Morgan - and then she looked up (xtra pic)

All lovely, but got to agree that #4 leaps out.
Excellent eye contact.
She's gonna break some hearts that one....

Last edited:
For me, #2 is tops. It touchingly conveys an attractive demure reserve in the little girl. A beautifully lit, sensitively & delicately posed portrait. Excellent.

These are beautiful Beth, and yes I can't believe she's not even 8. I particularly like no2. Client should be made up with these :)

Can't resist #2!
A head and shoulder frame of #3 would be my second pick.

Last edited:
I love two to just above the elbows.. not keen on the hands.
but all of them are fine shots.

Absolutely charming shots, with #2 the stand out shot for me too, closely followed by #4. Not a crit, just curious, why did you not include her feet in #3, especially as you have the wooden floor showing? Thanks for putting the background straight in #2 [emoji4]

Thanks for your comments and feedback everyone, apologies for my late responses.

Lovely set. #4 is the best for me.
Thank you Naka. Much appreciated. I have to admit, mine too! :)

cracking as always
Thanks Peter.

All lovely, but got to agree that #4 leaps out.
Excellent eye contact.
She's gonna break some hearts that one....
Thanks Paul. I agree, she sure is. She is such a natural beauty... but then again, most kids are. :)

These are awesome. Real high class stuff.
Duuuuude... thanks. I appreciate that. :)

Lovely as ever but the last one is particularly beautiful
Thanks Ian ... I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

For me, #2 is tops. It touchingly conveys an attractive demure reserve in the little girl. A beautifully lit, sensitively & delicately posed portrait. Excellent.
Thanks Duncan. That shot was taken in her 'down time'... I told her she could relax a minute... and she just looked down. I had already had her positioned and posed looking directly at me so when she looked down, it just took it to a whole new dimension.

love them. I really like this sort of fine art portraiture. Well done!
Thanks Nick. It's a style I've been working on for some time, don't always get it right, but I think I got pretty close here. :)

The lighting is spot on and the emotion is captured perfectly. Amazing!
Thank you George. I appreciate you comments.

These are beautiful Beth, and yes I can't believe she's not even 8. I particularly like no2. Client should be made up with these :)
Cheers Dan. Their mum hadn't had photos in years, so she was pretty pleased with these. Pretty happy with her brother's pics too...

Loving 2 & 4. Which is unusual for me as I'm normally all about the eye contact!
Thanks Shaheed. :)

The last one is simply beautiful Beth.
Thanks Kris. I appreciate your feedback. :)

Can't resist #2!
A head and shoulder frame of #3 would be my second pick.
Thanks Kodiak. I quite like the flow of her dress in 3 and cropping it loses that. But I'll have a look and see what it looks like. :)

I love two to just above the elbows.. not keen on the hands.
but all of them are fine shots.
Thanks Terry. You could be right there... she was a bit clumsy with her hands to be fair... found it hard to get them to look 'delicate'. I'll have a look at the crop. Cheers. :)

Absolutely charming shots, with #2 the stand out shot for me too, closely followed by #4. Not a crit, just curious, why did you not include her feet in #3, especially as you have the wooden floor showing? Thanks for putting the background straight in #2 [emoji4]
Thanks Ian. I didn't include her feet because as she was spinning, her feet were at a really awkward angle to one another. I normally don't crop between the knees and ankles and my wee bit of OCD was doing summersaults and kicking up a storm, but I preferred the crop to funny looking feet.

3 & 4 are lovely, great job.

Beautifully lit and blessed with a great subject
Thanks Stephen. I appreciate your feedback. :)

Thanks everyone for your kind words and feedback and constructive crit. It's always appreciated.

.... I didn't include her feet because as she was spinning, her feet were at a really awkward angle to one another. I normally don't crop between the knees and ankles and my wee bit of OCD was doing summersaults and kicking up a storm, but I preferred the crop to funny.

Thanks Beth, thought there would be a good reason.

Superb shots Bethy... #2 is the pick for me it works as deepful thought but you can also see that the eyes positioning is also a cheeky what the hell type of look.

:D

Not just close; nailed it. Do parents go for serious, non-smiley images?
You'd be surprised... they actually do... But I always make sure they've got lots of smiley ones too... These types of shots are the exceptions to the normal stuff I would present to them.

You'd be surprised... they actually do... But I always make sure they've got lots of smiley ones too... These types of shots are the exceptions to the normal stuff I would present to them.

I have hopes that folk are getting more photo-literate these days. Perhaps the sheer number of images people see is making them more critical rather than more accepting of trash?

I have hopes that folk are getting more photo-literate these days. Perhaps the sheer number of images people see is making them more critical rather than more accepting of trash?
One person's trash is another person's treasure... depends on the colour of the glasses they're wearing. :)

We all know that parents tend to wear rose coloured glasses when it comes to pictures of their kids... we're all seen a lot of images and we scratch our heads and wonder.. I do it with a lot of my old images that I took in the beginning, and people really liked them. And they pop up on facebook '5 years ago'... and the parents are still over the moon, and I'm like 'what the blinkin 'eck was I thinking????' lol!

Lovely set of photos. Number 2 is my fav. Aspiring work for a newbie (i.e. me!)

As a '1 photographer parent' family, one of my favourite shots of my daughter is a sad looking one entitled 'disconsolate'. I absolutely love it. My wife who is not a tog thinks it's 'orrible. I think photographers appreciate shots like these more so than the families involved. A lot of them just don't get it.

The last shot is sweet Beth. Again, you've raised the bar in your work levels imo.

You need a new signature now...

Beth 'Fine Art' Botterill | picturemaker

:p

As a '1 photographer parent' family, one of my favourite shots of my daughter is a sad looking one entitled 'disconsolate'. I absolutely love it. My wife who is not a tog thinks it's 'orrible. I think photographers appreciate shots like these more so than the families involved. A lot of them just don't get it.

The last shot is sweet Beth. Again, you've raised the bar in your work levels imo.

You need a new signature now...

Beth 'Fine Art' Botterill | picturemaker

:p
Thanks David... you could well be right, but people are slowly coming around to it. 'Mum' loved this photo... she said in her own words 'that's exactly her face!'... which makes me happy to hear. Been thinking about these pictures on the back of what @juggler Simon said above about people liking these types of photos and realized that I'm probably doing these photos more for me as this is what I like... but people are still emailing me and asking to book in on the back of these styles so makes me think that people ARE coming round to these types of images.

Thanks again for the compliment David... I really do appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
People are definitely coming around to it... even my wife liked some of the moody shots I took of the girls which is a miracle. Though my lil Darcie is becoming quite a good poser so need to take advantage of this brief moment in time.

It is without doubt a joy to see such wonderful and thoughtful photographs.

It really does encapsulate what this site is all about.

Photographers posting photographs like these enabling the rest of use to aspire to something more.

Many thanks.

Back