Most Common film cameras out and about...

Edit My Images
No
What are the most common film cameras you actually see day to day?

I ask after seeing yet another Nikon F3 - I've seen countless numbers of them over the last few months, many of them with compact manual 50mm lenses. I saw someone recently with an Olympus 35SP as well in London (wondered if it might be a TP member).

Nikon F3's common as muck, just like the folk that use them :whistle:

I don't see many out and about. In fact I can think of only a handful, and 2 of those were TP Members! Rob with his MF Monster and Frank with his OM2!

Otherwise I've also seen 2 OM2s, a Canon rangefinder and a Diana.

A film camera is a rare sight but did see a young girl using a film SLR in W2 London last week...but just couldn't see the make.

I've seen a fair few Pentax Spotmatics and ME/MXs, a couple of Canon AV-1s
Also surprisingly a lot of Leicas

Quite a few Canon Axx series cameras, as above, I've seen quite a few Leicas too. Lots of largely anonymous silver SLRs though, probably FMs/FEs the aforementioned Canons, and Pentaxes. I've only seen one person shooting with a Rolleiflex and that was during a protest!

Last edited:
Ive yet to bump Into somebody carrying a medium format camera funnily enough

I never see any Nikon F stuff around. Seen Holgas and loads of Diana's around shoreditch ways.

Funny that, now that I think about it I haven't actually seen many Lomo cameras whenever I've been in Shoreditch... odd.

Lloyd, what protest was that? I've also seen quite a few of the Canon cameras, they sold millions of the damn things...

The NUS protests in November, I also saw a Bessa with a Leica 50mm Elmar, a Mamiya 7, and a guy using an M9 + 50mm Noctilux. Not digital I know, but it's a very odd combo for PJ work. I grabbed a (very bad) shot of the Rolleiflex shooter as well since it made me smile since everyone (including myself) was using DSLRs and compacts.

The NUS protests in November, I also saw a Bessa with a Leica 50mm Elmar, a Mamiya 7, and a guy using an M9 + 50mm Noctilux. Not digital I know, but it's a very odd combo for PJ work. I grabbed a (very bad) shot of the Rolleiflex shooter as well since it made me smile since everyone (including myself) was using DSLRs and compacts.

Ahh, wasn't me then, I'm safe for a bit longer! Those big events get absolutely swarms of cameras so a certain amount are bound to be weird and wonderful... I agree though, a Noctilux is a very odd choice but I'm sure they wanted to justify their purchase.

I did see someone shooting a film M on the Strand, he saw my Rolleiflex and a polite nod went both ways (y)

Stopped and chatted to a guy down here the other week shooting an F2.

Was a pleasant change to come across someone shooting film.

Previous sighting was back in the summer which was also someone with a black bodied slr.

I'm sure there are plenty more filmies but where they hang out is a mystery to me!

***I'm sure there are plenty more filmies but where they hang out is a mystery to me!***

Forums? :)

Use a film camera and get dirty looks like this:-
ozeck70-25021000px.jpg

ozeck70-25031000px.jpg

Last edited:
***I'm sure there are plenty more filmies but where they hang out is a mystery to me!***

Forums ?

Quite possibly Brian ....My comment referred more to rarely seeing anyone out and about shooting film.

Atm I'm not a member of any french forums, something i could do to do something about..........tbh I spend more than enough of my spare time on TP ( thoroughly enjoy it though!)

Quite possibly Brian ....My comment referred more to rarely seeing anyone out and about shooting film.

I'm not sure where you are in France, but a fair few of the posters in this thread live in big UK cities, and it's only for that reason I imagine (y)

Just want to add to this - over the last few months, I have seen a lot of Billingham bags, especially on the Tube. A lot more than you'd expect, looking at, say, online sales of them.

I've seen a lot of bags that look a lot like billinghams, not many actual billinghams though

I've seen a lot of bags that look a lot like billinghams, not many actual billinghams though

Lots of Billingham style bags (ASOS or someone must be producing something very similar looking) but lots of Hadleys as well.

I don't tend to notice them out in the Real World (shudder) but online I see tons of people in various places with Pentax MX/MEs. All good, in my opinion :D

I wonder it the 35sp was once mine, I sold one to a very enthusiastic person in London in the week before Christmas.

But just after Christmas I saw 2 young guys with an old Nikon and canon slr with 50mm on them in Bourton on The Water, didn't see which models though.

Last edited:
I've only seen one person with a film camera - Canon SLR - in the last few years. He was an archaeologist working at a dig not far from where we live.

We spent some time in Edinburgh and Stirling last summer, and went to both the castles in July. That's 'tourist' season and they were seething, but I didn't see a single film camera. I wasn't actually trying to spot them, but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a few anyway.

Most of the people we know don't even own cameras. They can't see the point of photography unless it's a party, and a phone camera is fine for that.

Don't think I've ever noticed someone else shooting film? I see a lot of people with DLSR's though.

I'm a canon EOS 33 and ricoh GR1v man personally!

i saw a chappy with a leica of some variety during the summer, but just locally it tends to be me with the film camera

I saw a guy with an F6 in Carlisle over Xmas. I had my little Minolta Hi-matic with me and we had a good chat while our wives were shopping.
He'd had his F6 since 2000 and although he shoots digital as well he just prefers film. Good man I say.

Andy

Wot??

No mention of the good old K-1000?

No Linhof Technikas either?

Mamiyas?

I don't think folk around here have a clue what a Mamiya RZ looks like, nor what it's used for, as I get asked what I'm filming ( as in video):thinking: when I go out with mine ( perhaps it's the WLF that fools em :LOL:).

Mindst you, I get strange looks regardless of what film camera I take out. I did start to believe I had two heads or something until I realised that I was basically ignored when carrying the D80....seems that is an acceptable piece of equipment to use in the 21st century:D

I don't think folk around here have a clue what a Mamiya RZ looks like, nor what it's used for, as I get asked what I'm filming ( as in video):thinking: when I go out with mine ( perhaps it's the WLF that fools em :LOL:).

I get that quite a bit with the RB too (y)

That happens when they ask me where the screen is and what memory cards does it take, or more commonly now, "can you even get film these days" (y) :bat:

'Can you even get film these days?'

It really annoys me does this, 12 years ago most people still used a film camera its not as if it was during medieval times......:bang:

Also

'Are there still places that develop film?' Have you not noticed the ****** off big machine in Adsa/Tecsos?....:annoyed::boxer:

Andy

"How many megapixels is that?"

A classic phrase heard so so many times...always makes me giggle :D

'Can you even get film these days?'

It really annoys me does this, 12 years ago most people still used a film camera its not as if it was during medieval times......:bang:

Also

'Are there still places that develop film?' Have you not noticed the ****** off big machine in Adsa/Tecsos?....:annoyed::boxer:

Andy

I try to avoid supermarkets, so which ones in Cheshire still develop film? I am not far from Tesco in Congleton and a bit further from Asda in Winsford and Crewe, and maybe there is an Asda off the A500 towards Stoke. Do any of these develop film? And if they do, is it only 35mm C41?

Back