Most useful, non-official-photographic thing in your camera bag?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
What do you carry in your camera bag that's absolutely essential, cannot-do-without, item that you use as a gadget but which isn't 'officially' a photographic item? eg gaffatape, velcro ties, multi-tool etc

a 5 pound note just in case.......a bottle top (so many sports ground remove the lids when buying a drink but most are same size ) ear plugs (hate heavy metal) ..Pencil and small pad... never ever carry a pen.. you will be sorry if it leaks...

Taking the pen out of mine tonight Kipax! :) Some great tips so far, thanks .. keep them coming

Plastic bags for wet ground, elastic bands for wrapping round used batteries or holding things together, boiled sweets, small medical kit for cuts and grazes and a lighter and some cigarettes. I don't smoke, but sometimes run into the local human wildlife at unfamiliar locations that take too keen interest in what I'm doing, so it saves me getting into a situation where I brain them with a tripod.

Plastic bags for wet ground, elastic bands for wrapping round used batteries or holding things together, boiled sweets, small medical kit for cuts and grazes and a lighter and some cigarettes. I don't smoke, but sometimes run into the local human wildlife at unfamiliar locations that take too keen interest in what I'm doing, so it saves me getting into a situation where I brain them with a tripod.

Good call with the cigs and lighter, i could have done with those in my bag on a couple of occasions

I have a £5 note and also a plastic bag to rest my bag on when it's wet. In the summer months I also carry a small square of foam that I can sit on if I want to stake something out or just sit and enjoy the view. It rolls up and is very light. It's the firm type that came in packaging - a bit like pipe insulation.

Get yourself out of the stone age tony and get yourself a samsung galaxy note 3 lol.
Maybe, but he don`t need to carry a powerbank for his pad and pencil.

A bottle of water (carried outside the bag though), plastic bags to lie on, notebook and pen pencil, and a smaller plastic bag to cover the camera and lens in heavy rain.

Ade forgot to add the he caries a picture of Brash to keep his spirits up when things are going wrong :naughty:

Last edited:
Swiss army knife, notebook and pen (may change to pencil!), a couple of pound coins, a snack of some description but that's mainly for my daughter if we are out somewhere and usually a bandana.

Ade forgot to add the he caries a picture of Brash to keep his spirits up when things are going wrong :naughty:
Yep, no matter how bad things are, I look at that oaf and suddenly things are not so bad..........:)

Hot Hands Handwarmers, bloody Raynauds can make for a miserable day, Sony Walkman mp3 player (love heavy metal), lighter and smokes (for me, sod the local wildlife) and hand gel/microfibre towel

A little 2xAAA cell torch. Came as a freebie with a pack of Duracells a few years back (about 15!)

ipod (mostly for music but also for apps like the ND calc one, also have a pdf of the full camera manual on the Kindle app), wee aaa Lenser torch, hair bands (same purpose as elastic bands but a bit more durable).

a very soft angled toothbrush... ideal at getting dust out of where the front of the lens meets the black surround ;)

A satellite locator, one of these, http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

I mainly work alone, and in some very remote spots, way beyond mobile phone coverage. I had a moment a couple of years back where I nearly fell in a spot where I wouldn't have been found for a while, even something not normally life threatening like a broken leg would have been a real issue, November, -5 degrees outside, and no chance of being found.

That piece of kit is karabinered to my kit bag, is waterproof, shockproof, dustproof and runs off nothing more exotic than AA batteries. Should I need it it sends my location to a distress centre who summon emergency services, mountain rescue etc. If I want I can even send a message from my iPhone through it.

If I never use it I'll be a happy man, if I ever have to use it it will be the finest £200 I've ever spent.

even something not normally life threatening like a broken leg would have been a real issue

Your comment reminded me of a picture in Chris Bonington's book about climbing Everest. It shows his friend, Doug Scott, crawling his way back down the mountain with two broken legs.

Steve.

Last edited:
Mine is a decent torch as well. an LED Lenser of some description, can't remember which model but its pretty good. :plus1:
something else thats been more useful than i imagined is a pair of twesers!

a tea towel just in case my camera gets a soaking, just mop up most of the water and do a proper clean when i get home. (y)

Back