Most overrated band?

Kiss
Pure Trash.

Saw their first UK gig at Hammersmith Odeon, quote enjoyed it, music wasn't great, but certainly put on a show.
Another old local favourite Stray was the support act, seen them a few times too
Iron Maiden have been known to cover some of their tracks such as the epic All In Your Mind

The Darkness are one of those bands not to be taken seriously, they take the p*** out of themselves and are a great band to see live.
Never rated Zeppelin a lot of their songs are very same and tedious.
Rainbow certainly weren't a pop band with Graham Bonnet on vocals, not as good a singer as Dio, but still rocking, it was just at a time that rock music was moving away from prog rock. Things turned sour with the arrival of Jo Lyn Turner and their music became way to soft.

You are joking aren't you, even Blackmore admits he went for chart success. Since you've been gone and All night long, catchy pop songs.

You are joking aren't you, even Blackmore admits he went for chart success. Since you've been gone and All night long, catchy pop songs.
Your idea of pop is obviously very different to mine and there was a lot more to the Down to Earth album than just those two tracks.

Your idea of pop is obviously very different to mine and there was a lot more to the Down to Earth album than just those two tracks.

Your idea of prog is different to mine if you think that's what Rising was.

Over-rated, classic bands - remembering the sense of humour.

Tangerine Dream
Kraftwerke
The Sex Pistols
Genesis
Hawkwind

Your idea of prog is different to mine if you think that's what Rising was.
Prog rock took on many different forms with different bands. But Down To Earth could never be described as pop music.

I like Amy Winehouse's voice and her interpretations are powerful. I guess her reputation had the usual "dead rock star" effect following her demise.

Tangerine Dream
Kraftwerke
The Sex Pistols
Genesis
Hawkwind

I agree about most of these. I saw TD at the Greens Playhouse in Glasgow a long long time ago. It was very atmospheric but I doubt I'd have the stomach for it nowadays

I like Amy Winehouse's voice and her interpretations are powerful. I guess her reputation had the usual "dead rock star" effect following her demise.
Certainly not a rock star.

Tangerine Dream
Kraftwerke
The Sex Pistols
Genesis
Hawkwind

Good list, not sure about Kraftwerk though, really influential and pioneers of electronic music.
Very low key band, no hint of them in Dusseldorf their home city, I asked when I was there, nothing of note.
Played theTrans Europe Express album only last week, that actual train was pretty cool too.

Tangerine Dream
Kraftwerke
The Sex Pistols
Genesis
Hawkwind

No way Kraftwerk should be on that list. Look at what was in the charts in 1974 when Autobahn was released. Or in 1977 when Trans Europe Express was released. They were truly visionary and ahead of their time.

Sex Pistols? They have never been overrated. If anything they are woefully underrated. Steve Jones is an awesome guitarist, and the music world appreciates the drumming abilities of Paul Cook.
Never Mind the b*****ks is packed full of great tracks.

Kaiser Chiefs

U2
The Smiths, monotonous dreary clap trap.

Damn you! I had managed to completely forget the Smiths! Probably the only band that I actively silence on the (thankfully) rare occasions their dirges get played on the radio. I will admit to quite liking the guitar work but the twit with the flowers up his arse starts whining and spoils it.

Damn you! I had managed to completely forget the Smiths! Probably the only band that I actively silence on the (thankfully) rare occasions their dirges get played on the radio. I will admit to quite liking the guitar work but the twit with the flowers up his arse starts whining and spoils it.

TBH I know Johnny Marr is feted all over the world, but his guitar playing only ever sounded very very ordinary to me (speaking as a guitarist - hearing it and thinking why would anyone bother to sound like that).

So yes, Smiths so forgettable that we both forgot them.

TBH I know Johnny Marr is feted all over the world, but his guitar playing only ever sounded very very ordinary to me (speaking as a guitarist - hearing it and thinking why would anyone bother to sound like that).

So yes, Smiths so forgettable that we both forgot them.
They only did one song worthy of listening too, How Soon is Now. It was used for a Jeans advert (possibly Lee Cooper) but just the music looped and the awful singing edited out. I bought a copy and did the same just so I could continue to listen to it. A cover version was used for a tv show, Charmed. The vocals so much better than the whining Morrissey, removing the urge to slit ones wrists.

