More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

I love the old steam engine and its good that you get so close to the action. I like the low viewpoint and the puff of smoke/steam.
Colourful- Stunning Composition.

Old- Super shot. Nicely processed.
Great shot. So dramatic. The black and white shot suits is so perfectly.
Cheers everyone :)
Lovely black and white rendition that fits the theme. You've positioned yourself perfectly to capture all the elements for a lovely composition. I like his head popping out too!
He's scrounged a copy of the shot for his facebook.

So, it's an old photo, of an old train.
Well you seem to have the theme covered there then and the technique too.

Good sharp image, with a bit of steam too.

Great image for old.. very sharp and a lovely tonal range throughout.

So, it's an old photo, of an old train.
Well you seem to have the theme covered there then and the technique too.

Good sharp image, with a bit of steam too.
Great image for old.. very sharp and a lovely tonal range throughout.
Lovely shot for something old Tim. Lovely loco and excellent processing with lots of lovely contrast.

That's a very nice shot Tim and looks great in black and white.
Well, it's not too bad considering I was using the back-up camera. But it does fit the theme and technique.
It did need some editing selectively in areas to bring out the shadows without adding too much noise everywhere.

Last edited:
Great shot for old, the B&W looks great in the image. :)

Colourful, it is! Nice range of colours and they show up well against the dark background, not sure that they will all match your complexion.
Old, nicely processed and a nice composition, I really must get back to the Watercress when all this is over.

Great shot for old, the B&W looks great in the image. :)
Colourful, it is! Nice range of colours and they show up well against the dark background, not sure that they will all match your complexion.
Old, nicely processed and a nice composition, I really must get back to the Watercress when all this is over.
Lovely shot - the composition really works.
Clive, they do match my complexion. If you make it down to the Watercress when I'm working down there, I can show you :)

Week 21 - Liquid

Inside the abandoned sewage tanks at Feltham UDC Sewage Works.
These date from the 1920s to the 1950s and are situated just south of the old Feltham Marshalling Yards.
Interestingly, Pokemon go has them listed as railway turntables.

TP 52 for 2020 - Week 21 Liquid : Urban Art - Feltham UDC Sewage Works
by Tim White, on Flickr

Taken with my phone camera. There is a little flare that I could not avoid due to the angle of the sun and lack of any lens hoods.
I doubt that the art would still be there if I had waited to go back with a better camera.

Last edited:
A horn of shoe for sure - but an interesting shot nonetheless :)

Nice bit of urban art even if the liquid connection is a bit tenuous.

I could save "tenuous is my middle name", but won't as that might prompt @Cobra to edit my profile
Hmmmm TTW has a certain ring to it don't you think? :D

Great graffiti Tim. Even I'd be proud of the link (even if its a bit s*** :D ) (y)

Nice shoe horn there - wondered what on earth the connection was :) Some great artwork though!

I do like a bit of graffiti, good shoehorn can’t argue with the logic, I’m not sure you should be using Pokemon go as any kind of reference material

Hmmmm TTW has a certain ring to it don't you think? :D

Great graffiti Tim. Even I'd be proud of the link (even if its a bit s*** :D ) (y)
It was an inspired shoe horn wasn't it :)
Nice shoe horn there - wondered what on earth the connection was :) Some great artwork though!
Out of the box (well out of the bog really) thinking ;)
I do like a bit of graffiti, good shoehorn can’t argue with the logic, I’m not sure you should be using Pokemon go as any kind of reference material
@minx was doing some pokémon go thing and mentioned that's what pokémon called the poké stop.
It just looked totally wrong to me (you wouldn't have 4 turntables next to each other) and they were 120' Dia (turntables generally max out at 72').
Nice shot! Urban "art"? Well....
But paint is liquid, before it dries anyway!!
I guess aerosol is liquid suspended in air rather than gaseous. But that's not the liquid I was thinking about ;)
I do think that good graffiti can and should be considered art. This isn't simply tagging, effort has been put into it and it does brighten up drab concrete.
It's evident that this area is left for the artists to work.

Last edited:
Nice bit of Urban Art. Didn't know that Feltham had marshalling yards.
1918-1969, I believe it was the largest in London. The associated shed was 70B (sub to Nine Elms).
Just under half was sold to the Royal Mail and is a distribution centre.
The other half is being rebuilt as storage and servicing for the next set of EMUs that SWR are introducing.

Fine shoehornary going on there.
Good vibrant graffiti. You could have cropped it, to be more of a letter box crop. That way you would have lost some of the flare.

I've come back to this s few times before commenting - I love the vibrancy of the colours - what a shame or would likely have been altered / "improved" before you could have got there with different tools. The flare doesn't bother me at all, and there's something really compelling about it which I can't quite out my finger on. I like it but I'm not sure sure why!

Great take on the theme Tim love the vibrant colours I always look for this sort of thing as I like photographing it trouble is most of the time other people have usually sprayed obscenities over the top of it!

