Most Common film cameras out and about...

Yesterday I bumped into a bunch of fellow locals who did some street photography in the city centre...my Mamiya M645J brought some balance to the digital stuff they were carrying...:D

just having one of those psychic moments ,,,,and next saturday i can see lots of fillum cameras in and around ,,,,,,,,,Greenland ,,,,no,,,no,,,,hold on its coming through now ,,,,,,,,Greenock ! no Greenwich ;)
looking forward to it

Have noticed the Fuji Instax cameras have become very popular over here in recent months, getting a lot of shelf space, and not just in camera shops!

The gf bought one recently, and I have to say it is great to sit and go through a little pile of actual physical photo after a holiday or night out! A bit over-priced but worth it imo.

Ive yet to bump Into somebody carrying a medium format camera funnily enough

You manage to walk around them then?

I have seen people out with Rolleiflexes, Pentax Spotmatics and once, someone with a Mamiya 645.

(some of those were reflections in a mirror).

Steve.

Was strolling around Greenwich on Saturday, turned a corner and there was a mob with all sorts of film cameras.... wonderful collection by the looks of it.

I would have gone over for a chat, but some of them looked a bit unstable.

I swear I overheard one look at my digital camera and whisper 'burn the heretic' to another. So, I backed away slowly and legged it.

:)

Oh Oh! that was Nick, he always wants to burn things.....

Was strolling around Greenwich on Saturday, turned a corner and there was a mob with all sorts of film cameras.... wonderful collection by the looks of it.

I would have gone over for a chat, but some of them looked a bit unstable.

I swear I overheard one look at my digital camera and whisper 'burn the heretic' to another. So, I backed away slowly and legged it.

:)

cant have been us then ,,,if only some looked unstable :D

Came across two youngsters shooting the sunset yesterday evening on digital.

I went across to take a shot of the scene on their lcd screen then explained that i was unable to show them the result as it was shot on film.

With that the eldest lad pulled out a well used and battered but still operational OM-1 from his camera bag whilst explaining that he'd taken a very similar photo himself.

Unfortuanatley he felt that his camera was "Mosh" and although he enjoyed using it, he also felt embarassed to show it off because of ridicule from his mates.

Nonethless at 15 years old they had already got a fantastic understanding of photography and had played around at being creative including doing star trails on film.......In addition, they had taught themselves purely through books, internet and practice.

Asha said:
Came across two youngsters shooting the sunset yesterday evening on digital.

I went across to take a shot of the scene on their lcd screen then explained that i was unable to show them the result as it was shot on film.

With that the eldest lad pulled out a well used and battered but still operational OM-1 from his camera bag whilst explaining that he'd taken a very similar photo himself.

Unfortuanatley he felt that his camera was "Mosh" and although he enjoyed using it, he also felt embarassed to show it off because of ridicule from his mates.

Nonethless at 15 years old they had already got a fantastic understanding of photography and had played around at being creative including doing star trails on film.......In addition, they had taught themselves purely through books, internet and practice.

Great story Asha. Film will get 'em in the end...

Long live film, here we are top marks if anyone can identify the camera.

d6c50414-f31c-473f-969f-a69c08009089_zps8f8f6a80.jpg

.....Unfortuanatley he felt that his camera was "Mosh" and although he enjoyed using it, he also felt embarassed to show it off because of ridicule from his mates......

He was embarrassed to show off his OM-1? I feel proud using my film cameras, I'm only 18 and I have lots of older people(older than me) coming up and saying funny things like 'God why are you using this old junk' and sometimes I get lucky and someone says 'I've got one of those, do you want it?'

It's amazing how many people I can meet on a photography way out.

I have a much loved Pentax film camera collection. I always try to take something with me. I often bump into other film users and many are students for whom ghe K1000 and MX are often course first choice.

Was out yesterday in the depths of Somerset with my favourite big pocket camera. A Pentax MX with 40mm Pancake M lens.

On my travels a few were surprised at the size of the camera.

Its nice to have a film camera to keep me focussed (excuse the pun) on having just 36 frames.

Bit of a result. Saw a sign for a jumble sale and so dived in.

Found a Canon EOS300V no lend or batteries but with body cap. Clean body and looked ok. Could nkt check it but was a no brainer when I asked the price....£3!!!!! At home stuck some CD2 batteries and an old 50mm prime lens and a the right noises and clicks heard.

Hoping to get out with it loaded with film. Might have a 655 day yoo!

I love film but I enjoy ghd ease digital gives me.

