Most Common film cameras out and about...

I try to avoid supermarkets, so which ones in Cheshire still develop film? I am not far from Tesco in Congleton and a bit further from Asda in Winsford and Crewe, and maybe there is an Asda off the A500 towards Stoke. Do any of these develop film? And if they do, is it only 35mm C41?

Go on the net and check what superstores do photos...e.g Asda have a symbol, then phone them up to check whether they actually develope and scan film...btw it would be 35mm C41 only

That is a helpful post, but having done the net, why should I have to phone them? Why can’t they just say what they can do on the web site? And if they only do 35mm, why not say that as well? And how much do they charge when you phone them? Per minute?
For MF stuff or E6 stuff, we are basically saying, do it ourselves or send it off to a good lab, are we not?

Last edited:
That was a bit of a rant, sorry. No offence to excalibur2, I just don’t like Asda much (or Tesco)

Last edited:
That was a bit of a rant, sorry. No offence to excalibur2, I just don’t like Asda much (or Tesco)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

If they can keep cheap processing available then their evil rating does drop a little.

The Crewe Asda develops, only 35mm C41 though. They are ok but I only use them for films I've run through to test a camera etc. Don't know about any of the others.

Andy

For MF stuff or E6 stuff, we are basically saying, do it ourselves or send it off to a good lab, are we not?

Indeed.
..and as for Asda or Tesco or Boots etc...find a good one and they are as good as a lab except you'll probably get less dust spots etc with a lab.
Most of my 35mm shots posted here were dev and\or scanned in supermarkets and I can't see any difference in quality from others, who post here with their shots, done by a lab :shrug:
...and you are quite welcome to say why you think the quality of my supermarket shots are carp as I don't mind criticism :wave:

Last edited:
If you have a spotty neg from a supermarket? Don't worry go to Adobe and download CS2 for free

My local Tesco (Oldfields Road Sutton) stopped doing in house film developing a year or so back when they revamped the photography section of the store. Now they send it offsite & it comes back to you in the post. The quality has been OK, but not as good as the store used to do in house. Think that they had a bit of a whiz looking after the processing there.

My local Tesco (Oldfields Road Sutton) stopped doing in house film developing a year or so back when they revamped the photography section of the store. Now they send it offsite & it comes back to you in the post. The quality has been OK, but not as good as the store used to do in house. Think that they had a bit of a whiz looking after the processing there.

The problem is:- we all want to keep labs and supermarkets going but there is not enough of us to go around, and business don't care about charity only profit :crying: ...if Mr Cohen and family all had film cameras and as they probably own most shares, the film part might still be operating :cautious: ;) :shrug:

Thanks for the inof. Anybody tried C41 B&W at Asda?

just taken one to tesco and they said they can't do B&W! I pointed out that it is c41 processing and he said what's that. Anyway eventually he agreed to take it but would be 24hrs as he would have to check if they could do it.

Thankfully I have nearly got everything to start developing at home. :)

I commonly see myself around and about, with something from the Spotmatic range, an OM10 or OM4Ti, a Yashica T4, or if I'm feeling slightly obtuse, an Ansco GAF Memo II.

Whichever I use, I've found that mostly the people who talk to me are interested in the cameras, or are professional photographers (like at my cousin's wedding) who are disappointed they're using digital (and therefore a bit jealous).

I haven't seen anyone else about with a film camera, which surprises me given how popular they are on eBay (especially the decent modern compacts like mju-II and Yashica T3/T4).

I guess a mju II is so pocketable you wouldn't see it unless someone's actually making a shot! (It's my poster child for a small, pocketable full frame camera... what the RX1 might become when it grows up!)

I guess a mju II is so pocketable you wouldn't see it unless someone's actually making a shot! (It's my poster child for a small, pocketable full frame camera... what the RX1 might become when it grows up!)

Even being a film nut...if I wanted a small P&S camera it wouldn't be film it would be digital.

excalibur2 said:
Even being a film nut...if I wanted a small P&S camera it wouldn't be film it would be digital.

The problem I find with pocket-sized digital compacts is they generally have too much time lag in turning on, shutter delay and waiting to take the next picture. Film can be much more instant for great candids - except waiting for film to wind on. It was one of the things I used to love about my mju II before it died.