Queen
Started out as a poor mans Led Zeppelin, ended up being a panto act.

You beat me to it! I thought I was in a definitive minority on this. I couldn't stand his voice, powerful as it was, and never found any of their songs amazing.

I have a long list of bands who's mass popularity puzzle me, but I'll just throw out a few more:

Bon Jovi, G'n'R, Aerosmith

You beat me to it! I thought I was in a definitive minority on this. I couldn't stand his voice, powerful as it was, and never found any of their songs amazing.

I have a long list of bands who's mass popularity puzzle me, but I'll just throw out a few more:

GnR were like a breath of fresh or maybe that should be grimy air when Appetite for Destruction came out.
Think most of the praise was for that album rather than the later stuff.
Must be thirty years ago now, still gets played quite often, some real classics on there.

GnR were like a breath of fresh or maybe that should be grimy air when Appetite for Destruction came out.
Think most of the praise was for that album rather than the later stuff.
Must be thirty years ago now, still gets played quite often, some real classics on there.

Not to me, couldn't stand them. And I like my rock music. I'm sure many would deem Nirvana, Iron Maiden or Pearl Jam to be over-rated, where I think they were legends.

Last edited:
I appreciate that my dislike of Queen puts me in a minority - I don't care too much about that: Brilliant and popular are rarely bedfellows.
Can be summed up by 'all poodle rock' -the 80's was the worst time for 'heavy rock' which just turned into very formulaic pop music. Musically as complex as Status Quo, emotionally as engaging as Right Said Fred.

I appreciate that my dislike of Queen puts me in a minority - I don't care too much about that: Brilliant and popular are rarely bedfellows.

Can be summed up by 'all poodle rock' -the 80's was the worst time for 'heavy rock' which just turned into very formulaic pop music. Musically as complex as Status Quo, emotionally as engaging as Right Said Fred.

'Hairspray metal' is what we used to call it. Def Leopard were another, and further back awful rubbish like Motley Crew who only got famous IMO because they had models flash their bits in their videos, their music certainly wasn't very memorable.

I remember having a hard time distinguishing between Bon Jovi, Def Leopard and Bryan Adams during that era, and people who loved one tended to like all 3 not surprisingly - it was 3 barely different versions of the same thing

Right said Fred ... LOL .. completely forgot about them and that one song they were known for

I remember having a hard time distinguishing between Bon Jovi, Def Leopard and Bryan Adams during that era, and people who loved one tended to like all 3 not surprisingly - it was 3 barely different versions of the same thing
Totally different styles, I fail to see how you could not distinguish them especially Bryan Adams.
Mind you to be honest I have never heard of Def Leopard are they a tribute band?

Last edited:
Totally different styles, I fail to see how you could not distinguish them especially Bryan Adams.
Mind you to be honest I have never heard of Def Leopard are they a tribute band?

Hilarious, that's how much I didn't care to look up the [in]correct spelling :p

They sound very similar to me, all muck.

I'm not talking Adam's whiney pop ballad stuff, more when he was pretending to be a rocker

Last edited:
Judas Priest were from about that time, some really fine metal tracks especially on their early albums.
Still got Sad Wings Of Destiny and Sin After Sin on vinyl, labels were Gull then CBS if I remember correctly.
Perhaps we should have an underrated thread?

U2, Coldplay, Nirvana, AC/DC, Radiohead to name but a few...

Surprised to see AC/DC, they were I thought generally accepted as good.
Saw them at the Marquee in the late 70's, brilliant gig and even after the death of Bon Scott made some fine albums.

Saw them at the Marquee in the late 70's, brilliant gig and even after the death of Bon Scott made some fine albums.

It's one band that does nothing for me whatsoever. I have this convo about them every time they come on the radio at work and I get shot down in flames every time :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

It's one band that does nothing for me whatsoever. I have this convo about them every time they come on the radio at work and I get shot down in flames every time :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Was the "shot down in flames" an intentional pun, its one of their tracks from Highway To Hell

Was the "shot down in flames" an intentional pun, its one of their tracks from Highway To Hell

It was indeed...but I still just don't get the hype about them lol

You make it sound as though they aren't still around.

Back