank Girl made me smile which is just what we all need right about now :) Although, having read a couple of comic strips with her in, you look a little too well behaved though :D

Thanks Lee,
The train at Medstead was a decent shot imo and Affinity definitely seems to be the way to go for stacking.
Oddly, I don't have that many more zombie shots (at least not single ones I can easily cut out. I did think the demolition of Sampson House made a good background for them.
Tank girl was a more or less SFW version.
Would you have preferred this one? (It would involve more shaving :eek: )
12385324773_2315fd86de_z.jpg

(Image linked from http://www.tank-girl.com/)

Bright a grin here! I can hardly believe in saying this, but thanks, and keep them coming - humour and light heartedness is all good!

Would you have preferred this one? (It would involve more shaving :eek: )
Are you trying to get us shut down ? :p

Hi Tim, it's a quick catch-up from me as I am so far behind with commenting, and your Transport image leapt off the screen; what a great head-on angle you found there! 'The Hunger Games' is a great idea for the book title theme and taken from the right angle to show the expanse of empty shelves. The discussion regarding focus stacking was interesting as I still haven't tried that, and your recent sequence of selfies for your initial were... ummm, well I'm not sure I quite have the words! Definitely fun but also well done on getting the focus spot on while tripod-mounted. We'll count ourselves lucky you didn't try the NSFW version! :p

Week 17 - More than 1

I managed to find a cosplayer willing to shoot during the lockdown.
Meerkat Luke Skywalker.

More than 1... Light :)

TP 52 for 2020 : Week 17 - More Than 1
by Tim White, on Flickr

Cool gelled flash on camera left (Light Saber is blue). Warm gelled light on camera right.
Flashes bare, except for the gels, and laid on their sides rather than oriented normally, to give a mini strip light effect. The catch light is vertical :)
TTL used to balance the flash as I was running behind schedule and it doesn't do a bad job.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen star wars, probably not a surprise. He looks very heroic though and I do like the lighting it’s subtle and no blown out bits. So I suppose mission accomplished.

I’ve never seen star wars, probably not a surprise. He looks very heroic though and I do like the lighting it’s subtle and no blown out bits. So I suppose mission accomplished.
That is a little surprising, considering A New Hope has been around since 1977 and I'm sure it has been on terrestrial telly.
Though, this look is from a latter film.

I was aiming for subtle lighting. Each light by itself was actually quite strongly tinted, but mixed thogether they balanced each other out to a fair extent.
I did try other lighting angles, reflectors, distances etc. But this was my favourite I think.

I managed to find a cosplayer willing to shoot during the lockdown.
Meerkat Luke Skywalker.
Phew I'm relieved :D
Nicely lit Tim. The force was with you on that :D

Nice bit of lighting Tim. I'm another that's never seen any of the Star wars films.

I thought that you were going for a shoehorn "More than Obi-wan..."

Sorry couldn't resist :giggle:
That's a different Insurance company though ;)

Great creativity with a couple of speed lights (?)

Lighting is definitely something I want to learn.
Lighting seems scary until you realise it isn't (at least, basic lighting isn't).
A couple of lights (Godox are cheap) and a trigger. A couple of modifiers (Interfit are cheap) and stands. Some gels.
In this case, the flashes were bare (except for the gels), because they were so close and the stands were actually books and dvd cases!
@Garry Edwards, who is prolific in the lighting section, is a wiz at lighting and has produced a number of excellent resources.
Dan Norton and Seth Miranda on Adorama / youtube are also worth a watch (this was inspired by a recent Dan video).

Nice bit of lighting Tim. I'm another that's never seen any of the Star wars films.
Blimey. It really does surprise me given how long it's been around for and that it has been on normal telly (iirc).
That said, I've never watch A Clockwork Orange, so...

That's a different Insurance company though ;)

Lighting seems scary until you realise it isn't (at least, basic lighting isn't).
A couple of lights (Godox are cheap) and a trigger. A couple of modifiers (Interfit are cheap) and stands. Some gels.
In this case, the flashes were bare (except for the gels), because they were so close and the stands were actually books and dvd cases!
@Garry Edwards, who is prolific in the lighting section, is a wiz at lighting and has produced a number of excellent resources.
Dan Norton and Seth Miranda on Adorama / youtube are also worth a watch (this was inspired by a recent Dan video).

Blimey. It really does surprise me given how long it's been around for and that it has been on normal telly (iirc).
That said, I've never watch A Clockwork Orange, so...
Thanks for the undeserved mention:)

A lot of people are scared of lighting, but it's the one real factor that separates the wheat from the chaff, and it's the thing over which we have the greatest control.
Any form of light can be manipulated to suit. With daylight, we can usually position the subject to get the best lighting direction and we can always do so with artificial lighting, whether it's a table lamp, a torch, a flashgun or a full studio lighting setup. When we use light creatively we make the photo worth looking at, and creative lighting often involves lighting more from the back than from the front.

If anyone's interested, I've posted some "Lockdown lighting projects" in the lighting forum that anyone can take on, and I've also written a book on lighting. Right now, anyone who wants a free copy only has to ask https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/free-lighting-e-book.689037/

Thanks for the undeserved mention:)

A lot of people are scared of lighting, but it's the one real factor that separates the wheat from the chaff, and it's the thing over which we have the greatest control.
Any form of light can be manipulated to suit. With daylight, we can usually position the subject to get the best lighting direction and we can always do so with artificial lighting, whether it's a table lamp, a torch, a flashgun or a full studio lighting setup. When we use light creatively we make the photo worth looking at, and creative lighting often involves lighting more from the back than from the front.

If anyone's interested, I've posted some "Lockdown lighting projects" in the lighting forum that anyone can take on, and I've also written a book on lighting. Right now, anyone who wants a free copy only has to ask https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/free-lighting-e-book.689037/
@Shugpug ^ This ^ :)

That said, I've never watch A Clockwork Orange,
You didn't really miss much a typical 70's violent film ;)

Maybe, but referenced sufficiently that it feels like it should be watched at least once.
Well as / if you have time on your hands at the moment, nothing ventured nothing gained as they say (y)

(Am I the only one that has never bothered to watch GoT? )

Nice flash tutorial :)

This forms part of my mixed light sources "what is white?" section when I'm teaching stuff - moreso for video.

Nice flash tutorial :)

This forms part of my mixed light sources "what is white?" section when I'm teaching stuff - moreso for video.
Garry's stuff is great isn't it :) (Or did you mean my fixing of lights?)
Nice shot for more than one Tim. Great lighting. Subtle and very effective.
Cheers Lee. The sum of the lights was greater than either individually.
@LC2 thanks for the signpost! And @Garry Edwards book received with thanks - I shall dig in to it this weekend.
:)

What an interesting character.
The Cig hanging out is a nice touch too.

Bobba Slash is spot on lol :)

Well that’s interesting didn’t notice the frame at first and now I have I don’t like it :LOL:
nothing wrong with the photo as such but not sure about him :muted: :muted:
you must be missing it though :sulk:

Back