The problem I find with pocket-sized digital compacts is they generally have too much time lag in turning on, shutter delay and waiting to take the next picture. Film can be much more instant for great candids - except waiting for film to wind on. It was one of the things I used to love about my mju II before it died.

Well I don't know much about digital cameras (as I usually watch other people using them), but that seems a good point (y)
One thing though.....I was at a family wedding with a SLR (waiting outside) when the crowd surge around the couple as they were leaving the church blocking my view...my brother in law held his digital P&S about the heads looked at the screen and shot, so he got the pic and I didn't. :bang:
Another time at the same wedding:- we were chatting in an empty room when music started and the bride and groom walked in and starting the first dance, the same brother in law whipped his camera out and took some shots... the time I got my SLR with flash setup out of the bag (in about 10 seconds) the rest of the guests flooded into the room :bang:

I'll never make a newspaper reporter :crying:

It depends i suppose on how you use it. For example for sunny beach shots I take my Lomo Slim Devil (Vivitar Ultrawide and Slim) because I love the colours and lens flare you get from the plastic lens. I always carry a digital anyway, but having a P&S film camera can be fun at time. Also don't have to worry about getting it wet or dropping it in the sand.

I saw a bloke with a Leica II in Liverpool on saturday. Good looking fella, charming, handsome and he looked really intelligent as well, probably popular with the ladies too. :naughty:

Hmm, I never experienced this with any of my film compacts. They wound on as fast as I worked the advance lever!

I saw a bloke with a Leica II in Liverpool on saturday. Good looking fella, charming, handsome and he looked really intelligent as well, probably popular with the ladies too. :naughty:

Funny that, I saw him being taken away in a straight jacket by some geezers in white coats, they were muttering something about delusions of grandeur and that they needed to up the dosage next time... :wacky:

Apart from Lomo/Diana stuff, I've seen a couple of Leicas lately, and a Hassleblad 500. I'm currently using a Nikon N80 for 35mm and a Bronica ETRS for 120. Developing b&w and colour myself.

Last edited:
They hav'nt made a cell yet that can hold me....mwah ha ha

I haven't seen anyone else with a film camera for years.

The ones I take out are Yashica T5, Olympus MJU II, Minox 35 GL, Minolta X300.

I usually take my Nikon D3100 plus one of the film compacts, or the Minolta X300 with a Ricoh GRD1.

I would use my Olympus XA2, but it's got that intermittent dodgy shutter button so it stays at home now.

Hardly ever seem to be any film cameras anywhere other than my book shelf! Was sat next to a chap in a pub recently with a Nikon FM3a though. Very nice indeed. I also photographed a wedding where a guest was using a pentax k1000 and 50mm lens. Something effortlessly cool about that generation of slr.

Perhaps we all ought to have a small TPFC tattoo on our earlobes....

I also photographed a wedding where a guest was using a pentax k1000 and 50mm lens. Something effortlessly cool about that generation of slr.

At my sisters wedding the pro photographer commented when I pulled my Pentax MX/50mm f1.7 out of my suit pocket 'now that's a cool camera'! I was well chuffed. shame I had got through so much wine the later low light shots were so badly focussed :shake:

If only 120 roll would fit in a K-1000:D

Yeah, I had a quick chat with my cousin's wedding photographer about my Spotmatic. I avoided low-light and alcohol problems by using my Yashica T4 in the evening - easily pocketable whilst dancing!

Haven't seen a film camera in Edinburgh for ages. I know it's not just me but they are few and far between.

Haven't seen a film camera in Edinburgh for ages. I know it's not just me but they are few and far between.

I've been out and about in Edinburgh a couple of times over the past few months with my film cameras, so you're right that you're not alone... but I haven't seen anyone else with one during that span—in either Edinburgh or Glasgow.

FruitFlakes said:
Probably not me, for some weird reason I've never brought my Leica to the Southbank with me... It's almost always the Rolleiflex or Hexar!

Mine makes rare appearances on the southbank but hasn't been there in a while!

Had a chat with a nice guy photographing the graffiti walls in Manchester with a Seagull....never seen one before.

Back