Most famous Photograph Ever?

Hubble Deep field

hubble_ultra_deep_field1.jpg

Very good add. This is a monumentally important image. :clap:

I think some people are being slightly loose with the "Most famous ever" request... well that or I have not been exposed to enough :LOL:

how about the Princess Diana see through dress pic.

(sorry can't see how to post pic:bonk:)

Last edited:
cobra_lite said:
What was he supposed to do? Take her home with him?
You could say the same about Nick Ut's image of the napalmed vietnamese girl above or Don McCullin's shot of the albino Biafran boy.
It was a war - thousands were starving and dying - you can't do a damned thing about it as a photographer other than report it as compassionately as possible in the hope that humanity steps up to prevent it happening again in the future - that it hasn't worked thus far doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying however.

Carter and McCullin had major difficulties with their respective shots - Carter eventually committed suicide as the pressure over winning a Pulitzer for the image and the surrounding controversy as to whether he had staged it tipped an already unstable man over the edge.
Don McCullin today cites his image as the most harrowing he ever took and the one that continues to haunt him to this day.

The food station was just 1km away from where the image was taken.

The food station was just 1km away from where the image was taken.

I read the book too.
Not as simple as that.
Do you help one?
Two?
Ten?
Ten Thousand?
There were aid workers nearby.
His job was to record the event.

This one:

reihstag496.n.jpg

Which lead to this one:

moscow-parade-1.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has thought of this one.

view_from_the_window_at_le_.jpg

The first ever true photograph by Joseph Neipce from 1825 'A view from the window at Le Gras'

Andy

This one:

reihstag496.n.jpg

I've always thought this incorrectly captioned - it's not the Reichstag (as anyone who knows Berlin will tell you) but the ReichsMuseum at the other end of Unter den Linden.
The flag was raised before the building was cleared - a half-company of SS and attached troops were still fighting in the basements and weren't eradicated until two days after the image was taken.

As an ex-PicEd, bad captions are one of my pet hates...

I've always thought this incorrectly captioned - it's not the Reichstag (as anyone who knows Berlin will tell you) but the ReichsMuseum at the other end of Unter den Linden.
The flag was raised before the building was cleared - a half-company of SS and attached troops were still fighting in the basements and weren't eradicated until two days after the image was taken.

try being a red army tog ! :LOL:

There is one tog from USSR whose work has deeply touched me, but I forgot his name. he had the pic of people digging a canal , it was edited to them smiling etc, although you could see deep pain in their eyes in the original and they were all political prisoners.

Is this the most copied photo ever?

I've done my own version for a mate's CD cover, which involved standing on top of a step ladder on Abbey Road early on a Sunday morning to get the perspective approximately right [they've moved the crossing a little down the road since the 1960s].

littleacorns2.jpg

this was my cover for Volume 1

littleacorns.jpg

[though that was entirely CGI modelling done about ten years ago]

Perhaps you can guess one of his larger musical influences :)

Last edited:
It's attributed to Yevgeny Khaldei, Red Army photographer. 1941-1946

Though I have also seen it attributed to others.

This is the building:

been in Berlin couple of times. but I wouldn't risk upsetting the upstairs people by saying I won't edit my pic. art people were killed by having their own thoughts in USSR.

There was a picture of an Afghan woman kneeling in a football stadium about to be shot in the head with an AK47...Quite harrowing!

Another photo that it is claimed was stated as the original event was not recorded at the time.

I've done my own version for a mate's CD cover, which involved standing on top of a step ladder on Abbey Road early on a Sunday morning to get the perspective approximately right [they've moved the crossing a little down the road since the 1960s].

littleacorns2.jpg

this was my cover for Volume 1

littleacorns.jpg

[though that was entirely CGI modelling done about ten years ago]

Perhaps you can guess one of his larger musical influences :)

Brilliant (y)

Larry Burrows work needs a mention

burrows_papa13approach.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has thought of this one.

view_from_the_window_at_le_.jpg

The first ever true photograph by Joseph Neipce from 1825 'A view from the window at Le Gras'

Andy

I'm equally surprised that these two haven't reared their heads yet:

10900003-muybridge-image-of-horse-in-motion.jpg

Queen_Victoria_1887_s.jpg

Although the Bikini Atoll photo that James posted was one of my first thoughts.

I would have thought that this would be one of the most famous images in the UK:

stamp1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, Carl Sagan's 'pale blue dot'!

I didn't recognise it. I think I've usually seen it turned 90 degrees.

Earth's rise taken from the moon for me. That shot encompasses everything man has done. All the other photos are just snippets of what happens on that blue planet.

Last edited:
Oh, Carl Sagan's 'pale blue dot'!

I didn't recognise it. I think I've usually seen it turned 90 degrees.

What did he go and take it?

It was taken from Voyager 1, 3.7 billion miles away. It was taken on Carl Sagan's request not actually by him.

Globally - This one must be right up there......

Not only is an iconic photograph - it's a great example of photography recording a moment which few we party to.

5522624970_c2d87181ab_o.jpg

5522625200_541aedf105_z.jpg

Last edited:

You are mistaken, this was staged on the reichstag roof after Germans finally surrendered. Picture was taken on 2nd of may. I can be wrong but this photographed soldier was a Georgian called Kanntarian or sth like that.
On the other hand You are partly right originally flag was displayed when the building wasnt completely cleared on 30th of april by a party led by Minin.
But then there was nobody to take pictures. Similar story like with the Iwo Jima flag raising by US marines.

But still very powerfull image.

This is the building:

Berlin-Museum_Island.jpg

No its not!! :)

Last edited:
Back