Fine shoehornary going on there.
Good vibrant graffiti. You could have cropped it, to be more of a letter box crop. That way you would have lost some of the flare.
I did look at different crops (it ended up 16:9), but I wanted to keep some context.
I've come back to this s few times before commenting - I love the vibrancy of the colours - what a shame or would likely have been altered / "improved" before you could have got there with different tools. The flare doesn't bother me at all, and there's something really compelling about it which I can't quite out my finger on. I like it but I'm not sure sure why!
That's the thing with urban art, it is constantly changing. There was a chap there prepping a new 'canvas' while we were taking some shots.
A wall I had taken a couple of weeks ago (close by, but not the same

Urban Art
by Tim White, on Flickr
Had completely been re-done when we passed it on the way to the week 21 shot.
Great take on the theme Tim love the vibrant colours I always look for this sort of thing as I like photographing it trouble is most of the time other people have usually sprayed obscenities over the top of it!
Yes, you do get additions fairly quickly. Though there seemed to be quite a bit of reasonable work at this location, with not too much tagging.
This is out of the way (you would have to know about it and it's a trek to it) so perhaps is more of an area for the artists rather than taggers.

Tenuous? Tanks and sewage are liquid connected. Plus I'm a sucker for Graffiti. Nice clear shot.

Just catching up!!

Colourful - Personally thinks it seems more muted but maybe its my eyes!!
Would be interested to see an non stacked image for comparison, I'm an Affinity user though not made use of any of stacking yet.

Something Old - Great tonal range, not sure if it would benefit from being taken a fraction of a second later to prevent the tree from protruding out the top. Like the way the branches at the side keep your attention towards the centre.
Did you crop to align the rail in the bottom corner?

Liquid - Not you normal palette used by graffiti artists!
Its always difficult commenting on a photograph of any type of art, as its difficult to enhance it more than already exists.

Yes a good old shoehorn.
:)
A very good tenuous link, some well executed graffiti that you have captured well.
Shame about the flare though.
Tenuous? Tanks and sewage are liquid connected. Plus I'm a sucker for Graffiti. Nice clear shot.
That was my thought process too :)
Just catching up!!

Colourful - Personally thinks it seems more muted but maybe its my eyes!!
Would be interested to see an non stacked image for comparison, I'm an Affinity user though not made use of any of stacking yet.

Something Old - Great tonal range, not sure if it would benefit from being taken a fraction of a second later to prevent the tree from protruding out the top. Like the way the branches at the side keep your attention towards the centre.
Did you crop to align the rail in the bottom corner?

Liquid - Not you normal palette used by graffiti artists!
Its always difficult commenting on a photograph of any type of art, as its difficult to enhance it more than already exists.
Colourful - I'm afraid I didn't keep the originals once I had created a stack that I liked (probably had around 100 shots from a number of runs, no point keeping them all really.
Old - A little bit of straightening, but I had the rails lined up like that straight out of camera. Just after that shot would actually have been worse (you get the trunk of the tree), it would have needed to have been about 1 1/2 seconds later to lose the tree, and that changes the look of the image.
Liquid - I know what you mean about taking photos of artwork. It's not my best work, but it fitted the theme.

Week 23 : Hidden (Away)

@minx Geocaching at the end of a 750yds tunnel under the Feltham Marshalling Yards.
You have to enter from the far end, with torches, working your way through the length of the tunnel to get to the portal where the geocache is located.
Salubrious is not a term I would use.

Okay, it is an archive (by 4 days) but I don't see us going back there for a while.
Here's some more info:
https://www.artofthestate.co.uk/archive/rail/feltham_cavalry_tunnel_40_acres_tunnel/

Tp 52 for 2020 - Week 23 : Hidden (away)
by Tim White, on Flickr

Well that was quick, I was just going to see what this weeks theme was! You have found an interesting place there Tim, and they say every picture tells a story!

How quick??

Great take on the theme I like the open door it pulls you into the picture.

Well that was quick, I was just going to see what this weeks theme was! You have found an interesting place there Tim, and they say every picture tells a story!
How quick??

Great take on the theme I like the open door it pulls you into the picture.
It's not like me to get the first post in. I think this is the first time ever.
it just worked really well with having been down there on Monday. (We actually tried to find the entrance from the other side the week before, but it wasn't accessible).
It was handy that the door had been opened. It helps shed some light, otherwise it's pitch black under there.
@CliveH the other end of the tunnel is well used, I believe it's part of the London Loop. it allows you to pass under the SWR main llineand follow the River Crane. The part we had to go down is far less inviting. You do need to carefully pick your way through the detritus.

Well as others have said. This weeks prize for being first out the starting box goes to ....
:D

Nice colourful image Tim (y)

for being so quick!
Very colourful and slightly spooky looking spot... and what was going on behind the door? :oops: :$ The plot thickens...

bang on theme for hidden, but why is there so much light in the tunnel?

Back