Moskiman's 52 for 2011 - Week 6, Clutter

Hi Mark,

For an uninspiring week, there's not much wrong with this at all. The building is nicely exposed, beautiful blue sky (I haven't seen anything of that for months!) and I like the way the dark foreground draws your attention to the building. The vignette that you've added works well too.

It's a little tight on the RHS, I would have preferred for the edge of the roof and the blue sign not to have been clipped, but that certainly doesn't detract from it at all.

Artistically, there may have been some more interesting and exciting angles to have shot this from, but the simple straight forward presentation works well in its own way too. This is something that I could see in an advertising brochure for the hotel.

Looking forward to what you do when you get a theme that does inspire you.

Thanks Sarah :)

I agree entirely with regard to potential angles but basically I screwed up on the day - I'm also trying a separate 365 for the first time this year, but with the added constraint of only using a nifty fifty for every shot, when I went out to shoot the hotel Sunday morning I still had the nifty on the body - and nothing else with me :bonk:

Hi Mark, a nicely exposed shot which gives a good clear view of the building. Right on target for the theme of "accommodation". Really like the sky.

How did you do the vignette. Is that in camera or PP?

Sarah's right - it would make a great publicity pic for the hotel:)

Looking forward to your week 2

I hadn't realised that you were doing a 365 too . . . you must be a glutton for punishment ;)
No need to apologise for including it twice and it looks like a great New Year's resolution to me. I like what you've done with the darkness and spotlight effect, however it's just a little too dark for me. I'd like to see it just a touch brighter.

EDIT : And while I was typing you posted style too.
:clap: I love this. Great pose, great styling, great expression and very well executed. But it's the red light that makes it for me. You've managed to control it well, it's almost verging on being a bit too bright on his face but you've kept it just on the right side of being over the top while maintaining the intensity.
The only other thing I'd say to watch out for is your framing, it's a little tight on the LHS and just clipping his left elbow.

Last edited:
great shot red is just right and the pose is fab

Another shot involving my trusty assistant (and 9yr old son) Thomas. Tweaking the "Open" theme slighty, I was trying to capture the mood of Tom opening a treasure chest and seeing what lies within! The speedlite was inside the box firing upwards into the subject, with a yellow gel added for effect.

I was trying to achieve something of a "golden" glow, despite tweaking a little in Lightroom I don't feel like I've got it right, I may have to play around with it some more. Overall though I'm kind of happy with it, I'm still very new to off-camera flash so it's all good learning for me :)

26/365 4/52 Open The Box, Take The Treasure Within by Moskiman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mark,

I like this shot a lot. I think you have the colour right and also the light on Thomas is good also. For me what is missing, is where you have the silhouette/outline of the box, there needs to be more light spill from there to emphasise the glow emanating from the box (if that makes sense:thinking:)

Also there is something at the foot of the photo, can't really see what it is on my work monitor, reflection? but think that could be cloned out.

Great idea and to be honest, far better than I could probably achieve.

Thanks for the comments Ray - useful feedback is what I crave :D You're right, there's a fair bit of reflection coming back from the surface of the table, initially I was quite happy to leave in but I get your thinking in terms of cloning out.

Getting more light spill from the box - good idea although I don't know how to execute this. Suggestions would be excellent!

This is a really creative idea and your model is perfect - i think he should be an actor/model when he is older, he's a natural :) The lighting works well and really gives the idea of sparkling treasure, i really like this shot (y)

I absolutely love the last two shots. The style one is a great composition, and pose by the model (your son?). It's made me grin, so job done! If I was to be critical, I'd say you'd need (and bear in mind I've never used flashes, so I could be way off here), either a reflector at the lower left of the shot, or a flash with an umbrella? (really not sure as I have no experience at all in this area, but a bit of soft fill light is what I mean).

As for your third, I think that's just great! It reminds me of late 40s/early 50s adverts in America (that I've seen, I'm not American, or that old; although I feel it!). Lovely warm photo, great composition and really simple looking (although I have no doubt you spent ages getting it right!).

Ace job mate!

Good shot (y) you achieved what you set out to do well done ;)

Your 4th week is cool! I agree with cloning out the bottom of the shot of reflection and trying to get a very small light over the chest to see what it is. The gel colour, the amount lit, positioning of your son in the frame and clarity are all done well!

Congrats

Lots of ideas this week, but in truth I had relatively little time to execute anything (although I still have one idea that I'd really like to go back and reshoot).

Hardwood may be a touch tenuous in terms of the theme, but I was struck by the sight of this chopped up tree in the grounds of a hotel on Rutland Water. While the main part was still standing they'd lopped off a couple of the biggest branches (victim to the gales perhaps).

I like shots with a good amount of texture to them, so this will have to do for now ;)

37/365 and 5/52 Hardwood by Moskiman, on Flickr

Nice shot and composition, I really like the detail in the wood grain on the trunk. Very nice,

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

I agree, the composition is great and its nice that you can see alot of detail in the wood. Its an interesting shot, i like it (y)

Interesting take on the theme and if you look at some of my takes on themes you'll see equally tenuous ones, I prefer to call it subtlety!

Nice composition on the tree trunk, love the grain coming through in the freshly chopped part too. Well done.

Back