Might be worth hitting the jumble sales!

H

I have a much loved Pentax film camera collection. I always try to take something with me. I often bump into other film users and many are students for whom ghe K1000 and MX are often course first choice.

Was out yesterday in the depths of Somerset with my favourite big pocket camera. A Pentax MX with 40mm Pancake M lens.

On my travels a few were surprised at the size of the camera.

Its nice to have a film camera to keep me focussed (excuse the pun) on having just 36 frames.

Bit of a result. Saw a sign for a jumble sale and so dived in.

Found a Canon EOS300V no lend or batteries but with body cap. Clean body and looked ok. Could nkt check it but was a no brainer when I asked the price....£3!!!!! At home stuck some CD2 batteries and an old 50mm prime lens and a the right noises and clicks heard.

Hoping to get out with it loaded with film. Might have a 655 day yoo!

I love film but I enjoy ghd ease digital gives me.

Might be worth hitting the jumble sales!

H

Well have fun (y) I could afford a DSLR but will not get one because I couldn't be bothered to learn all computer stuff on it :LOL:

I saw a very lonely looking OM soft case sitting on top of a telephone cabinet on my way to work this morning, only reason I'm sure its not mine is I've not had the OM10 out in a few weeks and its the only one with a never-ready case.

When the weather is nice one can spot many, many cameras, some of them film, at our local expanse of mud/water/trees/prickly bushes that pairs of men emerge from. There seems to have been a resurgence in Prakticas, though given the price of for example, a mint Nikon EM on ebay at about £15, I can't work out why. A bit hardcore. Cheap lenses maybe, or a fashion accessory. Canon 1000's and similar numbers also seem popular. I am normally seen with an F100 or F5 meself. Or even an F3 if I am feeling common.

An F3 is a sign of a real man, a man who has seen action, a man who can look death in the eye and laugh. Why did I sell mine? I feel less manly now........ Sad face.

Andy G

The Nikon F3, a wonderful camera, great to use but all the charm and aesthetic quality of a house brick or Zenith E :eek:

RaglanSurf said:
The Nikon F3, a wonderful camera, great to use but all the charm and aesthetic quality of a house brick or Zenith E :eek:

Ouch !! In 1976 when I saw the F2 for the first time I thought it was the best looking camera ever. Not changed my mind. (I know it's not an F3 but not dissimilar)

Maybe not a charming camera but a rough, outdoorsy type. Probably wears a lumberjack jacket and big boots and can live for weeks in the wild on twigs and beetles. Not like your namby-pamby, ooo I need a waterproof and a big jumper cameras, oh no, not like those at all.

Andy

If cameras could fight, an F3 would be rightly undefeated against most challengers, but it would back down sharpish if an F2 squared up to it. :naughty:

I now have a strange mental image of bravado fuelled film photographers playing "camera conkers" with a variety of old metal bodies cameras on the end of straps. :wacky:

If anyone fancies a go I'll use my Nikkormat actually cos it's worth a fraction of the F/F2/F3 and is probably just as hard.

Ouch !! In 1976 when I saw the F2 for the first time I thought it was the best looking camera ever. Not changed my mind. (I know it's not an F3 but not dissimilar)

Yip. The F2 is still the epitome of form, function and sheer sexiness for me!

redddraggon said:
I bought an F3 last May and I've still only taken 7 shots with it :shrug:

You're just not trying hard enough...

I'd also like to enter the Praktica MTL-3 as a contender for "most tank-like camera"...

Well I think one of the rules would have to be that the camera works before and after the game of conkers.

That in itself would rule out most Prakticas and Zenits. :whistle:

I thought I'd bump this up - a few days ago I saw a girl wielding a TLR (I couldn't tell what TLR it was, didn't look like a Rolleiflex) at Victoria Station.

Then today, on Oxford Street, there was a guy with a Billingham Hadley and a black Nikon rangefinder - an S2, S3 or SP I think. Funny how these things appear in quick succession - n.b. I had a 500C/M in my bag at the time!

Any spottings recently?

Last week in Brighton I saw a girl with a Pentax KM.

I saw a dude wielding a Hasselblad in a little fishing village in Hong Kong. I was carrying my Bronica, so I thought I'd at least nod and smile and he might do the same, but he wasn't interested in anyone else at the time...

I did, however, chat to a guy who was using a Horseman large format camera one night right in the middle of a busy Hong Kong street though.

Dont think I see much, maybe the odd Canon.
I once got asked by a girl on the train once about my FE2 as she was doing a photographic cause at college.

Back